Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013 | 03:41 PM
          GeorgiaGlide
          Cruiser

Whoever said that is ignorant. I wear a full face if its cold or if it starts raining( carry in my tour pack) or if I just damn well feel like it.

Old 06-26-2013 | 04:02 PM
          wachuko
          Outstanding HDF Member

Nothing like the feeling of riding without a helmet. That sense of freedom is great.

Until you get hit by the first bug, rock, bird, drops of rain at 65mph.... FF user here as well... Even in the hot, hot sun...

Old 06-26-2013 | 06:16 PM
          anamals53
          Novice
          Default can you swallow a chicada at 60 ?????????

caught one at 60 in the sternum last summer , thought it was a .45 . then thought what if it was flying 1' higher . traded my skid lid for a 3/4 with a flip up shield .

Old 06-26-2013 | 06:18 PM
          traffic jam
          Road Warrior

I usually wear my full face. I was glad I was wearing it a few weeks ago when a black bird leapt up from the side of the highway and splatted directly onto my windsheild - if I had not had the windshield on, it would have been a direct hit to the face. It was almost a "Wild Hogs" moment. I had a huge bug splat on my full face where my eye is, plus various other bugs - I have to clean my windshield and helmet after every ride.

So, I was riding last Sat. in 90 degree weather on my '95 sporty with my vented full face, cool white mesh jacket and black mesh pants. I thought - all the other Harley riders will think I'm a dweeb, no one will waive - oh well, so be it. To my surprise, almost all waived - even on the other side of the highway.

I never wore any gear until I saw my two friends on a sporty go down at 10 mph. It was the first time I saw road rash. They were in halter tops (this was in the '80s) and it just took the skin off the side of them. Next day I bought my equipment - including a full face. Now I'm just used to it.

Old 06-26-2013 | 07:37 PM
          jbc1200
          Cruiser

I wear a gloss black HCJ CL16 riding my Sporty, which is to and from work every day and pretty much everywhere else plus fun weekend rides. I keep the visor open and wear sunglasses, up until about 70mph and then I close it down until just the last click so I still get some wind. At 80mph I find that it's much more comfortable than a half shell with no windshield.

I also have a cheap xelement armored mesh jacket from leatherup.com that I wear mainly to keep the bugs and grime off my clothes for work.

Old 06-26-2013 | 07:49 PM
          baka1969
          Extreme HDF Member
          Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Bkellyusa
          If you are worried about peripheral vision try a Nolan N43. It's sort of a hybrid full face/open face helmet with a sun visor and the ability to use a headset for music, GPS, phone calls etc.

For the record I don't have the slightest thing to do with Nolan but after more than 35 years of wearing a half helmet I switched to the N43 this year and I am thrilled with it.
          I have the Nolan N43E and agree. It's a great helmet that's quite versatile. Great peripheral vision.

Old 06-27-2013 | 12:34 AM
          siege
          Intermediate

I always wear more than a brain bucket, damn the haters. I've been wearing a Scorpion EXO FF, and I just bought a S&S shielded modular. It's nice to have a 3/4 helm in the summer (and drop down visors are great), and then when I want more air deflection when it cools off I can just snap in the chin bar.

Old 06-27-2013 | 02:33 AM
          wolfxandxcrow
          Intermediate

I'm actually buying a FF helmet off a co-worker tomorrow. Weird thing... It has a huge
          "Harley Davidson" shield on the top. Turns out Harley actually makes FF helmets. So I guess, as a real hd rider, I do wear a ff helmet. Having said that, I love my Bell custom 500. It's best for around town short jaunts, but I need a helmet to keep the bugs/rain off my face. Wear what you want, sir.

Old 06-27-2013 | 03:54 AM
          mayneman
          Cruiser

I've noticed that most people who give you crap for wearing a full-face also will give you crap for wearing sneakers or shorts while riding. I guess they value their legs and feet more than their SKULL & BRAIN!!

Old 06-27-2013 | 07:47 AM
          billy_5555
          Novice

Just bought my first Harley, iron 883 and only ride using a full-face helmet. My buddy makes fun of me because it doesn't fit in with his idea of how you should "look" riding a Harley. Guess what...don't care. At the end of the day I have a young son that needs me to walk through the door every day.
          I wear an HJC RPHA Max modular helmet, matte black to match the bike. It's a great helmet and looks good, imo.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?