Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013 | 11:05 PM
          Pepper87
          2nd Gear

I wear a ff helmet when it is cold or raining. I am guilty of not wearing a helmet if it is nice outside, but if I'm getting on the interstate for a long period of time I wear at least a half helmet.

Old 04-05-2013 | 11:14 PM
          IronVenom
          Novice

I wear a half helmet, and I stopped by a store to pick something up last year and brought my helmet with me (they are one of the easiest things to steal). The guy behind the counter said, "You really wear a helmet, I didn't think people wore them" I simply said, "Because one day you will probably be the one to kill me or someone else on a bike"

Old 04-06-2013 | 12:31 AM
          god61021
          Tourer

real men don't ride 883's. duh. just kiddin.

Old 04-06-2013 | 01:04 AM
          2012SuperGlider
          Road Captain

Under a bit of pressure from family I did pick up a 3/4. I figure I will wear it when it is cold, raining, or on a long highway trip to deal with debris, wind and wind noise.

Around town and on short trips in good weather I don't prefer to wear it. Additionally under these conditions I NEVER see another cruiser wearing a helmet of any kind so I would feel like the odd man out if I had one on.

Ans yes BTW I have been down twice, once a low-side and the other a very nasty high-side.

The wind in my face is addictive!

Old 04-06-2013 | 09:09 PM
          Banzai883
          Cruiser

full face helmets are cool for long trips. i just bough a half Bell drifter and i love it as much as my full. just need goggles for sure.

Old 04-06-2013 | 09:27 PM
          Helrazor
          Cruiser

as stated many times you will look much more DOUCHY with your brains splattered all over a texting teens windsheild!!

Old 04-06-2013 | 09:38 PM
          omaho5
          Road Master

Nobody gives a crap. Wear bunny ears if they make your day.

Old 04-06-2013 | 09:43 PM
          Booey424
          Grand HDF Member

when it's 40 degree's in the morning I wear my full face helmet. And I own a "REAL" Harley

Old 04-07-2013 | 06:09 AM
          figaroa03
          Intermediate

I wear a FF helmet everytime and the first time a rock or cicada hits your helmet you will be damn glad your wearing it. I say wear what you want, its your head. Take whatever risk your are comfortable with. I love to ride and just want to be as safe as I can doing it so that I can do it tomorrow too.

Old 04-07-2013 | 06:27 AM
          Thumper26
          Outstanding HDF Member

I try not to be judgemental, but I have read some rather insane (to me) comments here against wearing a helmet. People who say they don't wear one unless they are going to be on an interstate road for a while, some who say they like the wind in their face and on their head, others who simply suggest they are not "wimps" and don't want to be seen as out-of-place wearing a helmet in areas where no one wears them.

I am one of the last persons that would support the enforcement of wearing a helmet, but for the life of me I can't understand how someone can think so little of their survival to not wear one. I grew up riding without a helmet because back then there were no such laws. When the law came in I was really pissed, but started wearing one to avoid the fines which in the beginning were voluminous. After riding now over 50 years and having seen and read about death due to head trauma because no helmet was worn at the time of an accident, I will not ride without one - no matter how short my trip.

Suicide by stupidity is not in my game plan, and as far as what others think about helmets "not being cool", I could care less whatever others think. To me, riding without a helmet today, especially with all the distracted driving going on, is simply waiting for death by accident with a cager.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?