Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012 | 06:22 PM
          Rickytic4445
          Novice

It's this simple, if you have a 10 cent head, wear a 10 cent helmet.

Old 02-18-2012 | 06:32 PM
          DSPORT
          Cruiser

A real harley owner is someone who has the paperwork for the bike. Doesnt matter what you look like. ...... I hate these stereotypes

Old 02-18-2012 | 09:47 PM
          Big_Redneck
          Tourer

Listen hoss....wear whats comfortable to you...I wear a 1/2 shell DOT Harley helmet when its warm, and in the rainy or cold weather I wear a full face. I could care less what other douchebags say about MY looks or choices. I care about my safety because alot of people in cars and trucks dont pay attention or look out for us bikers. So do what you want bro, personally, I want to ride for many years to come...

Old 02-19-2012 | 10:58 AM
          Stevieskull
          Advanced

There has been multiple occasions where I wished I had a full face helmet.

Old 02-19-2012 | 11:03 AM
          Tuco069
          Road Master

Wear what you want is my moto, for me it depends on the weather. I'm at the age where comfort beats out any concern of what others think I look like.

Old 02-19-2012 | 02:59 PM
          CRocks
          Road Master
          Old 02-22-2012 | 12:48 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
          New riders expect to go down, its that simple.

Although I know sooner or later I will, I do not armor-up for the fall, who knows what the situation will be.
          A lot of old riders have gone down. IF I do, I expect to get right back up. No different than wearing a seat belt.

Yes I made dual flag poles as I'm a dual citizen. Stars & bars + Israel, I fly them both.
          Thumbs up.

Originally Posted by a10182
          I got a skid lid but im thinking about getting one for the cold weather, my only problem with my buddys full face I have used a couple times is I feel like I lose my vision to the side because the helmets in the way I like my face being open feel like I can see more
          Can't speak for his helmet but that's a common misconception. Should be looking around anyway. Thick A-pillars in a car could be argued as being worse. Race car drivers and motorcycle racers don't have this issue either.

Old 02-22-2012 | 02:15 AM
          cosmicrust77
          6th Gear

I just got my Forty Eight a few weeks ago. I have been riding for a little over a year now. My first bike was a Kawasaki ER-6n. It was a 650cc sport bike.

As you can see I still have my sport leather jacket. I want to eventually get a "Harley" leather jacket, but this racing jacket provides me all the protection you could ask for in a Jacket.

I know it is not the usual "look" for a Harley rider, but it is what I have. Though I will admit that the speed hump on the back of the jacket does look a bit weird for the style bike (cant see it in the pic).

I do want to get a better helmet eventually and one that matches the bike better.

I do not mind the ff helmet as it is the only kind I have ever worn. The only issue is with the Forty Eight having low hung mirrors I have to look down because of the ff helmet more than I would like, but looking around constantly is a good thing.

So if a ff helmet breaks some kind of rules of etiquette, then my Joe Rocket red leather sport jacket has to be a outright crime.

Name:  ER6n.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  kevinwithharley.jpg
Views: 2018
Size:  42.3 KB

Attached Thumbnails Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?-er6n.jpg   Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?-kevin-with-harley.jpg  

Last edited by cosmicrust77; 02-22-2012 at 02:26 AM.
          Old 02-22-2012 | 03:37 PM
          chrisangie
          Road Captain

I wear FF everytime i get on the bike. Thats just me i dont care what anyone else wears its there head.

Old 02-22-2012 | 04:06 PM
          Swansea Jack
          Cruiser

It's a tough call. I know I should wear full face. I know I prefer open face and 'cool' gear when it's warm enough. Trouble is Harleys cry out for that 'movie' look. Makes no sense but a lot of us on here fall for it! Harleys in the UK take quite a bit of stick from non HD riders so it's very tempting to live the dream. Real Harley owners don't wear full face - my guess is only about 20% do......how about a vote?

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?