Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013 | 01:37 PM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

XL-Power,

You sound pretty committed to wearing safety gear so I am sure it wouldn't make any difference but are there mandatory helmet laws in Norway?

It's sort of surprising to see someone from Europe so committed to riding Harley's. When I was there on a long motorcycle trip I rented a Harley in Germany that was so de-tuned I thought it was only running on one cylinder. The sound was also absolutely anemic compared to the fire breathing monsters we ride in the U.S. I was so alarmed that I told the dealer that his bike needed fixing before I could rent it. He just laughed and told me that they were all like that in Europe. No matter where I went in Europe I heard the same story for the next three three weeks. Despite that I had a great time and would love to go back. Sorry to say I didn't make it to Norway. I fell in love with Switzerland though.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2013 | 01:46 PM
          BFJR
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bkellyusa
          I am usually not too critical of what others do but I don't think some people realize that it's not 1960 anymore and they are not Captain America or Billy and they are not 18 years old either. I wish some of the old geezers I see wearing bandanas, biker jackets, sunglasses and brain buckets would do us all a favor and start wearing a full-face helmet. If you've lived to be sixty something you should show you have some amount of sense.
          You think we got to 60+ by using Sense !!

Old 07-02-2013 | 02:32 PM
          jcallesano
          Road Warrior

I always wear my German made full face on the highway.
          All set with getting blasted in the face from all the BS that falls off ppls cars and trucks.
          Esp. 18 wheelers and dump trucks.

Plus I throw bluetooth headphones in and ride. cant do that with a brain bucket.
          Ride SAFE and LOUD

Old 07-02-2013 | 03:16 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ron750
          if people start legislating that is a slippery slope.

I do think new riders should have to wear a helmet.
          Yes, a slippery slope indeed. But I am more concerned that a lot of new, or shouldn't be riding, riders will injure themselves and society will blame motorcycles and not the riders. And mandate changes for safety that will affect all of us. That is what happened with ATCs years ago.

Too many people got hurt and the simple solution was to stop importing the ATCs. One year the ATCs outsold two wheel dirt bikes, and the next year ATCs were not sold. So the experienced, competent, safe ATC riders suffered needlessly.

Even if it is only new, or incompetent, riders that 'should' wear a helmet, how will they be identified? At least before they crash?

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 07-02-2013 at 10:56 PM.
          Old 07-03-2013 | 04:12 AM
          akhdrider
          Cruiser
          Talking

All my life I wanted a Harley.
          At first, I was too busy paying bills and such and did not have the money to get one..
          Then, along came kids and omg, totally broke all the time giving them all they wanted and needed....
          Finally, got one last year.
          Noting most everyone I see on a Harley wears a black leather jacket!
          lol
          I mean young business men and old retired gentlemen go into Harley shop and buy all new black Harley gear and go out to ride... all look the same..

But me, I too have black leather riding gear.. but what do I pick up when I go to ride.. well, it varies.. some days just a tee shirt, and I have many of them.. some days a long sleeve shirt.. and black jeans.. some days a black or brown leather jacket, tee shirt and either blue or brown jeans...

I never wear a helmet as I just do not feel right about riding with one on.. I feel like a bubble head... feel constrained..

I like the feel of the air on my head... it cools me off...
          BUT... that is ME...

I say ride how ever you want!

Most deaths on motorcycles come from
          1. The person behind the rider running into the rider who has stopped at a traffic signal or a stop sign.
          2. A driver of a car or truck turns directly across a bike riders path and the biker runs directly into the vehicle.

Many studies have shown helmets save lives.
          But
          If You or I want to take the chance and we are grown.. so be it!
          PERSONAL CHOICE rules!

Live life as YOU want to live it.. do not let anyone put you down for how you want to look!
          Be happy how YOU want to be!

Just my thoughts!

Old 07-03-2013 | 08:37 AM
          im
          Seasoned HDF Member

Riding is not a fashion statement.
          I have a modular full face.

Old 07-03-2013 | 01:34 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

For those .01% who "can't" wear a helmet due to a medical condition...what kind of car do you drive? What happens when you hit a dip at 70mph and on the way up your head loads more weight on your neck than wearing a 1/2 helmet?

Originally Posted by akhdrider
          Noting most everyone I see on a Harley wears a black leather jacket!
          lol
          I mean young business men and old retired gentlemen go into Harley shop and buy all new black Harley gear and go out to ride... all look the same..

I never wear a helmet as I just do not feel right about riding with one on.. I feel like a bubble head... feel constrained..

I like the feel of the air on my head... it cools me off...
          BUT... that is ME...

I say ride how ever you want!

Most deaths on motorcycles come from
          1. The person behind the rider running into the rider who has stopped at a traffic signal or a stop sign.
          2. A driver of a car or truck turns directly across a bike riders path and the biker runs directly into the vehicle.

Many studies have shown helmets save lives.
          Be happy how YOU want to be!

Just my thoughts!
          Your children would be happy if you wore a helmet. Your "constraint" is in your head, that's all. You probably dehydrate faster and increase the aging effect of the sun and increase your risk for skin cancer without a helmet.

You know why black leather is so popular? Because it is the best at abrasion resistance and doesn't show the dirt.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 07-03-2013 at 01:36 PM.
          Old 07-03-2013 | 09:03 PM
          Skeeter$75
          Advanced

I don't wear a full face. I prefer the same helmet style I wore as a kid, they call it "retro" now. Do I look like the Great Gazoo? Yup! But I enjoy myself...I you find that you don't enjoy myself, seek therapy.

I also make it a habit to not try and convince strangers of anything because it's not a good first impression. Wear what turns you on...

Last edited by Skeeter$75; 07-03-2013 at 09:05 PM.
          Old 07-03-2013 | 09:49 PM
          Dirty Bob
          Cruiser

Been riding since before helmet requirement, drivers test, bike license. One comment says it all: Wear what your brain is worth. I wear a full face helmet.

Old 07-03-2013 | 11:20 PM
          oh_yeah
          Advanced

For those who enjoy riding without helmets (in states that permit it) I always wonder about who is going to support them IF they are brain-dead in a nursing home: family or taxpayers ?

Probably not family, since the guy without the helmet likely didn't spend much more thought about his family's future than he did about his own -

Helmet-less riders, you should know that there are THOUSANDS of people on the highway who will injure or kill you with no problem on any given day. This WON'T be intentional but does that make anyone feel better about it ?

This is something that has troubled me since I started riding in '65 ! Why should the rest of us pay higher insurance rates for the high-risk thoughtless riders ? And higher taxes for those that require public health assistance after they crack their heads and have no insurance or the means for payment ?

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?