Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013 | 10:57 PM
          J DE LUXE
          Novice

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          Did you just turn 16 or something?
          Do what you like.
          Live your own life not someone elses. ie: Don't play in to the hype and ride for yourself, ware what you want!!

Old 01-15-2013 | 11:35 PM
          LeonidasIssopoulos
          Cruiser

Full face protects full face! Cannot get simpler than that.
          We wear whatever we feel better.....this is how I perceive Freedom!

Old 01-17-2013 | 01:55 PM
          DavidStiebel
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LeonidasIssopoulos
          Full face protects full face! Cannot get simpler than that.
          We wear whatever we feel better.....this is how I perceive Freedom!
          Personally,
          1. I don't go down the road on my face
          2. I don't believe a helment is going to save my life, just keep the back of my head on as it rolls down the highway!

just saying...

Old 01-17-2013 | 02:03 PM
          chad883
          Cruiser

I wasn't liking the "full-face helmet look" at all and went went the Bell 3/4 first - hated the mushroom look so returned it and went with the Lick's NovDot 3/4 and love it! However, instead of taking the train to LA like I used to everyday, I take now take my bike to my new office in La Habra until we move back to South OC. I had a sh!tty visor thing from some independent shop in Long Beach for freeway rides and it it would fly off if I turned my head at all!

SO - last night I went and purchased a FF Seven Zero Seven helmet and had my first ride up the I-5 fwy with it today.... I LOVE IT! I think it looks pretty badass too. For fwy rides, you won't catch me wearing anything but my new FF from here on out.

Wear want you want to wear and do what you wanna do man. I feel safer and can turn my head instead of having to look straight ahead for 40 miles up the I-5 everyday. 100% safer, quieter, and more comfortable. Who cares what anyone else thinks? I've always seemed to do what I want and although not always the best option, it makes me....me.

Here's the helmet I bought last night but I bought the black visor instead of the clear...

Attached Thumbnails Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?-707-vendetta-3_zpsf096b16e.jpg  
          Old 01-17-2013 | 02:39 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
          Personally,
          1. I don't go down the road on my face
          2. I don't believe a helment is going to save my life, just keep the back of my head on as it rolls down the highway!

just saying...
          There is talk of banning helmets in the NFL, Hockey and all professional motorsports.

Old 01-17-2013 | 03:10 PM
          huntnaz
          Cruiser

I wear either a half, 3/4 or FF doesn't matter which one, but I always wear a helmet.
          My wife always wears a FF and had her FF modular on when she wrecked her Iron 883 last year. When Nikki and the bike came to a stop she was pinned underneath with the bike sitting on her helmet. If she wasn't wearing her helmet she wouldn't be here today pestering me to buy her another Iron!
          As others have said you wear what you want Screw what others think or say!!!!

Old 01-17-2013 | 03:12 PM
          grancuda
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          There is talk of banning helmets in the NFL, Hockey and all professional motorsports.
          Yeah, don't forget the NHRA guys, I hear Force racing is going to quit using theirs and Eddie Krawiec said they can’t see good with a helmet, without one they can then use their peripheral vision to see if someone is coming around to pass them.

Old 01-17-2013 | 03:59 PM
          roydw49
          5th Gear

wear what you r comfy with, the harley riders that think your not cool have them look at the label in their harley jacket where is it made usa NOT

Old 01-17-2013 | 04:06 PM
          Helrazor
          Cruiser
          Default some people

arent happy uless there hatin, i were a dot approved skid lid around town and full faced for long trips/weather conditions i live in a state with no helment laws. you should wear what makes u comfortable and feel safe. real harley owners have the keys to one.
          Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?

Old 01-22-2013 | 06:01 PM
          Major Thom
          Road Captain

Idk...does this guy look douchy? I don't think so! FF is pretty common here in Cali. Helps hide your identity if things go bad.

Last edited by Major Thom; 01-22-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?