Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013 | 09:42 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          doesn't take into account severity of the injury and how well the person recovers.
          This is exactly my point. Having been a "would-be fatalities", and understanding better then most how a head injury can affect a life, I merely suggest that there are far too many variables to really comment on "costs due to motorcycle injuries". Maybe hospital/long term medical costs vs. burial costs, can be approximated but there are many other costs involved. That is the real important fact.

Ron

Old 07-14-2013 | 12:32 AM
          rickss69
          Stellar HDF Member
          Veteran: Marine Corp

Had around $50 in ebay bucks I needed to redeem soon so I ordered this high vis Bell... http://www.ebay.com/itm/390595309490...84.m1423.l2649 Can't help but to alert just a bit more than the black version I've been sporting.

Old 12-08-2013 | 06:38 PM
          rossnations537
          Stage III

If you have ever slid down the pavement face first with a FF, you will never go with anything else. I still have my face thanks to a FF and I will continue to wear one, even though I'm no longer a sportbike rider. Choose to be made fun of a little versus losing your face!

Old 12-08-2013 | 08:24 PM
          diverg
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by rossnations537
          If you have ever slid down the pavement face first with a FF, you will never go with anything else. I still have my face thanks to a FF and I will continue to wear one, even though I'm no longer a sportbike rider. Choose to be made fun of a little versus losing your face!
          Yep. I had a full face on when I went down last month. Broken rib, punctured lung etc. A little bit of road rash on the forearm none on the face due to the ff helmet. After looking at the helmet I'm glad I had it on.

Old 12-09-2013 | 04:29 AM
          Hopscotch
          Tourer

Originally Posted by diverg
          Yep. I had a full face on when I went down last month. Broken rib, punctured lung etc. A little bit of road rash on the forearm none on the face due to the ff helmet. After looking at the helmet I'm glad I had it on.
          I've been debating going full face for a while now. Question: anyone ever have a problem leaving the helmet on the bike? I would go Shoei as I've always loved their fit and the qwest fits my head like a glove but I don't want to carry it around the dealership or a bar, but leaving it on the bike could be an easy ****** and grab, knowing that Shoeis are expensive.

Old 12-09-2013 | 04:42 AM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hopscotch
          I've been debating going full face for a while now. Question: anyone ever have a problem leaving the helmet on the bike? I would go Shoei as I've always loved their fit and the qwest fits my head like a glove but I don't want to carry it around the dealership or a bar, but leaving it on the bike could be an easy ****** and grab, knowing that Shoeis are expensive.
          I put mine over the sissy bar if I am going in somewhere where I can see it but other than that I lock it on the bike with a cable lock

Old 12-09-2013 | 04:49 AM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by diverg
          How did you manage to get just a little road rash. Every time I've gone done without a jacket on I've gotten tore up with road rash. I ground away a ton of flesh on my leg once even though I had jeans on. I dug all the way down to the nerves and that side of my leg is still sort of dead and numb feeling.

These day I wear a riding jacket, gloves and a full-face everywhere I go winter summer and fall.

Old 12-09-2013 | 05:54 AM
          Timmy B
          Outstanding HDF Member
          From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

it is your head dude, f*** all those that tell you differnent.

Old 12-09-2013 | 06:02 AM
          grbrown
          Club Member
          Wink

Originally Posted by Hopscotch
          Harley sell a helmet lock as an accessory, 45732-86. Neat, chrome and easy to use! If your helmet has D-loops a padlock will probably do just as well, round part of the frame, handlebar or sissy bar.

Old 12-09-2013 | 06:35 AM
          triumph900
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          The person that told you that was a dumb a$$. I was in an accident 10 years ago, and my gear saved me from far more serious injuries. I wear FF helmet, real gloves, jacket with armor. Why would you be concerned about what someone else says is "cool"? I can't figure out the whole "do I look cool to other people" mind set. Wear what you feel comfortable (and safe) wearing and stop worrying about what other people say.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?