Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012 | 04:59 PM
          hincheec
          Cruiser

I was told when I was learning to ride, that you should wear the gear you need to feel safe. If that means that you wear a full face helmet, an armored jacket, orange reflective vest, and gloves, then wear it. If it means a novelty helmet to get around the helmet laws and flip flops, then wear that.

Myself, I wear a full face helmet in the winter, and wear a half helmet in the summer. Both are DOT. I wear a reflective vest on foggy summer mornings and sometimes at night. Some friends wear full faced helmets, some wear nothing. Its up to them and its up to you.

Old 02-24-2012 | 04:37 AM
          Proteus
          Road Master

I have never worn a FF helmet, because I can't stand them, feel like cramped in.

I wear a british made "G-Mac" with leather covered jet helmet with old school goggles, with some old "taliban" scarf wraped around my face. fits me good. Wearing this kind of outfit since I ride bikes, around 30 years.

Old 02-24-2012 | 10:30 AM
          WhiskeySierra
          Cruiser

As others have said, if you own a real Harley, you're a real Harley owner.

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/176553-post.html

Wear what you want to wear, ride what you want to ride. My next door neighbor thinks I'm an idiot for buying a Harley instead of an Indian. Who cares?

Old 02-24-2012 | 11:02 AM
          kurant502
          Novice

I'm new but in my opinion "real Harley owners"( whatever that means) don't care what other people think. its your ride enjoy it how ever you want as long as it doesn't endanger me or my family

and just to throw it out there i wear a ff helmet

Last edited by kurant502; 02-27-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added info i should have done originally
          Old 02-26-2012 | 09:51 PM
          DC666
          Cruiser

Glad to hear all the positive feedback for FF's. Coming from dirt biking and sport bikes, FF's were obvious. Now that I've got my first Harley I was still going to use my black Shoei, thinking I'd be the 1%er. Glad to see I'm gonna be in good company. Other than the wind, cold, and bug protection, I'll take the added safety too. Here's to "real Harley riders" everywhere.

Old 02-28-2012 | 01:36 PM
          chevys
          Novice

What is a real Harley rider? This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. I ride a sportster and use a full face Shoei by choice. I live in a state with no helmet laws and some of my buddies use no helmets on Vics, Yamahas and Hondas . Their choice. I chose to use one just in case I need it. A full face is the best choice if you really need it. Make your own choice but dont be swayed by uneducated idiots.

Old 02-28-2012 | 02:43 PM
          92oldskoolxlh
          Cruiser

damn 48 pages of replies doubt you will see this one. Wear what you want hell its your life not theirs. I go to ABATE runs and everyone takes their helmets off but I dont and I dont give a shyt its my life not theirs. If you like FF go for it for me their too warm in the summer I wear a half and a bandanna around my face it works.

Old 03-06-2012 | 05:30 PM
          chevys
          Novice

Originally Posted by 92oldskoolxlh
          damn 48 pages of replies doubt you will see this one. Wear what you want hell its your life not theirs. I go to ABATE runs and everyone takes their helmets off but I dont and I dont give a shyt its my life not theirs. If you like FF go for it for me their too warm in the summer I wear a half and a bandanna around my face it works.
          And their you have it. Do what ever you want. Its your head not mine. Im wearing my full face thank you. For me, its not an option. But do what ever you like.

Old 03-06-2012 | 05:57 PM
          IBGary
          Road Captain

I wear what I want or nothing if it feels right. What jackass started this.

Old 03-06-2012 | 11:50 PM
          11Night84
          6th Gear

Recently coming from the sportbike side of the tracks I have known a lot of people who have gone down whether it was out of their own carelessness or someone else's. I have also seen the end result of them and let me tell you the ones that were wearing gear were in a lot better shape after than the ones that weren't. I always wear a jacket and gloves and depending on the weather I will wear a half or full which are both DOT approved. The guy is a tool bag, I am sure his opinion will change once he kisses pavement.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?