Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013 | 12:06 PM
          The Outlaw
          Tourer

i wear my full face with cold or unpredictable weather but the half when its nice out. i dont like that the full muffles the sound of the bike. with me being new to road bikes sound is how i decide when to shift.

Last edited by The Outlaw; 04-13-2013 at 12:16 PM.
          Old 04-13-2013 | 12:15 PM
          ThreatLevel Midnight
          Road Master

So sometimes I wear a ff too. On those occasions, does that mean my WG isn't "real"? Or am I myself not "real"?
          Now I'm so filled with doubt I'm not sure I can go on.
          God forbid I'm out riding and get snubbed.
          Might be more than I can bear.

Last edited by ThreatLevel Midnight; 04-13-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Evolution
          Old 04-13-2013 | 01:49 PM
          jasony0423
          Cruiser

Not only do I wear a FF, but I wear one from when I used to ride sport bikes, so it's brightly colored and junk. I still like my brains INSIDE my head, and so that's what I wear, until I replace it with another FF, but probably gonna go with a solid color this time.

Old 04-13-2013 | 02:52 PM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate
          Default My First Post On This Forum

For years I've gone back and forth between riding with a full face or open face helmet. I think I have finally switched to full face, full time. Actually my current Nolan N43 is probably not technically speaking a full face helmet since it doesn't have the chin bar but it is fully enclosed by the windshield. It's my favorite helmet ever. It fits nice, breathes well, has a visor in it and I can hear the intercom very well.

After 35 years of riding I have recently gotten very interested in advanced riding techniques. If anyone has any suggestions in that area I would appreciate hearing what you have to say.

Brian

Old 04-13-2013 | 08:56 PM
          ThreatLevel Midnight
          Road Master

I also endorse the Nolan N43. Huge eyeport.

Old 04-15-2013 | 06:52 AM
          nauzerlvr
          Cruiser

A helmet is to protect your noggin' in the event of a crash. Wear what you want on your head and tell anyone who laughs or makes some unwanted comment to kiss your ***! I wear full face, half. open face, whatever I happen to feel like wearing and anyone who doesn't like it can look the other way. It's MY head!!

Old 04-15-2013 | 08:11 AM
          mhuffington
          6th Gear

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          I speak from experience when I say this, that those people who judge you are idiots the more protection you have the better the chances you will make it if you do get into an accident. 6 months ago I totalled my 2009 Fat Bob NOT wearing a helmet and luckily walked away from it but I was beat up pretty bad. A month later I got a brand new 2012 Fat Boy Lo. I laid it down with 69 miles on it wearing a half face helmet and to this day I don't know what happened. I had 7 broken ribs, bleeding on the brain a broken leg and didn't even know who my family was for the first week I was in the hospital I didn't recognize my daughter who is 11 which was scary as hell. They were trying to determine if I was going to get my memory back and to this day I still don't think 100% of my memory is in tact although my ribs and leg have healed nicely.

I never used to wear a helmet until my first accident on the Fat Bob when a car coming the opposite direction turned right in front of me cutting off another lane of cars that were in the turn lane and he wasn't even in the turn lane. Thankfully on my second accident I was wearing a helmet or I probably wouldn't be here today.

So tell anyone that knocks you to kiss your *** and be safe! It's your life your talking about not theirs.

Old 04-15-2013 | 01:54 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mhuffington
          I laid it down with 69 miles on it wearing a half face helmet and to this day I don't know what happened. I had 7 broken ribs, bleeding on the brain a broken leg and didn't even know who my family was for the first week I was in the hospital I didn't recognize my daughter who is 11 which was scary as hell. They were trying to determine if I was going to get my memory back and to this day I still don't think 100% of my memory is in tact although my ribs and leg have healed nicely.
          I had a similar experience, memory wise, after an accident while desert racing. I lost 4 years of memory. 7 years later I reconnected with the person that had been my best friend during my 'lost' years. She and I would spend hours on the phone talking about our lives, before and after my head injury.

That actually helped bring back memories, not only of her and our time together, but it helped me remember other things in my life also. Most of my memories of those 4 years are still gone, but talking with someone that knew me then really helped.

Ron

Old 04-15-2013 | 02:12 PM
          jojoenglish85
          Road Captain

I have a Bell FF and just bought a open face custom 500. I prefer FF but love the feeling and open sight of something other than the enclosed feeling of a FF. Its a catch 22 because i feel more aware without a FF but the down side is your risking your face meeting the road during an accident.

Old 04-15-2013 | 11:32 PM
          Bkellyusa
          Intermediate

I've been riding a long time. I've had 7 motorcycles including the current Harley FXR that I have had for 23 years. I generally consider myself about as traditional a Harley rider as you can get with the exception of the fact that I am also totally independent. I resist anyone telling me what to ride, who to ride with, what wear or what to think. Up until this year I wore a leather jacket, jeans and a half helmet (most of the time). This year I bought a red and white, summer weight, ballistic material jacket with armor and the Nolan N43 helmet. The N43 is not a true fullface helmet but it looks one until you look close. I also bought the Sena Headset for that helmet. The N43 is so much better than any half helmet I have ever owned it is almost silly to try and compare them. First off, the fullface doesn't try to lift my head off my shoulders at sixty miles an hour and the Bluetooth MP3 player and intercom sounds wonderful in an enclosed helmet. It also has an easily operated, built in sun visor. As it is it's a no brainer for me. I won't go back to wearing a half helmet ever again. If people have issue with me wearing a fullface helmet I just don't know what to say. In my area people are so used to me going my own way I don't think I get much ribbing about it but you can see riders who don't know me well looking at me like they are unsure of what to make of me wearing a fullface. When I see that I just turn up the MP3 player.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?