Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012 | 12:50 PM
          TheCeltic89
          6th Gear

I use a haft helmet on any trips over 20 min other than that I usually just where my bandana even under my helmet.

Old 05-13-2012 | 02:40 PM
          Buck Logic
          Stage III

I have heard similar comments regarding windshields, ( real Bikers don't use windshields). This coming from a guy who doesn't even ride. And the same goes for the full face, I personally don't like the way a fat *** moth feels hitting me in the face at 60 mph.

Old 05-13-2012 | 03:35 PM
          ANESTHESIA
          Tourer

Originally Posted by Buck Logic
          I have heard similar comments regarding windshields, ( real Bikers don't use windshields). This coming from a guy who doesn't even ride. And the same goes for the full face, I personally don't like the way a fat *** moth feels hitting me in the face at 60 mph.
          I love a good bee to the lip at 80. Feels fantastic.

Old 05-13-2012 | 03:38 PM
          ANESTHESIA
          Tourer

Not to mention, The Stig wears a helmet, and, he's a badass.

Old 05-13-2012 | 04:46 PM
          Von_Zipper
          Road Warrior

I wear some sort of face protection when riding without windshield. In cold weather it's often full-face. I don't give a crap if it makes me a wussie. The way I ride my Sporty is a nightmare for most folks. I do power slides, I pull wheelies, I do get my rear up on brakes, ... etc. I do have fun riding it. If you want a big bug hit you between your eyes at 120+ MPH go ahead riding a half helmet without a windshield. I had it once, got both eyes black and blacked out for a fraction of a second. I was lucky to get my eyesight back before it got fatal.

Old 05-13-2012 | 04:58 PM
          USMCDevilDogg
          Cruiser

You should wear the kind of helmet that makes you feel comfortable when riding regardless on how you look. I could care less what people say about my lid or clothes when they see me riding. I wear what makes me feel comfortable so I can enjoy the ride.

Old 05-13-2012 | 10:58 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ANESTHESIA
          Not to mention, The Stig wears a helmet, and, he's a badass.
          Amen to that!

Old 05-13-2012 | 11:23 PM
          mikeman45
          Intermediate

Scew them wear what you want. i get my *** busted at work all the time for having an 883, they call it a girls bike (this comes from guys who either have no bike or some honda 750) just do what you want as long as it makes you happy.

Old 05-14-2012 | 12:18 AM
          luisan
          Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          Just ignore them,these are the same idiots that say "real men don't wear lace underwear"!

Old 05-14-2012 | 12:50 PM
          longrideshields-2
          Premium Sponsor

Who cares what anyone else thinks? It's your face and your bike! : ) I'd rather be "a fake harley owner" or "not a real man" than have half my face get rubbed off on the pavement.

www.longrideshields.com

Last edited by longrideshields-2; 05-14-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?