Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010 | 10:59 PM
          frontiercat
          Elite HDF Member

Don't worry about the "culture" and do what you think is right for your skull...even if it changes from day to day.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure seems sort of appropriate.

Congrats on the new ride...

Old 07-28-2010 | 11:09 PM
          OldFenderGuy
          Ultimate HDF Member

I wear steel toe boots, Wrangler jeans, a t-shirt, head band (to keep the hair out of my face), leather vest with back patch most of the time, and if on longer runs gel-palmed fingerless gloves to cut down the vibration.

Oh, and also a hand gun in a 'inside the waistband' holster....

Been riding that way for many, many years, and I'm perfectly fine with it...

Others might prefer a FF helmet, kevlar jacket and jeans, and whatever else....

Wear whatever you want, and why should it matter what others think...

Old 07-28-2010 | 11:26 PM
          vegasrock
          Tourer

I personally hate full face helmets. I don't like the way they look, but I know the risk I take wearing a non DOT approved 3/4. I think its stupid though for someone to criticize you for your choice of safety gear. Wear whatever the hell you feel like wearing. Its usually the douches that hardly ever ride their bikes that talk the most ****. And as much as I do hate full face helmets I have broken down and bought one for the winter months. Riding in the winter when its raining and 40 degrees for 4 hours isn't exactly fun with bare skin. I can even throw looks out the window then.

Old 07-28-2010 | 11:32 PM
          vegasrock
          Tourer

Originally Posted by BackinBlackfxdb
          Guaranteed that a full-face helmet looks better than a hospital gown, or a casket.
          ehh....a full face helmet isn't necessarily going to keep you out of a hospital gown.

Old 07-28-2010 | 11:33 PM
          veritas.archangel
          Road Warrior

Heck, FF helmets are what I've always wanted since my Honda minibike days. I love the Darth Vader look. My first was a Shoei X-1 back in the late 80's. It was gloss black with the dark black tinted face shield. Right now I have a Sparx FF that is flat black with the silver tint face shield. I still have that old Shoei, though. Went through an accident with me, no longer safe to wear. Nice dent in the back.

I hated the stupid 3/4 helmets with the snap-on shields. Still do. Tried the half helmet, thought it was way more uncomfortable than my FF.

Old 07-28-2010 | 11:43 PM
          lownslow
          Road Master

Holy sheeeet.... these helmet threads are a trip. Had em all. Last accident I actually remember seeing the pavement flying accross my face. Probably wouldn't have a nose right now and would have needed to do the michael jackson thing. Full face made me really think. Glad I had it on at the time. The knee looked like hamburger though..........went through 2 jackets and shattered the left leg. Don't like road rash anymore. Rode today with a levi jacket even though it was on the hot side.

If someone has an opinion on what I ride with...............they can kiss my freakin ***. Don't care anymore, I ride how I want dressed how I want. Do switch around the helmets though. As some wise soul said on here recently........2 dollar helmet, 2 dollar head.......

Ridin around the city is different than bein back in the 40's or 50's on some lonely country road...............

Old 07-28-2010 | 11:58 PM
          NSCoyote
          Club Member

welcome to the lifestyle,

heres your first lesson, "REAL" harley riders wear what they want too and dont give a damn what the other riders think. wether its a skull cap or full face spaceman helmet. so enjoy the ride, if its a full face you wear be proud to say its YUOR choice of head gear

Old 07-29-2010 | 12:01 AM
          RCFlyer571
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by karate joe
          I work in a level 1 trauma hospital. Ive seen a lot of head injeries. A full face dot approved helmet is the best to wear. Wear what you want and dont worry about other opions. Nobody is looking at your helmet. Do you really look at some rider and think he is an idiot for wearing any type of helmet?
          Having said this, I rarely wear mine.

I work for the fire dept, and see the stuff that never makes it to a hospital... That being said, some of those had on full face helmets. I think it all depends on you and what youre comfortable with. I have a ff helmet, but that might not matter if someone decides to pull out infront of you. But as far as what other people think, who cares...

Stay safe...

Old 07-29-2010 | 12:12 AM
          jbyun
          Road Captain

FF helmets are the only way to go when it's raining, in my opinion. Who would have thought rain would hurt so much!

Makes you really appreciate the windshield on your car.

Old 07-29-2010 | 12:27 AM
          KaponeWKYA
          Tourer

My entire club, well 90%, wear full face modular helmets and talk **** to the ones who don't wear a full face. It looks like most people that I see around on the Harleys wear a full face. I know for a fact it saved my best friend's life and that's good enough for me. Matter of fact, another guy from a different club went down this weekend and only had a half helmet on and really eff'd his face up...

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?