Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012 | 01:03 PM
          smitty901
          Seasoned HDF Member
          Veteran: Army

Real harley Riders wear or don't wear what ever they want to and don't really care
          about what other may or may not think about it

Old 12-01-2012 | 01:09 PM
          Hands0fDeath
          Advanced

Originally Posted by rickss69
          I don't think 10 helmets would have made any difference in that situation lol...
          Probably not but a neck brace would've. I rock a full face and love it. Of coarse I have ridden with no helmet at all, I live in AR, and it's crazy how I could actually turn my head. I liked it too.

Name:  272tr.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  102.2 KB

Last edited by Hands0fDeath; 12-01-2012 at 01:14 PM.
          Old 12-01-2012 | 02:49 PM
          fat_tony
          Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rwhisen
          Don't forget that Dale Earnhardt wasn't a fan of full face helmets either and we know how that turned out for him.
          To be fair Dale campaigned against mandatory neck braces and died of a broken neck. The neck braces all race drivers wear now require the use of a FF helmet to connect to. I've never heard of a race car driver not wearing a full face helmet, at least not in the recent past. They made neck braces mandatory after an investigation of his accident.

Last edited by fat_tony; 12-01-2012 at 02:56 PM.
          Old 12-02-2012 | 12:41 AM
          blacklabel213
          Cruiser

Damn I wish I knew I wouldn't be a real Harley owner anymore before I had bought a FF Helmet this week.

Old 12-02-2012 | 08:29 AM
          OUTRIDER1
          Intermediate

Did you ever see a full face that was in a crash? Doesn't matter what crash, who's fault, what was hit. When you see one or more and the damage the helmet took it will become obvious why you would want to wear a ff.

Besides, were all to good looking to want to mess up such good looks!

Old 12-02-2012 | 03:30 PM
          Sinaloco925
          Intermediate

So many stupid misconceptions like that within the biker coimmunity

Old 12-02-2012 | 03:52 PM
          Brobrian
          Cruiser

Truth is we all care what others think. It's always funny to listen to all these folks claim their individuality. Anyway, safety aside, there are many reasons to wear a full face. If your bike hasn't got a windshield or fairing, the comfort level from a full-face goes up, and riding is more enjoyable. On rainy days, or when bugs are out in force, full-face is the way to go. Extreme cold, again, more comfortable.
          Half-helmets, skid lids, etc. are more convenient to put on and off especially for those who wear glasses, offer better feel in good weather, especially behind an windshield, and are cooler in hot weather. Additionally, face shield fogging is a non-issue.

Around the neighborhood, as when taking a test run after a repair, I don't wear one at all.

I hope you get several helmets for different purposes and even different looks, and enjoy riding what you wear on your head as much as what is under your seat.

Old 12-02-2012 | 05:10 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OUTRIDER1
          Did you ever see a full face that was in a crash? Doesn't matter what crash, who's fault, what was hit. When you see one or more and the damage the helmet took it will become obvious why you would want to wear a ff.

Besides, were all to good looking to want to mess up such good looks!
          You ever see a car crushed by a texting, inattentive, drunk driver in a car or truck. The occupants didn't survive with all the safety gear built into the vehicle. I'm not against wearing in fact I wear all 3 types with a 3/4 as my primary.

With that being said I don't expect my helmet to save me in a highway speed crash. I do expect it to help in the event of a 35mph or less crash where most motorcycle fatalities occur. Riding is a risk in which we all have to decide what level of safety gear we are comfortable with.

You lose situational awareness with a FF helmet. How do I know I wear all types. I can hear everything in my Bell 500 Custom, cars, tire noise, etc.. I can't hear that stuff with my HJC FF on. Your visibility is slightly impaired with a FF because of the chin bar. I can see better, hear better in a 3/4 or half helmet.

I ride in an area made up of 99% HD riders and most of them don't wear but I choose to. I figure if a person is so hung up on sliding there face down the road waiting for their demise they might as well not ride or drive a car for that matter.

I love to ride, I eat bad food, I drink to much I suppose but I'm living life like I want to not worrying too much about how long im going to be here. I equate that to the riding experience. Do what you want because you want to and not because of what anybody else thinks. Ride on!

Old 12-02-2012 | 05:21 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rickss69
          They are out there, but can't bring myself to invest that kind of money just for the Snell rating. I just found these that I would consider when I tire of the Bell... http://www.edgeperformance.ca/motorc...rcycle-15.html
          Wow! Didn't know that existed! Perhaps the only one.

But you can't bring yourself to invest $270 for a Snell helmet? LOL, that's said.

Originally Posted by Brobrian
          Half-helmets, skid lids, etc. are more convenient to put on and off especially for those who wear glasses, offer better feel in good weather, especially behind an windshield, and are cooler in hot weather. Additionally, face shield fogging is a non-issue.
          Agreed about the glasses and face shield fogging although those are extemely minor.

Regarding hot weather, face shield up for shade along with the cooling vents for the scalp can arguably keep a rider cooler vs. the enclose area of a 1/2-3/4 and sun/wind exposure causing more rapid dehydration.

Any studies done on that?

Old 12-02-2012 | 05:30 PM
          trainedkilla
          Road Warrior

I rode sportbikes and wore full face helmets for years. With that being said, once I bought a Harley, I will never wear a full face helmet again. I have a half helmet and a 3/4 helmet.

The full face helmet is needed on a sportbike because of the high speeds and riding position. On a Harley, if you are scared of getting a little wind on your face, jump in the cage.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?