Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013 | 08:24 AM
          Pixiechitos
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by billy_5555
          Just bought my first Harley, iron 883 and only ride using a full-face helmet. My buddy makes fun of me because it doesn't fit in with his idea of how you should "look" riding a Harley. Guess what...don't care. At the end of the day I have a young son that needs me to walk through the door every day.
          I wear an HJC RPHA Max modular helmet, matte black to match the bike. It's a great helmet and looks good, imo.

I like the way you think. Dress for the crash.

Old 06-27-2013 | 08:34 AM
          modular
          Stellar HDF Member
          Veteran: Navy

A full face helmet once saved my life or from a life as a vegetable. I am a firm believer in AGATT but to each his own.

Old 06-27-2013 | 09:48 AM
          subguy
          Road Master

Originally Posted by billy_5555
          Just bought my first Harley, iron 883 and only ride using a full-face helmet. My buddy makes fun of me because it doesn't fit in with his idea of how you should "look" riding a Harley. Guess what...don't care. At the end of the day I have a young son that needs me to walk through the door every day.
          I wear an HJC RPHA Max modular helmet, matte black to match the bike. It's a great helmet and looks good, imo.

I wear a HJC SYMAX III full face modular. I really like (for the cost), but suxs for ventilation. Been toying with getting a HJC RPHA Max modular. How is the ventilation on it?

Old 06-27-2013 | 12:07 PM
          billy_5555
          Novice

Originally Posted by subguy
          I wear a HJC SYMAX III full face modular. I really like (for the cost), but suxs for ventilation. Been toying with getting a HJC RPHA Max modular. How is the ventilation on it?
          I've only been on city-rides, no highways yet. I can't really give an honest evaluation of the ventilation. It hasn't been great but it's been really hot here and I've been in stop-and-go traffic. The vents themselves look pretty good and should provide good ventilation at higher speeds. Also, with the visor cracked open just a bit and the vents open it works well.

Old 06-27-2013 | 12:32 PM
          TheePaulieP
          Intermediate

My own family gave me **** for wearing a FF helmet.

Had I not been wearing a FF helmet the one and only time I have gone down, I'd have scars covering the right side of my face, a broken nose/misc face bones, and may very well be missing an eye. After seeing what a FF saved me from I'll never wear anything else. And the dump was only at 30mph on a small city street.

Old 06-27-2013 | 02:42 PM
          Peter Black
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          I always ride with a full face, I gotta protect my money maker who ever said that to you should GGFED

Old 06-27-2013 | 02:51 PM
          Deucedog
          Stellar HDF Member

Ignore the rants of the ignorant. It's your head, so protect it in any fashion you choose to. What's your head worth??

I have a friend who had a 20 mph accident last month. If she had been wearing a 1/2 helmet (or none) she would have sustained serious head injury. This is proven by the damage to the side of her full face helmet. I can only imagine if the same accident had occurred at 50 mph.

(I did take the writing off of the jacket though)

Old 06-28-2013 | 03:09 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheePaulieP
          My own family gave me **** for wearing a FF helmet.

Had I not been wearing a FF helmet the one and only time I have gone down, I'd have scars covering the right side of my face, a broken nose/misc face bones, and may very well be missing an eye. After seeing what a FF saved me from I'll never wear anything else. And the dump was only at 30mph on a small city street.
          Unreal how stupid people can be. I had a gf who gave me hard time about "Mr. Safety" in the morning of a ride a friend went down in a beanie helmet. Mild concussion and injury on the bridge of his nose.

Old 06-28-2013 | 05:06 PM
          pecka13
          Intermediate

Just bought this helmet yesterday.
          AGV Miglia Modular II Helmet - Large/Flat Black : Amazon.com : Automotive AGV Miglia Modular II Helmet - Large/Flat Black : Amazon.com : Automotive

Very quiet and comfortable. I will wear this or my 3/4 helmet every time I ride.
          My own dad gave my crap because he also didn't think that Harley riders should wear a helmet and just sun glasses.

Old 06-29-2013 | 02:24 AM
          Pixiechitos
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pecka13
          Just bought this helmet yesterday.
          AGV Miglia Modular II Helmet - Large/Flat Black : Amazon.com : Automotive

Very quiet and comfortable. I will wear this or my 3/4 helmet every time I ride.
          My own dad gave my crap because he also didn't think that Harley riders should wear a helmet and just sun glasses.
          Schweeeet love it.

I'm too much of a wuss to wear a 3/4. I'd love a Biltwell Bonanza.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?