Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012 | 12:29 AM
          rickss69
          Stellar HDF Member
          Veteran: Marine Corp

Since temps here dipped into the low 30's I have been wearing my Bell FF modular...sure is much better in the wind. I ride every day/night and saw a total of three bikes on the road this afternoon...none at night.

Old 11-29-2012 | 05:16 AM
          FBFletch
          Road Master

I heard that "REAL" bikers slam their ***** in a bear trap before they get on their bikes to ride. I think we should all start doing that.

Old 11-29-2012 | 05:40 AM
          rickss69
          Stellar HDF Member
          Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by FBFletch
          I heard that "REAL" bikers slam their ***** in a bear trap before they get on their bikes to ride. I think we should all start doing that.
          I think a demonstration of the proper technique is in order.

Old 11-29-2012 | 09:14 AM
          40Eight
          Advanced

I owned a 650 BSA Lighting when I was in the Army in Germany. Going to work one day while negotiating a increasing radius left hander, I hit some gravel. It started to low side; but, I corrected and it abruptly set up straight and almost high sided me. I ran off the rode to the right and the bushes along side the road were beating the crap out of me. I would have made it back up on the road had it not been for a big limb on tree that clotheslined me (like a cartoon cowboy).

When I woke up, I did a body inventory and felt OK, but I couldn't see out of my right eye. I got up and located the beezer which was several yards in front of me. I used the chrome on the tank as a mirror and found out that I couldn't see because the blood had pooled in my eye from the gash under it and the blood had coagulated. I guess I was unconscious for a good while. Anyway, I scooped the thick jelly blood out my eye, stood my bike up and checked it out (not a scratch), cranked it up and rode to a nearby infirmary. The medic stitched up my eye and pulled numerous thorns from face that I had collected from the bushes.

I rode on to work and caught hell from my superiors; but, they sent me home.

I dug up and just now scanned the photo that my wife took when I got home that day. It hurt a lot worse than the pic looks. It was 1969, almost 43 years ago to the day.

I was wearing a 3/4 that day; but, I now and will always wear a FF.

Old 11-29-2012 | 09:31 AM
          dobeman21
          Cruiser

Many advantages to the full face, biggest of course being safety. The other reason I wear a full face helmet is to cut down on the wind- I don't always wear a helmet, particularly when it is extremely hot, but when I do it is full face.

Old 11-29-2012 | 09:56 AM
          Thumper26
          Outstanding HDF Member

I was riding long before my state mandated helmets. I remember fighting that law but it was against all hope because federal highway funds would be withheld if the state law wasn't passed. What has the federal government become, anyway? I want them out of my life, out of my wallet, and back to the size envisioned by the Founding Fathers. Oh, well, a whole other topic...

My first helmet was a Bell 3/4 (probably one of the only manufacturers around back then and what most were forced to wear), and full-face helmets didn't even exist. Over the years and as helmets evolved, I bought an Arai full-face helmet and became quite fond of it except in the summer. Many helmets later I still prefer the full-face style for protection, wind noise, and for the flip-up shield that now gives pretty good ventilation along with the vents. It's nice to ride during the day with sunglasses and the shield up, but as darkness falls, it's a joy to take off the sunglasses and just flip down the shield. It's also a great helmet in the late April thru June "bug period". I still wear a 3/4 when it's hot, but do prefer the full-face helmet overall.

Old 11-29-2012 | 10:20 AM
          Shortcircuit
          Cruiser

I'm surprised the same guy didn't tell you your 883 is not a real Harley.

Old 11-29-2012 | 01:02 PM
          ev0lution7
          Tourer

I ride with a Nolan Full Face Modular... (signed by Arlen Ness) and I love it! its a good helmet. i would not ride in anything else...

Old 11-29-2012 | 01:11 PM
          aces&8s
          Ultimate HDF Member

The full face wont look so dorky if you cover it in fur and bufflo horns

Old 11-29-2012 | 01:32 PM
          Riven02
          Cruiser

Below 50 I wear a full face.... My bike is how I get to work. No reason to freeze to look "cool". I just need to make it to work and back.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?