Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010 | 08:45 AM
          Bobber Jake
          Tourer

I have to say I feel your pain. All the people I ride with don't wear helmets and I wear a half helmet. I have to seeing I have not taken the class yet. They make fun of me from time to time but F em, I am doing what is best for me. However you want to hear the best part of it, I ride with my brother alot and he is normally the one to make the most fun of me. I just bought my 98 xl1200 custom three weeks ago and he made fun of me for getting a sporty (I am 6'1" 230) says you should of got a full size bike, too bad he wasn't giving me the extra $, anyways his bike is a 65 ironhead sporty. It has been raked and stretched and hard tailed but correct me if I wrong but a sporty is a sporty right. So I always just chuckle when he says something and we get on our sportys.

So do what you want and makes you feel comfortable. Enjoy your rides cuz thats what its all about.

Old 07-29-2010 | 08:48 AM
          inaroush
          Road Captain

You wear what is comfortable for you and you feel secure in.

I have a modular helmet from Shark which converts from FF to 3/4 and I love it.

I also have a regular no face helmet which I wear from time to time on short runs.

Dont listen to anyone other than yourself!

Old 07-29-2010 | 09:51 AM
          rentalguy1
          Banned

I can't wait for some dumbass to hit me up with something like this. I'll let em know exactly what I think of their opinion and the culture. It's my damn noggin, and my damn bike! I've only had this thing a month, and only been on this site for about as long, but honestly, the "culture" just about has me ready to go back to a Triumph. I wonder if these fellas understand how idiotic this crap makes them sound...

Old 07-29-2010 | 10:13 AM
          jcallesano
          Road Warrior

I wear full face on the high way. half shell in city. No helmet in no helmet states

this is my full face

Attached Thumbnails Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?-xxrflatblackbig.jpg  
          Old 07-29-2010 | 10:18 AM
          KSGG
          Cruiser

Did he also mention you need the overpriced HD jacket, jeans, boots and T-shirt to ride that Harley?
          Clown...

Old 07-29-2010 | 10:23 AM
          JustinDap
          Cruiser

while I was new on my bike I wore a full face and I will rock the FF on colder days. Don't worry about what other people think. You do what you gotta do for you... not some random douche bag...

Old 07-29-2010 | 10:54 AM
          veritas.archangel
          Road Warrior

What's interesting is that no one has yet popped up with the ubiquitous "FF helmets are dangerous" line yet. I have seen this same basic thread in the Softail section, and the majority, it seems, over there follow the standard "biker" rule that helmets are dangerous and do nothing to protect you. As a matter of fact, one person said that they just give you a "false sense of security." But here, on the Sporty forum, the majority of people responding do wear, not only helmets but FF helmets at that. Wonder why.

Old 07-29-2010 | 11:02 AM
          Beaulaplante
          Intermediate

'cauz Sportster riders know that a Softail isn't a real Harley!!! :-)

Sorry but I just had to...

Seriously: to the OP: Wear what you want, when you want. At the end of the day, all that should matter is what makes you feel safe and enjoy your ride.

Old 07-29-2010 | 11:18 AM
          nightwagn
          Novice

a real harley owner is someone who rides A HARLEY

Old 07-29-2010 | 11:20 AM
          hincheec
          Cruiser

Like others said, wear what you want. I wore a full face every time I rode for the first three years I rode. I wear a 1/2 helmet in the summer now and a full face in the winter.

As someone who is learning to ride you should be wearing a full face. The first 5000 miles is when you are most likely to have a crash.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?