Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013 | 11:27 PM
          Wolf3020
          Intermediate

http://youtube/RKJX3t3F5IQ

I suppose these guys all look stupid and arent hard since they're wearing full face helmets....?
          If you feel you need to wear an open face helmet to look hard then chances are your a bitch and a helmet isnt going to change that. I'm done

Old 05-01-2013 | 11:54 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXD-T
          Ask my wife, I don't wear seatbelts either. I drive almost 30,000 miles a year for my job. Still kickin'
          Don't you just hate that....
          Not at all, just means you have a much greater chance of getting a Darwin award, that's all. And if something tragic happens, when everyone learns you're unbelted, or no helmet, eyes will roll.

Old 05-02-2013 | 03:07 AM
          hotrodfeguy
          Intermediate

Wear whatever you want this is a free Nation, I did not fight in Iraq and then again in Afghanistan for GEICO to tell me to wear a helmet of there type and choice. I have already been blown up by 200# of HME for people who do not know what that is before you tell me to buckle up with a helmet it's HOME MADE EXPLOSIVES. I already have brain damage from it. so what ya going to save? it's already messed up? Oh my head messing up your accident? Give me a break, I could care less about GEICO's bottom line.

Last edited by hotrodfeguy; 05-02-2013 at 03:11 AM.
          Old 05-04-2013 | 09:36 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hotrodfeguy
          I already have brain damage... so what ya going to save? it's already messed up? Oh my head messing up your accident? Give me a break, I could care less about GEICO's bottom line.

Since you brought it up: Your brain damage couldn't be too bad. You post here on a forum, and apparently ride a motorcycle. I could tell you a story about brain damage that would bring tears to some people's eyes, but I won't. Don't you feel 'brain damage' is something anyone would want to avoid? And that even if a helmet wouldn't always prevent brain damage, if there is a possibility it might prevent brain damage it is worth wearing?

Especially since the 'agony' of wearing a helmet only has any meaning while a person is actually wearing a helmet, and a real head injury(brain damage) is the main focus of the lives of people that have head injuries. For every waking moment for the rest of their lives. And, depending on the severity, a main focus of the lives of their families or caregivers.

Since you mention your service record let me tell you about Stan. I met Stan while I was in the hospital. Stan had been an Army Ranger, amateur boxer, engaged to a real cute girl, and was a rookie LEO here in Vegas. Then he fell while rock climbing and received a head injury.

He spent the next eight years laying in bed, or sitting in a wheelchair held up by a sheet tied around his chest. With spittle hanging from his chin until someone would wipe it off for him. His mother, or younger brother, would have to feed him like an infant. And wipe is butt, also like an infant.

The worst part, IMO, is that Stan's brain didn't seem to be affected. After we were both released from the hospital, he and I would play chess, or I would look at a scrapbook his mom had put together. He couldn't stand up, or talk, but he seemed proud of his time in the Army and on the police force.

Things for Stan got better though. He found a bullet and used his police revolver to end his life. At least that's what I was told. My life turned out pretty good, by most standards, because I was young enough my parents were still in the picture. I didn't have a wife and kids depending on me for anything. And I was able to return to college, change my major, and support myself.

Think about how many people that receive head injuries and aren't as lucky as you, I, or even Stan? GEICO's bottom line is another issue.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-12-2013 at 09:50 PM.
          Old 05-04-2013 | 10:11 PM
          ultra purple
          Advanced

We have 3 bikes. First my ultra classic. I wear 1/2 helmet. Second super glide. My wife wears a full face. Third a 1200. My son wears a full face. And our 9 year old wears a full face behind me on the ultra. That makes me the odd man out with my 1/2. And let me tell you, when I'm on one of there bikes I wish I had a full face helmet on. I made my son use a full face helmet when we got him the 1200. I let him ride once with my 1/2 helmet and he thanks me for making him purchase a full face. They have a great deal of benefits.

Old 05-05-2013 | 01:24 AM
          Jolia
          Intermediate

Dudes, stop beeing pussies. What would Jacks say?

Old 05-05-2013 | 08:39 AM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Who is "Jacks"?

Brian

Old 05-05-2013 | 08:53 AM
          Livia329
          Cruiser

I'd miss my teeth and chin if they met the pavement at speed. Full face for me.

Old 05-05-2013 | 02:30 PM
          Robert Strohl
          Cruiser

I guess I'm not a really Harley rider then. I love the way my face looks and I wear a modular helmet and don't think I'll change. I was in military aviation for 20 yrs and know all about safety when it comes to the head/body etc. People are going to say what they want to get a rise out of you or whatever. F*ck 'em! Stick w/ what you know. I guarantee you that you know more about you than they do. Once you see your first motorcycle accident. You'll thank god you wear the helmet you do!

Old 05-05-2013 | 05:00 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jolia
          Dudes, stop beeing pussies. What would Jacks say?
          You mean Jax in SOA?

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?