Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012 | 04:24 AM
          grbrown
          Club Member

Originally Posted by jak1
          Hey guys don't know if anyone has mentioned this helmet without going through the last 62 pages, but what about the Schuberth J1. It sort of covers all bases. Going to try one on myself and if it feels right will pick one up in the Xmas sales.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/schuberth-j1/

Jak...
          Been using Schuberths for years and been through their C, C2 and now C3 flip-ups. We now have their built in blue-tooth intercom.

Old 12-19-2012 | 04:24 AM
          jswanson
          Intermediate

I have an open face helmet and a full face... I now wear the full face helmet exclusively. Why? Because I like my face...it's a cute face...and I'd like to keep it that way if I go down.

Old 12-20-2012 | 05:22 PM
          stealthtt24
          Tourer

Funny I saw this thread a week ago. When I ride my sr500 its full face. When I got the 48, I picked up a brain bucket and was waiting on the Outlaw DOT half to get in stock. Today I saw the full face and said what the hell lets try it out! I didn't realize how much more I enjoy riding the full face! Thank you to this thread

Old 12-20-2012 | 06:17 PM
          Thumper26
          Outstanding HDF Member

Helmets were initially like seat belts to me, I never wore either until they made them the law to do so. I started with the 3/4 infamous Bell 500 which was about all that was available back in the early 1960's, and I hated wearing it - but I hated the fines more. Then came a time in the late 1960's when my only transportation was a Triumph 650 for 2 years. I bought a full face helmet to wear for the winter months - ONLY! Fast forward to the present time and I actually love my full face, and except for a couple of warm-to-hot months in the summer when I wear a 3/4, my full face is my go-to helmet. Helmets and seat belts have been second nature to me for the past several decades and I hate to admit it, but I doubt I would ever ride again without either. It just feels safer, but then again, that could be an illusion...

Old 12-20-2012 | 06:18 PM
          cm ride
          Cruiser

Opinions are like ******** we all haveone. I've been riding sense 7 first ride a mini bike my dad modified with a 7horse briggs. They just got bigger and faster from there. 1st real accident, here's what i remember looking down thru the t-tops of some dumbass 80's camaro right after he t-boned me and sent me flying. Helmet BELL FF cracked the helmet in half saved the head. I ride with both a FF long rides and winter and 1/2 local rides around town and country road rides. It's ur head your bike your body do what makes you feel comfortable and RIDE ON. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, But rather to skip in broadslide thouroughly used up totally worn out and wildlly proclaming WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!!

Old 12-20-2012 | 11:19 PM
          blacklabel213
          Cruiser

I just had my first ride in a FF helmet (Nolan 104) I was worried I'd hate it. Great visibility and no wind freezing my lips off.

Old 12-21-2012 | 06:46 AM
          Pixiechitos
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
          Been using Schuberths for years and been through their C, C2 and now C3 flip-ups. We now have their built in blue-tooth intercom.
          My wife and I both have the C3 and we love it. It's way smaller and quiter than our older helmets plus we can listen to our music and talk. People who phone me never know I'm on the bike.

Old 12-21-2012 | 03:45 PM
          HelmetHead
          Banned

Wear a bandanna with a Harley logo, chicks really go for it.

Old 12-23-2012 | 09:26 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          I don't expect my helmet to save me in a highway speed crash. I do expect it to help in the event of a 35mph or less crash where most motorcycle fatalities occur. Riding is a risk in which we all have to decide what level of safety gear we are comfortable with.

You lose situational awareness with a FF helmet. How do I know I wear all types. I can hear everything in my Bell 500 Custom, cars, tire noise, etc.. I can't hear that stuff with my HJC FF on. Your visibility is slightly impaired with a FF because of the chin bar. I can see better, hear better in a 3/4 or half helmet.
          Two points:

1. The true value of a helmet has nothing to do with 'fatalities'. A lot of 'fatalities' are caused because of injuries to the body, not the head. Even more important, IMO, are the incidents in which a rider receives an injury to the head that causes brain damage. And since some helmet law opponents claim their head never hit the ground during a crash, that is believeable because some people do win lotteries or get struck by lightning, there are apparently an infinite number of variations of possible blows to the head. These are the times when a helmet is really helpful.

2. Your assessment of a FF helmet's bad points is totally off the mark, again IMO. I can hear everything in my FF helmet. But you are right that the chin bar slighty impairs vision. Without tilting my head, I can't see the gas tank between the gas cap and my crotch. Luckily for me, being able to see that part of the gas tank is not really important while riding.

I suggest you get a different FF helmet. And this time try it on before you buy it. While it is on your head, move your eyes as far left and as far right as you can. If you can see the edge of the helmet, try a different helmet. If you can't see the edge of the helmet, any vision inpairment is psychological. And unless you are buying the helmet in a church, there should be enough noise to deternine if it restricts hearing. If it does, try a different helmet.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 12-23-2012 at 09:29 PM.
          Old 12-25-2012 | 12:05 AM
          johnny reb
          Novice

loyds of london insurance requires me to go ff thats cause my beoutiful face is insured its ok for youse guys with those ugly mugs to go open i envy yall

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?