Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012 | 09:41 AM
          khui
          Road Master

I respect people who are willing to wear a full face helmet for safety reasons and can say so.

Aside from "looks", what other practical reason is there for partial helmets and/or no helmets? if individuals choose to compromise safety to look cool, then that is there choice, but there's no need to look down on others who put safety as top priority.

just my 2 cents. thx.

k.

Old 12-04-2012 | 10:01 AM
          CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
          Road Master
          Cool Full protection

I WEAR FULL FACE AND ALL LEATHER PROTECTION ALL THE TIME! 71 YEARS OLD AND COULD CARE LESS WHAT THEY THINK. YOU HIT THE PAVEMENT YOU WANT IT ALL AND WANT IT NOW!

Old 12-04-2012 | 08:05 PM
          Trusten
          Tourer
          Default my 2 cents

I agree with all the previous posts that stated, to summarize, wear what you want and tell the guy that told you "real" Harley riders don't wear full-faced helmets to kiss your a$$.

I ride with a FF helmet 90% of the time. The only time I ride with my half helmet is when my wife and I ride together (her on her 600cc Silverwing scooter) because the radio thingie we got fits my half helmet, but does not fit in my full face.

I remember when I took the MC saftey course here in Texas, they told us 60% (maybe more, can't remember) injuries to the face in a motorcycle accident were to the face, nose, chin area.

Look, to each his own, my brother in law is mid-60's, been riding harely's since the 1960's. And, he has never rode with a helmet that I know of.

Make your own decisions. As to the Harley culture, man, we harley riders redefine and make it us as we go man. It is about the ride, not the gear.

At least, that is my 2 cents.

Old 12-12-2012 | 10:51 PM
          Mountainair
          2nd Gear

Adding to the chorus... Ever been driving your car and had a rock hit the windshield. That's going to hurt more than a little bit if it gets you in the face. Depends on where you're riding. Flying rocks much less common on country roads with little traffic.

Old 12-13-2012 | 01:23 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Trusten
          because the radio thingie we got fits my half helmet, but does not fit in my full face.

The Scala unit for snowmobiles substitutes the stiff boom style for a flexible wire and adhesive backed microphone to fit FF helmets. Not sure if yours can be swapped out.

Old 12-13-2012 | 12:36 PM
          WyoJon
          Advanced

When I got my bike I got a half helmet and to be honest, I regret it.

What I should have done - and will end up doing - is getting a full face. Not necessarily for the safety, but for the comfort and especially the warmth while I'm riding this winter. I'll grab a skid lid for the warmer months. Otherwise, I wear what's comfortable. Around town I've got a leather bomber jacket and cowboy hat - not safe, but it's my head and there's no helmet law in Wyoming. When I'm on the road, leather gloves, jacket and chaps and that damned half helmet plus whatever else I need to stay warm.

Old 12-13-2012 | 01:41 PM
          xxINKxx
          Tourer

I just put away my 3/4 novdot due to it being to cold early morning and after work. I picked up a HJC RPHA-10 in matte black last night since i got 40$ off for Xmas sale. This has got to the best full face helmet I've used. Usually HJC is kinda on the lower end so I was a lil skeptical but holding it and trying it at the store I went for it. HJC stepped it up. Super light (barley could feel it, and I'm used to wearing my licks novdot 3/4 everyday. Vents great, comfy and really quiet, also no fog. I ordered a couple face shields which can be swapped out in 15 seconds too which is nice compared to the difficult icon visors.

I think full face helmets look way better then the half helmets. I only wear my 3/4" because it feels more free, I can see better. But I feel safer in my new full.

Last edited by xxINKxx; 12-13-2012 at 01:50 PM.
          Old 12-13-2012 | 01:42 PM
          iwantmybeerbackplease
          Tourer

If you want to keep your face the way it is, I'd wear the full face. I like my full face Arai, and have grown accustom to wearing it even in the Summer. For the record, I thought peer pressure was something that was left to high schoolers. Just my opinion, I'd wear what you want.

-Beer

Last edited by iwantmybeerbackplease; 12-13-2012 at 06:48 PM.
          Old 12-13-2012 | 04:52 PM
          jak1
          Advanced

Hey guys don't know if anyone has mentioned this helmet without going through the last 62 pages, but what about the Schuberth J1. It sort of covers all bases. Going to try one on myself and if it feels right will pick one up in the Xmas sales.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/schuberth-j1/

Jak...

Old 12-13-2012 | 04:58 PM
          gtonut
          6th Gear

Like many of the others have said , who cares what others think . I`ll wear only a full face . I got hit on my cycle back in February , some bitch ran through a red light hitting me at about 40 mph , I flew over her hood on her suv , hit the windshield with my head and flipped in the air before I landed on my back .
          stick with a good full face helmet

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?