Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013 | 09:22 AM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate
          Default Ron, I hear you loud and clear!

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          I agree with most of Thumper's post. But not the parts that mention 'suicide' or 'death by accident'. Death is the easy way out of an accident. At least if the other option is a head injury. I will probably shame myself here, but that really doesn't bother me. Before getting too upset, read the next paragraph carefully and think about what it means.

I am a better then some other riders, and far better then most. That doesn't mean all other riders, so anybody can put themselves in that select group. This is based on my years riding, and racing, off road. And 40+ years, but only a few hundred thousand miles due to riding in big city traffic, of riding in an area that allows for riding 24/7/365. I only mention this to prevent the posts about my lack of skill or any charge that I'm scared. I bet that happens anyway.

My last desert race ended badly. When I woke up 6 weeks later, I had no memories of my last race, or the prior 4 years. After learning how to roll over, sit up, talk, walk, etc. I spent a few years recovering. While these skills were easier to learn(relearn) at age 21 then when I was a child, I will never be proficient enough at them that people will not immediately recognize I have a problem.

Eventually I returned to college, changed my major from Political Science(pre law) to computer science, and worked for a couple of decades as a programmer/analyst. It wasn't Silicon Valley money, but I earned enough to allow me to not work and instead help my parents after they became old and infirm. My life wasn't bad, by most standards it was pretty good, but if I had a chance to do it over I wouldn't bother.

I mention this because my injuries occured off road while wearing a DOT FF helmet. It would be easy to receive the same injuries during a minor fender bender, or slip in some water while turning a corner, and riding without a helmet. So if wearing a helmet for a few minutes, or hours, at a time is really that bad then don't wear it. Just don't depend on an accident, and possible head injury, ending your life. It might begin a new life.

I was lucky enough to already be in college and planning on a career that didn't involve too much 'work'. My job then, working for Pizza Hut, was and is beyond my ability. Just as a lot, most(?) jobs, would be. Or perhaps the lucky part was that my injury didn't impair me intellectually. Head injuries can be much worse. FLAME ON!

Ron
          I take it that you are out riding again. is that correct? Form what you said aboutt he extent of some of your injuries I am surprised.

Old 04-17-2013 | 01:13 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bkellyusa
          I take it that you are out riding again. is that correct? Form what you said aboutt he extent of some of your injuries I am surprised.
          Riding again? Sort of. I couldn't ride for 3 years after my accident. But motorcycles, on and off road, had been my 'thing' for 7 years. The main reason I began riding again was because gas got so expensive, fifty cents a gallon. It wasn't easy and it meant starting out on smaller metrics and working my way up again. It was made more difficult by my size, or actually my lack of size.

Motorcycles were, as they were during the late '60s and early '70s, my main/sometimes only mode of transportation during the '80s and '90s. IN 2001 my mom developed lung cancer so I retired to spend most of my time taking her to doctors, hospitals, etc.. After a couple of ambulance rides to the hospital E.R. and hospital stays/surgeries she asked me not to leave her alone.

So I put my life on hold for the last decade. I truthfully wish I hadn't bought my '07, but at the time my mom was improving. She passed on 8/6/12 and I am still trying to get back into life. Thanks for the interest.

Ron

Old 04-17-2013 | 01:42 PM
          jojoenglish85
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          Riding again? Sort of. I couldn't ride for 3 years after my accident. But motorcycles, on and off road, had been my 'thing' for 7 years. The main reason I began riding again was because gas got so expensive, fifty cents a gallon. It wasn't easy and it meant starting out on smaller metrics and working my way up again. It was made more difficult by my size, or actually my lack of size.

Motorcycles were, as they were during the late '60s and early '70s, my main/sometimes only mode of transportation during the '80s and '90s. IN 2001 my mom developed lung cancer so I retired to spend most of my time taking her to doctors, hospitals, etc.. After a couple of ambulance rides to the hospital E.R. and hospital stays/surgeries she asked me not to leave her alone.

So I put my life on hold for the last decade. I truthfully wish I hadn't bought my '07, but at the time my mom was improving. She passed on 8/6/12 and I am still trying to get back into life. Thanks for the interest.

