Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012 | 01:38 PM
          fat_tony
          Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          I wear a FF because it is the safest and most comfortable option. Something like 35% of head impacts in an accident are to the face and chin. You're also 80% less likely to suffer a serious head injury with a FF compared to a half helmet and 100% less likely to have facial injuries. If that's not enough a FF is the most comfortable option on the highway or in cooler weather plus it keeps the bugs from splatting on your face. Get some anti fog spray for the cold weather. With the visor up mine is just as cool in the heat as a open face. That said better quality FF helmets will vent better than cheap ones usually. It's the self conscious douchbags who say stuff like this and wear non DOT **** helmets and skull facemasks.

Attached Thumbnails Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?-helmetcrashdiagram.jpg  

Last edited by fat_tony; 11-30-2012 at 01:45 PM.
          Old 11-30-2012 | 05:31 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

How many of you guys with 3/4 helmets are using Snell M2010 approved?

Old 12-01-2012 | 01:16 AM
          rickss69
          Stellar HDF Member
          Veteran: Marine Corp

Here is the Bell Revolver modular I have taken to wearing. Yeah, it's a little Storm Trooper looking lol, but it wears well with a chin curtain and I love how I can flip it up easily for a 3/4 style when I want. It even has a flip-down tinted visor feature...I no longer wear sunglasses under my helmet.

Name:  2011-Bell-Revolver-Helmet-White.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  2007Sportster004-2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  874.7 KB

Name:  2007Sportster005-2.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  875.4 KB

Name:  2007Sportster006-2.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  885.3 KB

Old 12-01-2012 | 05:04 AM
          DavidStiebel
          Road Warrior

Myself, I never liked the full farce helmets and the new ones (IMO) have a technology failure, they open like a door, if its FF you want then wear a real FF unit, not a wannabe.

Ive always enjoyed the open road, highway or B roads with 1/2 helmet if I must wear one. I don't ride like I stole the bike, its mine. I ride safe and sane (always have), especially with the wife aboard, we enjoy the day and being together. If Im alone I'll have a beer to smooth the ride, go ahead shoot me. Those who say I'm irresponsible have no idea what irresponsible is. Go to India, Pakastan, Peru, Harlem, There you find irresponsible en-mass.

Cheers.

Old 12-01-2012 | 06:00 AM
          grbrown
          Club Member
          Talking

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
          Myself, I never liked the full farce helmets and the new ones (IMO) have a technology failure, they open like a door, if its FF you want then wear a real FF unit, not a wannabe.
          I'm on my fourth! They are brilliant and superior to the fixed variety. You really should try one.

Old 12-01-2012 | 12:05 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
          I'm on my fourth! They are brilliant and superior to the fixed variety. You really should try one.
          They are very clever but heavier and I haven't seen one that is Snell approved yet. Looking forward to the possibility though.

Old 12-01-2012 | 12:27 PM
          rickss69
          Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          They are very clever but heavier and I haven't seen one that is Snell approved yet. Looking forward to the possibility though.

They are out there, but can't bring myself to invest that kind of money just for the Snell rating. I just found these that I would consider when I tire of the Bell... http://www.edgeperformance.ca/motorc...rcycle-15.html

Last edited by rickss69; 12-01-2012 at 12:56 PM.
          Old 12-01-2012 | 12:39 PM
          Juan L

Don't forget that Dale Earnhardt wasn't a fan of full face helmets either and we know how that turned out for him.

Old 12-01-2012 | 12:44 PM
          rickss69
          Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rwhisen
          Don't forget that Dale Earnhardt wasn't a fan of full face helmets either and we know how that turned out for him.
          I don't think 10 helmets would have made any difference in that situation lol...

Old 12-01-2012 | 12:45 PM
          RevRaz
          Tourer

I'm glad I found this thread. Just the other day when I bought my bike, I had the dealer throw in a helmet with the deal. The salesperson actually convinced me to get the more expensive full face over the 1/2 and 3/4, and they were even paying for it. That to me showed they cared more about my safety than how it looked or what some may think is cool or not. I thank them for being conscience of my safety and did take the full face helmet.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?