Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013 | 05:42 PM
          1maddmaxx
          Advanced

Baka1969 Very cool looking lid. I wear a ShoeI full face. Navy Vet here too. Also I agree with jamm1971 in as much as it's a personal choice and F_ck you if you don't like it.

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:24 PM
          baka1969
          Extreme HDF Member
          Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by 1maddmaxx
          Baka1969 Very cool looking lid. I wear a ShoeI full face. Navy Vet here too. Also I agree with jamm1971 in as much as it's a personal choice and F_ck you if you don't like it.
          Cheers

Old 03-13-2013 | 10:52 PM
          xxINKxx
          Tourer

Anyone do any DIY helmet speakers/Bluetooth? I like playing music, just have gone through like 6 pairs of headphones that all fall off or are uncomfy once you slide the helmet on, then I get tangled up in the wire everytime I take off my helmet/backpack. Haven't found a good full face matte black helmet with Bluetooth that has solid reviews.

I only listen to music, that's all. No phone calls, talking to other riders ect.

I currently am riding with the new matte black HJC RPHA-10 which is verrrry nice for an hjc brand helmet.

Last edited by xxINKxx; 03-13-2013 at 11:11 PM.
          Old 03-13-2013 | 10:56 PM
          Ben E
          Road Captain

I wore a FF for first two years of riding...like many I felt a little douchey in the hot summer.

Old 03-13-2013 | 11:08 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by xxINKxx
          Anyone do any DIY helmet speakers/Bluetooth? I like playing music, just have gone through like 6 pairs of headphones that all fall off or are uncomfy once you slide the helmet on, then I get tangled up in the wire everytime I take off my helmet/backpack. Haven't found a good full face matte black helmet with Bluetooth that has solid reviews.

I only listen to music, that's all. No phone calls, talking to other riders ect.
          The Shoei RF-1100 is easy to set up a Scala system. I believe Schuberth and perhaps Nolan? have integrated speakers and Bluetooth? I'm sure others can provide some suggestions.

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:34 PM
          Garret_GCD
          Intermediate

i wear a flat black full face and deft family gloves.. i love wearing em

Attached Thumbnails Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?-screen-shot-2013-03-19-at-4.15.49-pm.jpg  
          Old 03-19-2013 | 08:48 PM
          rmeg08
          Tourer

Just bought a HJC ff. great for early season riding. Keeps out the cold, wind noise and protects your face from all the crud being kicked up by cagers. Come warm weather may go back to the 1/2.

Old 03-22-2013 | 07:33 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ben E
          I wore a FF for first two years of riding...like many I felt a little douchey in the hot summer.
          Yes they were hot in the old days. But the new helmets with vents are actually cooler then 3/4, and probably half or novelty helmets, after you are moving. You can actually feel a breeze over the top of your head.

Here in the desert it is actually cooler to have a breeeze over your head, as a result of the helmets mentioned above, then to ride with the sun baking your head.

Ron

Old 03-22-2013 | 07:40 PM
          annoyinglylongname
          Stage III

I wear a full face all the time and my wife does too. I like the way she looks and don't want to see any of her chin ground off. But then again, I work in healthcare and have to deal with the aftermath of such things....

Old 03-23-2013 | 12:23 AM
          HarleyScuba
          Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by xxINKxx

I use helmet speakers in a 3/4 helmet with face shield. No Bluetooth. No phone calls. No GPS. I use an in-line amp, between an MP3 player and helmet speakers, that's about the size of a box of small, wood matches. I've tried 4 or 5 different sets of helmet speakers, and the 20 dollar jobs on Ebay work about as well as any others. Get a set of speakers that come with an in-line volume control in the cord (much easier than digging for the MP3 player's volume). Placement of the speakers is important. I like 'em directly over my ears. Don't expect Carnegie Hall, but it's still rockin'. The amp is the main thing. I've tried a few brands of amps, too, and this one has proved to be the best I've encountered for size, power and quality:
          http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Amplifier.html

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?