Ron
          Sorry to hear that, wishing you the best recovery possible.

Old 04-17-2013 | 02:07 PM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Ron,

I hate to reply but how could you be unable to work at Pizza Hut but till ride a motorcycle?

Your story is very touching and very inspiring as well. I am moved that you took the time to take care of your own parents. I am hoping that you are now starting a yet another new life and and hopefully and even better one.

Brian

Old 04-17-2013 | 06:39 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bkellyusa
          Ron,

I hate to reply but how could you be unable to work at Pizza Hut but till ride a motorcycle?

Your story is very touching and very inspiring as well. I am moved that you took the time to take care of your own parents. I am hoping that you are now starting a yet another new life and and hopefully and even better one.

Brian
          My reason for not being able to work at Pizza Hut is mainly due to my speech problems. If I could impress the manager when I applied, which I can't, I sometimes get tired and don't speak clearly. And it is difficult for me to write and have it be legible. so doing the books would be a slowww process.

After a few years of recovery, one of my doctors suggested I seek the assistance of the State Of Nevada Bureau Of Vocational Rehabilitation. BVR had me work in their workshop for 12 weeks. It was determined that most jobs, because of my speech and other problems, were beyond my ability.

So they helped me return to college and change my major from political science to computer science. Unfortunately, the last decade without working or even attempting to keep current has rendered my computer skills out of date. At least here in Vegas.

I am too old, a head injury can affect your entire body, and too tired to start over. Luckily I am financially secure and don't have to work anyway.

Ron

Old 04-17-2013 | 06:59 PM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Ron,

Well, I am impressed with your tenacity. "Best Wishes" to you in whatever you do in the future. I look forward to reading your future comments and responses.

Brian

Old 04-17-2013 | 07:07 PM
          el campito
          Cruiser
          Default full face helmet

past mach 9 went downin may iron

2 broken ribs 4 fracture and a broken helmet and tore jacket

the fun part is that i dont always wear my jacket and full face helmet

so tks to this two i am recovering and i month from now i am in the bike again

Old 04-17-2013 | 08:56 PM
          Mikem8
          Intermediate

My one stipulation for getting another bike since my last accident was to always wear a ff helmet. Arghhh

Old 04-19-2013 | 08:32 AM
          Zig Zag 2010
          Outstanding HDF Member

I have found when someone is telling you what "real Harley owners" do they are really admitting their own insecurities and/or stupidity. You wouldn't believe the crap I've heard over the years...
          Just picked up my first FF this year for cold weather riding. I can't believe how much I like it... so warm and comfortable....light years ahead of how they used to be.

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 04-19-2013 at 08:42 AM.
          Old 04-19-2013 | 11:34 AM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
          I have found when someone is telling you what "real Harley owners" do they are really admitting their own insecurities and/or stupidity. You wouldn't believe the crap I've heard over the years...
          Just picked up my first FF this year for cold weather riding. I can't believe how much I like it... so warm and comfortable....light years ahead of how they used to be.
          My current Nolan N43 helmet is not technically speaking a full-face helmet but like I said before with the windshield down it looks like it is and there is a version of that helmet that comes with a removable chin bar like a full-face helmet but with the exception that the chin bar is inside the otherwise full-face windshield

I agree wholeheartedly that the modern, full-face style helmets are light years ahead of where they use to be and as it is I don't expect to ever go back to a half helmet.

My wake up call regarding helmets and jackets for that matter came two years ago while driving in a rainstorm at dusk. I was on the interstate when almost out of the blue I realized that there was a biker just ahead of me in the other lane. He was dressed in a black hat with a black jacket and dark pants and riding a black motorcycle. The exact same riding gear I've ridden in for over thirty years. If he hadn't hit the brakes to turn onto an exist ramp I might not have ever seen him. I was really shocked at how nearly invisible he was. That got me to rethinking all of this motorcycle riding gear stuff and this year I bought a red and white ballistic cloth riding jacket with reflective trim and armor and a full-face helmet.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?