Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013 | 09:52 PM
          Sailrider 1
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          I have used helmet locks, but on this bike I carry a cable and lock and just wrap it around the chin guard(s) and to whatever part of the bike is handy. I don't give it second thought after that.
          I do the same when leaving my Shoei or Schuberth on the bike.

Old 12-09-2013 | 09:57 PM
          Dusty Bones
          Banned

Originally Posted by Homeward Bound
          There's some pretty horrendous photos on Google ... and I don't even have the stomach to look at whatever "bestgore.com" is. One of the most shocking I saw many years ago was a biker, fully conscious and sitting up having his photo taken, who had lost his entire bottom jaw in an accident. Completely gone. His tongue was just flopping down.

I kind of think they ought to include a slideshow of the likes during all driving or riding training.

Not so long ago I found this diagram (below) which made me think. It's from a study of head impacts to motorcyclists. Note the proportion to the jaw area. I've also been taken to the hospice where a friend of friend now lives with brain damage having had a spill at not much speed with one of those 'beany' helmets. The guy was gone and never coming back. Not a vegetable but really retarded needing constant care and medication and given to rages.

I've never had an accident wearing a open-face helmet although I do wear them sometimes and, over all, I've hurt myself more falling off a bicycle than a motorcycle ... again landing on my chin (which would not have saved by a helmet). That includes falling off around 80mph with a full face.

I remember during that being face down and opening my eyes and seeing the road go by like the surface of an angle grinder. And closed them again. It felt like falling down a cliff face. Having skinned more than a few knees in my time, I can imagine the mess it would have made.

At the time I bought into the concept that there was a pay off between the weight of a full face causing neck injury and head damages but I don't think that's so true these days.

I have to say this though, being young and physically fit helps when it comes to avoid much of pain of accidents. I'm glad I got my crazy days out of the way when I was still a kid, just coming out of sports and used to falling, rolling and being hurt ... because if I fell now, I'd sure would react so well and feel it more.

Although I have no imperial evidence to support this, human skeletons are all pretty much the same size and I'd much rather fall on my head weighing 140 lbs than 200 lbs ... I'm sure a lot of damage happens because folks are out of shape, older now, and land badly.

Long story short. I got a nasty neck injury last deployment. Good docs and some resting got me back on the bike. Wearing any open face helmet unless Im running down to the stop n rob is not doable. Its like a parachute on my head. Horrible experience. My helmet now is heavier but cuts the air so much better I can do long rides again, as in I did a 879 mile one day run a tad over a year after I got injured. My ACH saved my skull from being crushed so I know the even better designed for impact MC helmet will protect me better if I ever hit the ground that fast again.

The kool kid hey look at me so you can see the face of the owner of this highly polished overly loud bike belongs to me helmets are suicide. Any one who does any kind of non flower sniffing miles will get a chunk of road junk to the face at some point anyway and the trendy look at me helmet will gather dust real fast. Just this past summer I got hit so hard in the face shield with a rock it broke it. It would have knocked my *** out if I had a 3 snap 500 waiting for the 5 snap to come out to be the trendiest kid on the block.

Old 12-09-2013 | 10:20 PM
          Homeward Bound
          Banned

And then there's the likes of this motorcycle helmet. It's user hit a bus at 70 MPH ...

Yah, it's true. Aerodynamics (and tiredness inducing internal noise) is another issue not spoken enough off.

As I just posted in the Bell thread, I wish someone would make a made-to-measure, injection-molded helmet. I would not give a damn how it looked (as long as it was black) as long as it did not give me pressure pains.

I have an old Bell full-face right now and it pushes against my face as speed.

Old 12-09-2013 | 11:22 PM
          rdunnill
          Tourer

I have an old Bell full-face right now and it pushes against my face as speed.
          I have a budget Rodia modular and had no such problem on two rides from Seattle-to-Reno-and-back rides this last summer. (No windshield.) It was only $150 or so back in 2008.

Old 12-09-2013 | 11:58 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

And then there's the likes of this motorcycle helmet. It's user hit a bus at 70 MPH ...

As I just posted in the Bell thread, I wish someone would make a made-to-measure, injection-molded helmet. I would not give a damn how it looked (as long as it was black) as long as it did not give me pressure pains.
          That damage is not from an impact. Looks to me like the rider was knocked partially off the bike and scraped down the road.

Try Shoei or Arai, they design their helmets very well with aerodynamics in mind. And are extremely comfortable.

Old 12-10-2013 | 11:46 AM
          Oxford
          Cruiser

We are well aware of the risks involved. Just the fact that you ride a motorcycle says that you are willing to take on more risk than most folks. But, that level of risk is still your choice.

Old 12-10-2013 | 01:17 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

What is really funny is skydivers, virtually all road cyclists, skiiers, and competitive skateboarders wear helmets that are probably all better than beanies. Yet some are just tool cool for school and go helmetless.

Old 12-10-2013 | 01:33 PM
          mydogfarted
          Tourer

Originally Posted by rdunnill
          I have a budget Rodia modular and had no such problem on two rides from Seattle-to-Reno-and-back rides this last summer. (No windshield.) It was only $150 or so back in 2008.
          Time to replace that lid. The foam in the helmet hardens with age, and deteriorates from the sweat and oils from your hair and skin. Most helmet manufacturers and the testing organizations (SNELL, ECE, etc) recommend not using helmets more than 5 years past their manufacture date.

Old 12-10-2013 | 02:14 PM
          HedleyLamarr
          Road Captain

****'ll buff out...

Old 12-10-2013 | 02:36 PM
          AntoineDewey
          6th Gear

When I go to Austin TX next June (ROT Rally)
          I will wear my S&S half helmet,law or no law.
          It's the helmet I wear 99% of the time.
          When it's chilly out I put the ear guards in.
          I bought a flat black Hawk modular for really
          cold weather, but haven't ridden much yet this winter.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?