Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013 | 10:58 AM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thumper26
          I try not to be judgemental, but I have read some rather insane (to me) comments here against wearing a helmet. People who say they don't wear one unless they are going to be on an interstate road for a while, some who say they like the wind in their face and on their head, others who simply suggest they are not "wimps" and don't want to be seen as out-of-place wearing a helmet in areas where no one wears them.

I am one of the last persons that would support the enforcement of wearing a helmet, but for the life of me I can't understand how someone can think so little of their survival to not wear one. I grew up riding without a helmet because back then there were no such laws. When the law came in I was really pissed, but started wearing one to avoid the fines which in the beginning were voluminous. After riding now over 50 years and having seen and read about death due to head trauma because no helmet was worn at the time of an accident, I will not ride without one - no matter how short my trip.

Suicide by stupidity is not in my game plan, and as far as what others think about helmets "not being cool", I could care less whatever others think. To me, riding without a helmet today, especially with all the distracted driving going on, is simply waiting for death by accident with a cager.
          I agree with most of Thumper's post. But not the parts that mention 'suicide' or 'death by accident'. Death is the easy way out of an accident. At least if the other option is a head injury. I will probably shame myself here, but that really doesn't bother me. Before getting too upset, read the next paragraph carefully and think about what it means.

I am a better then some other riders, and far better then most. That doesn't mean all other riders, so anybody can put themselves in that select group. This is based on my years riding, and racing, off road. And 40+ years, but only a few hundred thousand miles due to riding in big city traffic, of riding in an area that allows for riding 24/7/365. I only mention this to prevent the posts about my lack of skill or any charge that I'm scared. I bet that happens anyway.

My last desert race ended badly. When I woke up 6 weeks later, I had no memories of my last race, or the prior 4 years. After learning how to roll over, sit up, talk, walk, etc. I spent a few years recovering. While these skills were easier to learn(relearn) at age 21 then when I was a child, I will never be proficient enough at them that people will not immediately recognize I have a problem.

Eventually I returned to college, changed my major from Political Science(pre law) to computer science, and worked for a couple of decades as a programmer/analyst. It wasn't Silicon Valley money, but I earned enough to allow me to not work and instead help my parents after they became old and infirm. My life wasn't bad, by most standards it was pretty good, but if I had a chance to do it over I wouldn't bother.

I mention this because my injuries occured off road while wearing a DOT FF helmet. It would be easy to receive the same injuries during a minor fender bender, or slip in some water while turning a corner, and riding without a helmet. So if wearing a helmet for a few minutes, or hours, at a time is really that bad then don't wear it. Just don't depend on an accident, and possible head injury, ending your life. It might begin a new life.

I was lucky enough to already be in college and planning on a career that didn't involve too much 'work'. My job then, working for Pizza Hut, was and is beyond my ability. Just as a lot, most(?) jobs, would be. Or perhaps the lucky part was that my injury didn't impair me intellectually. Head injuries can be much worse. FLAME ON!

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 04-07-2013 at 11:07 AM.
          Old 04-07-2013 | 11:02 AM
          Deedsfoot
          6th Gear

When it's cold, warm riders wear'em

Old 04-07-2013 | 11:17 AM
          dizzymike76
          6th Gear
          Talking

Seriously go tell them to **** themselves. Do whatever you want and don't care what anyone else says. Some Harley owners feel that their are rules to own a Harley. Well unless they bought your Harley and they're paying you to ride the thing no one can tell you what to do, or what is and what is not appropriate. Harley owners also will tell you real men ride Harley's. I own a yamaha sportbike and a Harley Softail Slim. I love my Harley more than I probably should, but Its nice to ride other things too. Harley certainly doesnt get everything right when it comes to bikes just like Harley riders don't know everything about everything

Old 04-07-2013 | 12:15 PM
          Brusier1028
          Tourer

I have a FF and a half. I wear what I need depending on the ride. Short ride I wear the half. Long rides, bad weather I like the full. Do what is best for you. I know some guys don't like helmets. That's fine this is your life. But I want to wear the helmet. I see the value in it.

Old 04-07-2013 | 08:09 PM
          Victour1200
          Advanced

Ok I have my FF helmet in a bag on the Shelf ..For cold rides.. I have arthritis In my Neck back so the FF and 1/2 Helmet is too heavy for long painful rides. I have the novelty helmet to hold my baseball cap on.. Living in Florida , I am still asked why I wear a helmet after all the Rider went thru to have them Rider choice.. I lost a friend not long ago that hit a concrete telephone pole in a corner.. He was wearing a full face helmet looked nice in the Open Casket Service.. If it is your time , it doesn't matter what you are wearing. So wear what you want.. I always wore the FF on my Busa because it was hard to keep the speed down below 150+. Glasses kept trying to blow off wearing a half helmet... I have had 2 serious accidents so I didn't like skinned up hands. and always wear Gloves.. Ouch !!

Old 04-07-2013 | 09:00 PM
          Bar Nuthin
          Intermediate

A (helmetless) friend asked me if I had a Guardian Bell to protect me.

I said, "No, I have a Full Face Bell".

Old 04-08-2013 | 09:49 AM
          jimboXR
          Stage IV
          Default Nothing to Protect

Obviously those who ride without a DOT helmet or none at all feel invincible or have nothing worth protecting. Living in North Central OK and riding in the summer at 100+ deg F is uncomfortable but not a bad as recovering from road rash or bashed head.
          09 XR1200
          05 DL 650 Suz
          78 R100/7 BMW

Old 04-13-2013 | 10:59 AM
          Boost
          Tourer

I used to wear a half until I saw a guy go down HARD. Full face ever since.

Old 04-13-2013 | 11:24 AM
          Iceyblue
          Stage I
          Default Everyone assumes there own level of risk

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. However no one but you is on that motorcycle. You wear what is comfortable and mentally gives you peace of mind. Be a leader not a follower. I wear a FF all year round, around town or 1000 miles from home. Haha what do I care what others say, I have nothing to prove and neither do you.

Old 04-13-2013 | 12:01 PM
          ib5150
          Elite HDF Member

I went to a bike night last Thursday and there was well over 100 Harleys there, 1 Boss Hog and 1 Triumph. what I didn't expect to see was over half of the Harley's had Full Face helmets sitting on them, some even painted to match the theme of the bikes they were on.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?