Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013 | 12:36 PM
          jpg0511
          4th Gear

I have both half and full face. Depents which one I use by the temp, speed I will ride, and how many bugs are out. Here in LA (lower Alabama) you will have a fuce full of bugs in mins after riding a country road early morning or late afternoon

Old 05-24-2013 | 01:18 PM
          HedleyLamarr
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by Valkyriae
          I love my full face helmet. I used to ride scooters with an open face.

Let's just say, after slipping on some oil on a roundabout and going flying, landing on my face, chin, nose, and then having my bike land on me, I will never wear anything other than a full face again.
          haha...a friend of mine was exactly backwards from that...he wore a full face on his scooter because he didn't want anyone knowing he's riding a scooter

Old 05-24-2013 | 01:54 PM
          Ron750
          Seasoned HDF Member

On Wednesdays I have a 80 mile one way commute. It is my main chance to ride, during the week. There was a 30% chance of rain and overcast. I didn't pass one motorcycle on the way to work. On the way home it rained the whole way. I passed one other motorcycle, also an Ultra. You know we both had FF helmets on. With the right rain gear, I don't have to give up any ride time. It was a steady soaking rain, but not a blinding thunderstorm, which I do hate.

All the badasses who won't wear a FF were riding around in their cages. Usually I wouldn't care, but I think that's funny, because someone on here said you might as well be in a cage if you wear a FF.

Old 05-25-2013 | 01:26 AM
          drcrazytrain
          Road Master
          Default Total Rethink

Try 80 MPH Interstate Riding in Heavy Down Pouring Rain with 50 MPH Crosswinds. I bet that will change your Narrow Vision!

Old 05-25-2013 | 05:06 AM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ron750
          On the way home it rained the whole way. I passed one other motorcycle, also an Ultra. You know we both had FF helmets on. With the right rain gear, I don't have to give up any ride time. It was a steady soaking rain, but not a blinding thunderstorm, which I do hate.

All the badasses who won't wear a FF were riding around in their cages. Usually I wouldn't care, but I think that's funny, because someone on here said you might as well be in a cage if you wear a FF.
          Two days ago I was forced to ride in a heavy downpour on the interstate because I had to be somewhere one time. I had my Nolan open face with full windscreen on but my jacket was unzipped. I could feel the raindrops sandblasting the skin right off my neck. When I got home I saw how red and irritated my neck was but my face of course was untouched. I couldn't help but think of what my face would have looked like had I ridden home in my half helmet.

Old 05-25-2013 | 06:10 AM
          JoelS
          Advanced

Big bugs here in S GA.
          Got hit right in the adams apple with somethin that was real big, i don't know what it was and i was going about 65-70 and it choked me up, so, keep your head down, and wear the ff.
          I just got a HJC is-2, and i love it, but, i put in a 100 mile ride yesterday, and that wasn't the only thing that run into my face shield, and i was glad i had the ff.

Old 05-25-2013 | 08:19 AM
          Bluey.17
          6th Gear

Do what you wanna do, be what you wanna be yea---yeeaaa

Old 05-25-2013 | 08:47 AM
          johnjay
          Road Warrior

I have way too many helmets of all kinds. When it's nasty out I'll ware a full. Hot I go to half or 3/4. My only rule is they are black. No one really cares what helmet you are wearing except the Police.....

Old 06-26-2013 | 02:38 PM
          bglaze
          Advanced

Rofl! I switch between 3/4 and full-face (for rain and cold). I also sometimes wear a purple backpack, because my bike doesn't have bags yet (and it's the only backpack I have). AND, my boots are brown.

Granted, I just got my Harley, and before that I rode a Honda. But I don't plan on changing my gear one bit (though I do want some storage for practicality).

I don't care what they think. I am not trying to be a biker. I just LOVE to ride a bike! And dayum if this big twin isn't the most amazing thing I've ever experienced on two wheels.

And honestly, around here (in Indiana), I think wearing a helmet at all makes you an outcast -- nobody seems to wear them.

Old 06-26-2013 | 02:43 PM
          jdub099
          Road Captain

Tags at the bottom of this thread:

883, bagger, face, faced, full, harley, harleys, helmet, helmets, iron, mc, mightier, never, *****, ride, riding, tshirt, wear, wears, weird

??? ???

Real Harley guys are an opinionated bunch. There's obviously a narrow line between "real" Harley guys and "fake" or "unreal" Harley guys because depending on who you ask, maybe nobody is a real Harley guy. Since buying a Harley here is a short list of things which make you not a real Harley rider:

Being too stylish
          Not being stylish enough
          Wearing a helmet or type of helmet
          Not wearing a helmet or type of helmet
          Having skulls or flames
          Not having skulls or flames
          Riding a Sportster
          Riding a Bagger
          Having too much chrome
          Having too much black
          etc.
          etc.

Half of the stuff I hear about being a "real" Harley guy comes from people who look like they raided Bret Michaels' wardrobe.

Also, don't forget, there's "real" motorcyclists and sometimes "real" motorcyclists are at odds with things "real" Harley guys do or like. It's a confusing world!

I say do what you want, including dressing like Bret Michaels, if that's what you're into.

Last edited by jdub099; 06-26-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?