Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013 | 06:10 PM
          baka1969
          Extreme HDF Member
          Veteran: Navy

Those that claim that wearing a helmet is more dangerous than not wearing one are grossly misrepresenting the facts.

I like having a choice. sometimes I wear one, other times I don't. But trying to justify not wearing one by distorting the truth is only fooling yourself.

Old 05-05-2013 | 08:31 PM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

OK, what is "Jax SOA"?

Old 05-06-2013 | 12:02 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bkellyusa
          OK, what is "Jax SOA"?
          Jax is the name of the main character in the show Sons of Anarchy. A very popular show enjoyed by many (and disliked by many).

Old 05-06-2013 | 04:12 AM
          grbrown
          Club Member
          Thumbs up

Originally Posted by baka1969
          Those that claim that wearing a helmet is more dangerous than not wearing one are grossly misrepresenting the facts.

I like having a choice. sometimes I wear one, other times I don't. But trying to justify not wearing one by distorting the truth is only fooling yourself.
          When seat belts were made compulsory over here someone tried to claim they were not as safe as driving without one. He had rolled his car, the windshield popped out and he was flung out through the hole and walked away. He didn't see that as being absolutely incredible and unlikely to happen next time!

Old 05-06-2013 | 06:29 AM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Jax is the name of the main character in the show Sons of Anarchy. A very popular show enjoyed by many (and disliked by many).
          Thanks for the explanation on Jax SOA. I have tried to watch both of the "biker" shows but I just couldn't get into them too much. After a couple of episodes I quit watching. Maybe I'll try again. I'll generally watch anything with cool bikes in it.

Brian

Old 05-13-2013 | 10:03 AM
          Valkyriae
          Novice

I love my full face helmet. I used to ride scooters with an open face.

Let's just say, after slipping on some oil on a roundabout and going flying, landing on my face, chin, nose, and then having my bike land on me, I will never wear anything other than a full face again.

Old 05-13-2013 | 10:52 PM
          mtnbikeadam
          Novice

it likes to rain here in washington (sometimes), i wear a full face in the rain(unless the rain was unexpected) and a half shell the other times. i like the half shell since it lets me use all of my peripheral vision

Old 05-19-2013 | 08:35 PM
          Baldy 48
          Cruiser

I've got all three and they all suck. Even worse is having a XXL head. Freaking helmets look like baskets on my head and no, I can't go non-dot.

I'm using those ear pods to listen to the i-phone music now, so 3/4 or full is needed for the highway. Sunny days require 1/2, though.

Old 05-24-2013 | 02:53 AM
          98acrsilver
          Cruiser

i love passing these tough harley bikers with no helmets on the interstate doing 75 and watching bugs and other objects hit their face

Old 05-24-2013 | 10:19 AM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by Baldy 48

I'm using those ear pods to listen to the i-phone music now, so 3/4 or full is needed for the highway. Sunny days require 1/2, though.
          If you are worried about peripheral vision try a Nolan N43. It's sort of a hybrid full face/open face helmet with a sun visor and the ability to use a headset for music, GPS, phone calls etc.

For the record I don't have the slightest thing to do with Nolan but after more than 35 years of wearing a half helmet I switched to the N43 this year and I am thrilled with it.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?