Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012 | 11:52 PM
          Deucedog
          Stellar HDF Member

I don't like the look of a windshield on a non touring style bike, so I use a quick detach style that I can take off when I get to where I'm going. There's no way I can take the blast of wind on my chest for hours, let alone the parachute effect it has on a 1/2 helmet. Last year I bought a FF to use during the cold weather. I like the FF so much that I've only used the windshield a couple of times since I got it. I think I look much cooler with the helmet on than I do with the windshield on. If anyone doesn't like it, no problem: it's my bike, my helmet, my head, and my money. I bought a FF for my wife and she likes it so much she actually asks if she can go with me sometimes now. I had never realized how uncomfortable she was prior to it.

Besides, with the FF on no one can tell how ugly I am and I have a better chance fitting in with real bikers.

Last edited by Deucedog; 12-02-2012 at 11:56 PM.
          Old 12-02-2012 | 11:53 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rickss69
          Upwards "of" $700, not upwards "from"...anyway, if you have a link for one of those $3995 helmets we would all like to see that lol.
          http://www.leatherup.com/p/Arai-Cors...FWrZQgodNzMAaQ

http://www.motorcyclecenter.com/p/Sh...FUjZQgodiGQABQ

The CF is lighter, but doesn't provide any better safety protection.

Old 12-02-2012 | 11:57 PM
          rickss69
          Stellar HDF Member
          Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Lol! Good god...know the address of any bonehead that bought one? (Get the head size wrong on one of those haha!)

Last edited by rickss69; 12-03-2012 at 12:13 AM.
          Old 12-03-2012 | 12:32 AM
          Dual-Linkerts
          Tourer

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          I checked your helmet specs looks like its built well its Snell approved so its made for the big hit.
          I wouldn't pull out of my driveway without a good quality helmet on my noggin.
          Here's what I wear its a Bell Star

Attached Thumbnails Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?-images-113.jpeg  
          Old 12-03-2012 | 02:04 AM
          Greatscott
          Road Master

Jesus Christ man....600+ posts about fukin helmets. I don't know why anyone would give a crap what type of helmet another person is wearing, and anyone that does is riding for all the wrong reasons.

Old 12-03-2012 | 02:11 AM
          Dual-Linkerts
          Tourer

Originally Posted by Greatscott
          Jesus Christ man....600+ posts about fukin helmets. I don't know why anyone would give a crap what type of helmet another person is wearing, and anyone that does is riding for all the wrong reasons.
          Well I hear ya man but Jesus never wore a helmet man he wore a Crown of thorns.

Old 12-03-2012 | 11:21 AM
          ev0lution7
          Tourer

This is what i got:

Nolan N-102 Modular helmet.. it came from my good ridding buddy who passed away... it was his and he loved it...

Name:  NolanN102.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  96.2 KB

Old 12-03-2012 | 07:04 PM
          Jamesbarber1989
          Intermediate

I wear a full face helmet because I ride my sportster very hard, I lean into corners deep and I know its not a street bike but I like pushing my harleys limits, dragging peg is pretty common for me so if anything ever happens i'll be very happy that i have a full face helmet on so i dont need facial reconstructive surgery.

Old 12-03-2012 | 08:17 PM
          BluBeaSSt
          Tourer

I went down on my last bike and my full faced saved my life, so I wear nothing but full faced helmets. At the end of the day it's your life, you could still go down and die from a head injury but it's less likely with a full faced helmet.

Old 12-04-2012 | 08:51 AM
          Ridinrye
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Helen Wheels
          harley davidson just sent me the title to my bike a cpl weeks ago so im a real owner and i wear a full face helmet in the winter months...hmmmmm...and by the way, **** on what anyone else says, do what makes you happy !
          Last
          Time I checked my title, my name was on it. Guess that means I'm a HD owner.... Well said.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?