Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013 | 11:13 PM
          teamstersteward
          Elite HDF Member

do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else

sound like you ride naked with gloves and helmet
          douchey is not a strong enough word

Old 04-21-2013 | 06:01 AM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BMCsteve
          I just think if your argument is that smacking your head on the concrete without a helmet is just as safe as with a helmet, you may have already hit your head a few too many times
          No its just a simple reality check. Saying you really have no control over what's going to do you in. I could of as easily been killed that day as I survived. People worried about dying while riding shouldn't ride a motorcycle at all imo. Something much more important than wearing a helmet while riding is visibility but how many riders do you see wearing hi-vis colors when putting down the road with FF helmets, shorts and tennis shoes?

Why aren't all helmets white or florescent green which are highly visible at a great distance? Ultimately its all about what riders choose as acceptable risk. Like I said I wear but I could care less if the person riding next to me does. It's their decision. Ride safe!

Old 04-21-2013 | 11:40 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          This tells you the same thing in that fatal motorcycle crashes helmets are really no advantage. With that being said I own a FF, 3/4 Bell Custom 500 and a Scorpion EXO-100 half which I never wear because wind noise is horrible. 3/4 year round except very cold months.
          It tells me you either made an incorrect interpretation or you stated the obvious that in a FATAL accident, a helmet has no advantage. Duh, of course not.

BTW, try a Shoei RF-1100, a fairing/windshield and ear plugs.

I am anti BS when the helmet agenda trys to say that helmets are a major survival factor in fatal crashes because they are not. Those stats you call BS are fact although a couple years old they reflect accurate data.

Want a reality check? 5 snowboarders in Colorado perished today in an Avalanche. I'm sure they had all the required safety gear on when they lost there lives. If you think you have a better change of surviving a crash wearing a FF then I do wearing a 3/4 your sadly mistaken. In fact your survival rate vs a helmetless rider is roughly a measley 30 percent. Ride Safe.
          Another incorrect interpretation that doesn't reflect the number of helmeted riders and the number that survived ANY type of accident where the head or helmet touched the pavement.

Also the advantage of a FF is obvious based on the percentage of impacts in the facial area. Let's ASSUME it makes no difference in whether or not the wreck is fatal (which is incorrect) but how about the difference in injury prevention/reduction?

By the way, all the snowboarders had avalanche survival gear and it saved one of them.

People worried about dying while riding shouldn't ride a motorcycle at all imo.
          Oh really? Do you wear a seatbelt? Dos that mean you are worried about dying while driving?

Old 04-23-2013 | 10:41 AM
          BMCsteve
          Road Master

Here are some actual facts, not incorrect interpretations

http://www.gao.gov/assets/160/150870.pdf

Old 04-23-2013 | 05:17 PM
          Thumper26
          Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry, that's a self-serving, self-perpetuating organization. Don't believe everything they put out. :-)

Old 04-24-2013 | 01:02 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

It's also from 1991, helmets have improved considerably since then.

Old 04-24-2013 | 10:29 AM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

I haven't seen that report in years. If I remember right it is compiled from earlier studies and is more of a compilation of other studies rather than a new one so the data it is based on is even older than 1991.

Plus, when I saw it I thought the data was "soft" in support of helmets as compared to what my real world experience told me would be more accurate.

I don't want to make a big deal of this but in reality if a person thinks it is better for their head to hit a car or a tree full force rather than in a helmet there is nothing I can say.

Reversely if you think you are fully protected just because you have a full-face helmet on you are kidding yourself just as much as the other guy. If you hit your head hard enough even in a helmet you are in trouble. I can attest to that personally.

My wife has a family member who's face hit the center post between the front and rear door of a ladies car after she turned in front of him. The accident happened in Ohio which doesn't have a helmet law or at least it didn't have one then. After $300,000.00 worth of facial reconstruction surgery I asked him if he was going to start wearing a helmet. He looked at me like I had lost my mind and said "Why should I wear a helmet, the accident wasn't my fault?" I just looked at him in total disbelief but unfortunately I really don't think he realized how stupid that comment sounded. I left thinking that in his case maybe it was already to late for any sort of head protection.

Old 04-24-2013 | 11:55 AM
          jojoenglish85
          Road Captain

Im very impressed with the bell custom 500 helmets, just got me one because the price was right and it looks amazing. I believe i will be ordering me another one by the 1st or 15th next month lol. Ill post up some pics later.

Old 04-24-2013 | 02:28 PM
          88XLH_DLX
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by twisty571
          you can't ride a harley unless you look like a pirate,everyone knows that sheesh......

Jus kiddin' i wear 1 on those chilly days,fak em',at least your riding & congrat's on the new scoot!
          aaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2013 | 02:32 PM
          heritageblue2013
          Grand HDF Member

Real helmet owner's do not ride Harley's and or Davidson's.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?