Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013 | 01:41 PM
          Jester 08 Nightster
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rollcrusher
          The real Harley thing, whatever. Some guys wave some dont. If I had to compare the sport bike riders wave more than the Harley guys around here.
          Personally I wave to everyone with two wheels and a engine. Unless its a dude on a Vespa.

Old 07-12-2013 | 04:28 PM
          JaySwear
          Road Captain

^ Same! Although I did wave to a guy on a scooter a few days ago hard to tell with a headlight and a full face helmet on haha whoops.

I got to try on the Bell Rogue a few days ago and it was gigantic. I was sure I wanted one before, but it was almost twice the size of my Custom 500. So I bought a new 500 instead! I'd love a full face helmet, but it would have to have great visibility.

Old 07-13-2013 | 03:08 AM
          rdunnill
          Tourer

Originally Posted by oh_yeah
          Why should the rest of us pay higher insurance rates for the high-risk thoughtless riders ? And higher taxes for those that require public health assistance after they crack their heads and have no insurance or the means for payment ?
          A Canadian professor of actuarial science stated that costs due to motorcycle injuries rose in Canada after universal helmet laws were passed in the 1960s. Why? Burials are cheaper than lifelong care for paraplegia and the like.

On-topic, I wear a modular full-face: not only does it protect better, but it shields damaging noise much better than the three-quarter-face I was naïve enough to buy with my first bike. It also doubles as a windshield substitute, since I have yet to get one of those.

Last edited by rdunnill; 07-13-2013 at 03:10 AM.
          Old 07-13-2013 | 04:12 AM
          Pixiechitos
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jester 08 Nightster
          Personally I wave to everyone with two wheels and a engine. Unless its a dude on a Vespa.
          Hey! Don't hate on the Vespa's. those sings are classics.

Old 07-13-2013 | 09:32 AM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by JaySwear
          ^ Same! Although I did wave to a guy on a scooter a few days ago hard to tell with a headlight and a full face helmet on haha whoops.

I got to try on the Bell Rogue a few days ago and it was gigantic. I was sure I wanted one before, but it was almost twice the size of my Custom 500. So I bought a new 500 instead! I'd love a full face helmet, but it would have to have great visibility.
          Try a Nolan N-43 if you want more protection and great visibility. It's a 3/4 style helmet but with a larger windshield. You can get one with a snap in chin bar that fits under the windshield and offers even more protection. To me this is one of the best thought out helmets ever. I absolutely love mine.

Old 07-13-2013 | 09:55 AM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rdunnill
          A Canadian professor of actuarial science stated that costs due to motorcycle injuries rose in Canada after universal helmet laws were passed in the 1960s. Why? Burials are cheaper than lifelong care for paraplegia and the like.
          There is a much more important consideration then cost to society. That is 'living' with a head injury. Unfortunately, a motorcycle accident in which a head hits the ground or something else solid, does not mean sure death. It is not even sure death for the riders that receive a head injury. Sometimes their 'lives' go on and on and on...

There are a LOT of factors to consider, the aforementioned Canadian professor could not possibly have included them all in his research.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 07-13-2013 at 10:07 AM.
          Old 07-13-2013 | 10:22 AM
          JaySwear
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bkellyusa
          Try a Nolan N-43 if you want more protection and great visibility. It's a 3/4 style helmet but with a larger windshield. You can get one with a snap in chin bar that fits under the windshield and offers even more protection. To me this is one of the best thought out helmets ever. I absolutely love mine.
          Funny you say that, that's the one helmet thats been stuck in my mind. Love the looks and the features!

Old 07-13-2013 | 04:03 PM
          rdunnill
          Tourer

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          There is a much more important consideration then cost to society. That is 'living' with a head injury. Unfortunately, a motorcycle accident in which a head hits the ground or something else solid, does not mean sure death. It is not even sure death for the riders that receive a head injury. Sometimes their 'lives' go on and on and on...

There are a LOT of factors to consider, the aforementioned Canadian professor could not possibly have included them all in his research.
          Her point was that many would-be fatalities survive, but in a debilitated state that requires expensive lifetime care. She wasn't lobbying for an end to universal helmet laws, just making a simple statement of fact.

Old 07-13-2013 | 04:08 PM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by JaySwear
          Funny you say that, that's the one helmet thats been stuck in my mind. Love the looks and the features!
          Yeah, I am definitely big on the Nolan N-43. Best helmet I have ever owned by far especially for the price. I wore a half helmet or 3/4 for about twenty years but no more. I can also play music in the headset installed in my helmet and wind noise is dramatically reduced.

Old 07-13-2013 | 06:37 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Her point was that many would-be fatalities survive, but in a debilitated state that requires expensive lifetime care. She wasn't lobbying for an end to universal helmet laws, just making a simple statement of fact.
          Which is totally skewed by the advancements in helmet technology, advancements and higher costs in medical care and doesn't take into account severity of the injury and how well the person recovers.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?