Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013 | 03:04 PM
          blackSP
          Tourer

Originally Posted by smitty901
          Real HD owners wear what ever they want and don't care one bit what anyone thinks about nor do they ask .
          They ride
          I think this is the most sane comment in this otherwise boring discussion. I'm surprised that nobody started a 'real Harley owners where slippers instead of boots' or 'gloves without fingers instead of gloves with full protection. What about body armor, back protectors, good tires, suspension or anything else that is safety related...

Old 03-02-2013 | 03:10 PM
          Dog812
          Cruiser

Anyone that wont buy something because its "Not Cool" is the biggest kind of loser wanna-be there is..
          make your own decisions little sheep

Old 03-02-2013 | 05:40 PM
          Wild Card
          Road Warrior

I was just thinking a few days ago...I ride my fourwheerlers with a full helmet yet ride my bike down the road with next to nothin, pretty dumb logic.

FF helmets are on my next to get before spring. I'll take not being a real biker

Old 03-02-2013 | 07:03 PM
          Str8chuter
          Road Captain

You don't get to be my age (69 years old) doing foolish and stupid things. I wear an armored H-D jacket, long pants, 511 over the ankle duty boots, full finger gloves and a Scorpion EXO 900 full face helmet whenever I get on the bike whether for a ride around the block or a ride around the island - no exceptions! I've grown very attached to all my body parts over the past 69 years and I believe in protecting them as best I can.

Old 03-06-2013 | 01:42 PM
          dcmassena
          Tourer

I ride year 'round up in the Seattle area. I wear everything from leathers, armored jackets, boots, full face helmet, half helmet, sneakers, etc. I wear what I want when I want while I'm riding. Funny thing is, I'm usually to busy riding to notice what chumps choose to say about me. I typically find that the guys who are teasing me about my choice in riding gear or my "girls bike" sportster have about 2000 to 3000 miles on their bike. That's what I put on my sportster in 6 months. Just get out there and ride, to hell with the chumps who give you crap.

Old 03-06-2013 | 02:04 PM
          DMetcalf
          Road Captain

I have a modular helmet and love it. Rode with a half helmet for years too. It's up to you and you only..!

Old 03-06-2013 | 08:54 PM
          CaptainHook
          Road Captain

I own 2 "real harleys" thats what the title says and I also own 3 full face helmets and 2 half lids... the half lids dont see day light lol

Old 03-07-2013 | 12:36 AM
          Dual-Linkerts
          Tourer

Never Leave home without it.

Attached Thumbnails Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?-0924121207b.jpg  
          Old 03-07-2013 | 01:39 AM
          The Korean
          Novice

Like others have said wear what you want... who cares what others think. It's your brain! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a new rider and taking all the safety precautions... Boots, jeans, jacket or long sleeve, full fingered gloves, and a shoei full face. While it does take a few extra minutes to get ready and does get a little warm at lights I don't think I could ride without any of my gear... I'd feel naked haha.

Old 03-07-2013 | 01:49 AM
          Victour1200
          Advanced

I Live in Fl. I ride with a Half Helmet on short Ride the trip to Daytona I will have a light weight non dot Bucket to hold my Hat on.. I do have a FF in a Bag on the closet Shelf if I need it. I don't understand why people are talking about bugs and stuff in their eyes. In Florida it is the Law to wear protective eye wear. even with a windshield.. Oh I added a Shield to my Sporty.. I don't like it for looks but it does feel so good when it is 45 degrees out... Coming Home from Daytona in 2006 the temp dropped to 35 and I had no shield. but was smart enough to buy the felt face cover and under garments and made the 120 mile trip home safe.. Proper Gear is nice in low speed Crashes but , you can see dead people on utube that are geared up properly.. Like everyone else says run what you brung.. Ride safe. OH by the way. I had 2 serious Accidents with half Helmets and never scratched my Face or wore off my nose.. I do Wear gloves full time. Last Crash in 84 skin't my gloves pretty bad... Always wear long pants and Boots.. but denim I was told by a road racer grabs the asphalt. where nylon does not... Ride Safe and feel Safe and enjoy the Ride.. I never figured out how to crawl into a $300. Helmet to keep from getting hurt.. 2 accidents , neither my Fault in 45 years was enough.. I don't like losing my Hide...

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?