Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012 | 11:37 PM
          StLSpringer
          Tourer

Hey man, YOU bought the bike you like, YOU made the mods to make the bike look like YOU want and YOU do what YOU have to do to protect yourself and ride for a long time.
          I have been down twice, neither were controllable by me, it happens in a split second and you need to be protected, period. I never ride without a jacket with armor and Bohn Armor protection under my jeans.. for a helmet, I wear a Fulmer V2 with a clear or smoked bubble shield, I am a little old school but still want to be protected. Listen to yourself not the RUB's who think they know what is cool. Surviving the crash is cooler than anything...

Enjoy your new bike and ride safe

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?

Old 02-17-2012 | 11:51 PM
          krs1
          Advanced

Holy-****! This is truly the worst thread I've ever seen.

Old 02-17-2012 | 11:59 PM
          Harleybar7
          Cruiser

Tell em to kiss off. I wear A 1/2 helmet and I got caught in A real nasty storm A few years back, stopped at the first bike shop I could find for A full face to keep the hail out of my face.

Old 02-18-2012 | 03:17 AM
          DavidStiebel
          Road Warrior
          Post What the hell...

Originally Posted by warrick
          The helmets and gear they make these days are are fantastic, compared to days of old.

I always wear helmet, boots gloves, but recently added some nice low profile under clothes body protection.

For less than $200, I got stealth CE elbow sleeves (fit under any normal hoody), CE lo-pro full back protector and some padded shorts (hips, tailbone).

Is is light, comfortable and breathes well. You can't barely tell I am even wearing armor under my hoody.

Going down would not be fun with full protection, less so with none.

It's your life, make your choice...
          I've asked the question (helments-whats-your-preference-and-why?)
          and my question is answered here.

New riders expect to go down, its that simple.

Although I know sooner or later I will, I do not armor-up for the fall, who knows what the situation will be.
          I also do not ride my bike like I stole it.
          I ride as you see me in my pics, t-shirt, jeans & boots, if its cold my jacket or full body suit.

I do not, nor will I ever 'dress up' to go on a ride. The most I do to look cool is raise the flags. Yes I made dual flag poles as I'm a dual citizen. Stars & bars + Israel, I fly them both.

IMO: The guys that dress up need help, what are you afraid of? I think you don't know you have to ride agressively defensive, look out for the other guy and get away from him.

Old 02-18-2012 | 09:17 AM
          a10182
          Road Captain

I got a skid lid but im thinking about getting one for the cold weather, my only problem with my buddys full face I have used a couple times is I feel like I lose my vision to the side because the helmets in the way I like my face being open feel like I can see more

Old 02-18-2012 | 09:57 AM
          fixedmlc
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          Whoever told you that is an idiot.

If you don't like things hitting your face, like bugs, gravel, etc... wear the full face. If you don't like being cold, if it's someplace/some time cold, wear a full face. If you don't like the sting of rain on your face...you know the drill.

Old 02-18-2012 | 10:27 AM
          Wakko47
          Road Warrior

I wear the full gamut gear, including a full face when I ride solo or a 3/4 when I ride with the wife. I don't care what people think.

Old 02-18-2012 | 11:29 AM
          Shadow_otw
          Tourer

I wear a full face modular, and leather. Chaps when its freakin cold...but, once this summer whe a rock hit my leg, I wished that I had my chaps then and I was glad I had my full face on.

Old 02-18-2012 | 05:44 PM
          MattInFla
          Road Master

"Real" Harley riders don't get all wrapped around the axle about what other people wear when they ride...

Old 02-18-2012 | 05:53 PM
          Shredding rubber
          Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MattInFla
          "Real" Harley riders don't get all wrapped around the axle about what other people wear when they ride...
          Exactly. It's not a fashion show. A biker doesn't really care what anyone else thinks. Ya wanna wear gloves and no shirt,go ahead. Ya wanna ride ATGATT go ahead. You wanna ride....... Getting the picture.
          It's your life. We are allowed some freedom of choice as to what we have to wear while riding,your life,your choice

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?