Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013 | 12:11 PM
          chgofirefighter
          Road Master

"real harley owners dont wear full face helmets" I would tell whoever told you that to to "GO F OFF" Period... Keep in mind that a helmet doesn't guarantee you anything but to protect your skull, its a false sense of security that is being offered but its better to have something rather than nothing. But it does makes a difference, it reduces your chances of major injuries but again, nothing is full proof.. I'm about to get 3/4 helmet myself to ride my Iron and I can give a rats *** what anybody thinks, feels or wants to comment. Live "YOUR" life and screw the rest.. You only live once... Live by that model and you'll be happy.. Now go ride!

Old 06-29-2013 | 12:14 PM
          fat_tony
          Ultimate HDF Member

"real harley owners dont wear full face helmets" - apparently who ever made that statement has not ever experienced a good quality FF helmet, crashed, or ridden very many miles.

Old 06-29-2013 | 07:03 PM
          pecka13
          Intermediate

Well I'm really happy that other Harley owners are saying they wear FF helmets
          Honestly I haven't noticed a difference in the way others look at me. Everyone still waves, so its all good.

Old 06-30-2013 | 02:02 AM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by pecka13
          Well I'm really happy that other Harley owners are saying they wear FF helmets
          Honestly I haven't noticed a difference in the way others look at me. Everyone still waves, so its all good.
          I am usually not too critical of what others do but I don't think some people realize that it's not 1960 anymore and they are not Captain America or Billy and they are not 18 years old either. I wish some of the old geezers I see wearing bandanas, biker jackets, sunglasses and brain buckets would do us all a favor and start wearing a full-face helmet. If you've lived to be sixty something you should show you have some amount of sense.

Old 06-30-2013 | 02:46 AM
          rdunnill
          Tourer

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          I have two Harleys and ride with a full-face helmet. I do have a three-quarters helmet, but it lets more wind noise through and bugs slap my chin.

On a long road ride, without a windshield, bugs in the face would be torment. Film fantasies like "Easy Rider," where riders are wearing nothing but shades for face protection, are just that, fantasies.

Old 06-30-2013 | 04:11 AM
          tlempke
          Intermediate

I wear a full face and a hi viz tour master jacket. I'd rather be seen and be safe than care what others think.

Old 07-01-2013 | 07:25 PM
          Bucky Katt
          Novice

my best friend lost a bunch of his jaw and skin in a low speed fall. a ff helmet would have kept him from everything but bruised knees. i personally have never ridden without one.

Old 07-01-2013 | 09:07 PM
          Cwpolston
          Intermediate

I ride with full face, i guess mostly because my background was dirt riding and a full helmet is what i grew up on. That and i dont give a crap if the other riders dont think i fit in. Quit worrying what other people think, seriously

Old 07-02-2013 | 01:10 PM
          XL-Power
          Novice

Always wear ff, jacket with CE(Dot) approved xl back, elbow and shoulder pads. Leather pants and good riding boots, no way I'm going to gamble with that little safety there are for a motorcyclist.
          I can't even imagine riding without safety gear as it sounds plain stupid not to.
          Just my 2 cent

Even considering to invest in a airbag vest.....

Old 07-02-2013 | 01:34 PM
          Ron750
          Seasoned HDF Member

I almost always wear a helmet. But I don't judge experienced riders who go helmetless. They are taking more risks than me, but if people start legislating that is a slippery slope. I would be safer in a car.

I do think new riders should have to wear a helmet.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?