Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013 | 05:04 PM
          benjitellez
          Advanced

I always wear my HD helmet, security come first for me

Old 01-23-2013 | 05:05 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
          I wouldn't wear a full helmet, no matter what I rode. I just don't like them or the way they look. I do like the way they're painted. But it doesn't bother what others wear...wear a frying pan, I don't care.
          Dang, there goes your motorsports career!

Old 01-23-2013 | 05:33 PM
          jwilskin
          Stage I

The thing I have against full face helmets is, you can't hear cars around you as good and I find it easier to change lanes with a half shell
          You should wear what your most comfortable in............Ride and have fun!

Last edited by jwilskin; 01-23-2013 at 05:35 PM.
          Old 01-23-2013 | 05:52 PM
          Thumper26
          Outstanding HDF Member

Aside from the law, why wear a helmet? Yup, to protect your head and what's attached thereto in the case of a mishap. So, my question is: How much do you value your head and what's attached thereto?

I have to admit, when I started riding in the late '50's I never wore a helmet until my state passed a law in the latter part of the 1960's. Never thought much about it back then since I was young and invincible. I prefer my FF now except on the really hot days when I wear a 3/4 helmet. I have witnessed bike accidents with 1/2, 3/4, and FF helmet wearers, and it ain't pretty. One was a fatal accident and not the biker's fault, he was broadsided by a car that ran a stop sign (she was talking on the phone). He was wearing a 3/4 but was thrown so far he died of head injuries. It really does give one pause to think about it. I believe everyone should wear what they feel comfortable with, even if that means no helmet. For me, I have always worn one since it became law but I am still a loud voice for no laws requiring it.

Old 01-23-2013 | 09:54 PM

I love the feeling of riding without a helmet. If I have a fairing a half helmet feels good and you do see much more especially in your peripheral view. But these days I do wear a full face. I split lanes at freeway speeds and live in a city of over 1 million people. With all the traffic and high speeds, I will deal with the 90 degree weather.

Old 01-25-2013 | 08:24 PM
          zrat89
          2nd Gear

Wear which ever you like! Definitely on highway travels, I like a full face. Never knock a helmet, never knock a ride!

Old 01-28-2013 | 02:08 PM
          supercan
          Stage III

The next time jus kick the **** out of this madaf,,that break you ***** !! And dont be to sensible of stupid coment if you feel confy whit your ff is ok,is impotant to feel safe, but no helmet will protect you from your own prejudice if you dont feel like the harley fit you or do have complex of eny kind about jus go for your sport bike ,oder way beat the siht out of eny idiot to tell you what to do , no poser, no idols ,no clubs ,no society decide how to drive a legend

Last edited by supercan; 01-28-2013 at 02:19 PM.
          Old 01-28-2013 | 02:24 PM
          EveHD
          Moderatress

uh, huh?

Old 01-28-2013 | 04:58 PM
          subguy
          Road Master

Originally Posted by supercan
          The next time jus kick the **** out of this madaf,,that break you ***** !! And dont be to sensible of stupid coment if you feel confy whit your ff is ok,is impotant to feel safe, but no helmet will protect you from your own prejudice if you dont feel like the harley fit you or do have complex of eny kind about jus go for your sport bike ,oder way beat the siht out of eny idiot to tell you what to do , no poser, no idols ,no clubs ,no society decide how to drive a legend
          Not sure what you said, but I defend your right to say it!

Old 01-28-2013 | 05:00 PM
          XKnight
          Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by supercan
          I'm not sure what it all means, but you have my vote for president.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?