Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010 | 07:38 PM
          AnimalRides
          Cruiser

I wear a full face every time I ride. I used to go gloveless on occasion, but then I put my hand through the taillight of a Daewoo. Gloves every time now as well. The good thing about a full face is that you can use the extra protection to head butt the dick head in the half helmet who talks **** about your lid

Old 07-28-2010 | 07:51 PM
          HarleyScuba
          Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Brett001
          What are the gloves for?

...Brett
          So when you go down, you have something to pick the scabs with. I'll wear gloves in the middle of summer - and a long sleeve shirt with fancy button-down collar so I don't get sunburned. My neck is already red enough. The buttons prevent the collar from slappin' the **** out of you in the wind. Plus, I think it's fun to wear a stodgy business shirt with a 2 foot ponytail ridin' a Harley. That's part of doin' what the hell I want!
          I have a couple FF helmets. An Arai that I find induces claustrophobia which hasn't been worn for years and a dirt bike helmet. Love my 3/4 for listening to tunes and I find I'm wearing the brain bucket less and less. Must be feeling my mortality.
          Wear what you want - but not because we say so.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 08-22-2011 at 11:19 PM.
          Old 07-28-2010 | 07:51 PM
          jeffc68
          Tourer

I wear a FF Helmet and could careless what other thinks

Old 07-28-2010 | 07:57 PM
          Apaolo
          |
          Novice

Wow I didnt think you guys would get so fired up, but its nice to see some passion on the subject. I tried the whole half helmet but just like many of you said, alot of stuff was hitting me in the face. Not to mention with my side shots the bike is deafening and the full face helps block the noise out.

My biggest problem is the perception of being a harley owner. I had some guy ask me the other day if I had any tatoos because he thought all harley guys must have tatoos or be bad assess. When I was buying the bike and walking around the show room everyone was giving me a weird look like I didnt belong. My salesman told me I was the youngest harley owner he has ever sold a bike to. Im just your run of the mill average old navy wearing 27 year old guy whos into motorsports. I love the looks of the iron and wanted something old school with a modern twist.

Mind you this same guy that told me about the full face thing also told me a 883 is a girls bike! I really cant get any respect from this guy.

Thanks for all the positive posts, its much appreciated!

Old 07-28-2010 | 08:02 PM
          exemexer
          Road Warrior

Don't worry about it. Do what YOU think is right and safe for you - screw everybody else. Now, what you think is right and safe for you now will probably change as you gain experience and become more and more comfortable as a rider. Just don't let this affect your approach to riding safely - don't become complacent or let you guard down. There's a hell of a lot of blind, distracted, no-ridin' idiots on four wheels out there. Look out for yourself cause very few others will.

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:16 PM
          TowJam
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JoeFriday77
          I must have not got that memo. I wear a Shoei X-11 FF. Most of the people I ride with are on the more safety conscious side, so you'll see all of them in FF.
          +1 on the X-11

Doesn't matter what I ride, I wearing my Shoei.

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:23 PM
          DaytonaSportster
          Tourer

Originally Posted by blippo
          And Wear a full face helmet. I don't care what anyone thinks.
          DILLIGAF

Does It Look Like I Give a Fu$&

Personally I dont as they make me claustrophobic, but if I was a daily 15mile or more one way driver I would get over it. Bug and sand don't taste good!

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:27 PM
          volks-man
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Wow I didnt think you guys would get so fired up, but its nice to see some passion on the subject. I tried the whole half helmet but just like many of you said, alot of stuff was hitting me in the face. Not to mention with my side shots the bike is deafening and the full face helps block the noise out.

My biggest problem is the perception of being a harley owner. I had some guy ask me the other day if I had any tatoos because he thought all harley guys must have tatoos or be bad assess. When I was buying the bike and walking around the show room everyone was giving me a weird look like I didnt belong. My salesman told me I was the youngest harley owner he has ever sold a bike to. Im just your run of the mill average old navy wearing 27 year old guy whos into motorsports. I love the looks of the iron and wanted something old school with a modern twist.

Mind you this same guy that told me about the full face thing also told me a 883 is a girls bike! I really cant get any respect from this guy.

Thanks for all the positive posts, its much appreciated!
          i wear a ff, armoured mesh jacket, boots, and gloves when i can stand them (gloves wreck my hands when riding). i'm new. only been riding for just over two weeks and people give me crap over wearing gear? screw them!
          it's your body and your life. people like your 'friend' have obviously been drinking the 'kool-aid'.

and about that girl's bike nonsense.......................
          i've had about enough of that too. i have been riding my cousin's springer softail a bit and that thing is a brute. if thats what it means to have a man's bike then i'll stick with the 883.

don't let them get to you. you do your own thing and be happy.

Old 07-28-2010 | 10:01 PM
          BackinBlackfxdb
          Advanced

Guaranteed that a full-face helmet looks better than a hospital gown, or a casket.

Old 07-28-2010 | 10:09 PM
          BackinBlackfxdb
          Advanced

And HD doesn't make any girls bikes, sometimes there are girls that ride them & like to dis other people's rides tho

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?