Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011 | 10:02 PM
          tom071200c
          Road Master

IMO I don't care what people wear, so I never comment on it. Just like wearing a seat belt in a car, its not hurting anyone but that person so whatever...

Rode to Milwaukee for the 105th with 13 or 15 other bikes and had my full face on the whole time even in the hot weather. Got a couple comments but just brushed them off. I was the only Sporty too which offered its own ragging let alone the full face.

I ride 90% of the time with a half Fulmer DOT. I like it and feel it offers okay protection in the event of a crash. I do wear a full face Fulmer for cold rides or long rides where wind noise and elements may be a problem. I have low sided my bike before wearing the half helmet and hit my chin on the asphalt. It was sore and badly scraped but I survived and it didn't scare me into wearing a full face all the time.

Last edited by tom071200c; 09-17-2011 at 10:05 PM.
          Old 09-17-2011 | 10:09 PM
          terryrh
          Elite HDF Member

What I wear for trips for wind/exhaust noise

Old 09-17-2011 | 10:13 PM
          markimus
          Intermediate

I wear a 3/4 helmet at this point and have tried the half shell and nearly had it choke me out at freeway speeds, but I definitely grew up wearing the full face helmet. After you bounce your nugget off of the asphalt once or twice because of hitting debris or ice you will certainly be able to confidently let people know that you don't care what they think about your riding decorum since you will still have a functional nervous system that can reason and allow you to salute with one finger. Cheers

Old 09-17-2011 | 10:33 PM
          Sanyasi
          Advanced

I've seen this question before in the XL forum. A buddy of mine says there are two types of riders----those that have gone down and those that will. I ride with a full face and leave the face shield off and slide down the visor, the lower jaw protector is there. . The important thing is to protect your body!!!
          How cool is it to have your face sandpapered off. Don't worry about it, they can do amazing things with skin grafts and reconstructive surgery.
          I just rode the Cascade loop in Washington State last month and then 2000kms. thru central B.C. I wore my leather jacket, spine protector,leg guards ,boots and hip padding. It was 91 egrees out.
          I don't give a damn what people say and in reallity nobody ever has said anything to me what I ride or the way I dress.
          Google motorcycle injuries, take note of the white crosses at the side of the road and then make up your own mind.

Old 09-18-2011 | 08:04 PM
          Strgzr
          Tourer
          Talking

Originally Posted by terryrh

What I wear for trips for wind/exhaust noise
          Plus one on this. Wind noise on the open ear helmets is too much to handle. 3/4 works pretty good now. Also, I have and use several full face helmets. Could care less what anyone thinks. Been on top of my head sliding along on asphalt. Didnt feel a thing. Ruined a helmet and jacket though...

Old 09-18-2011 | 08:40 PM
          Pagan48
          Road Warrior

I say, Anybody disrespects you for your personal choices - wear steel toed boots. Kick em in the nuts!! LOL

Old 09-19-2011 | 09:45 AM
          NDBadlands4-2
          Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pagan48
          I say, Anybody disrespects you for your personal choices - wear steel toed boots. Kick em in the nuts!! LOL
          Best advice ever. You could also head but them with your full face helmet on!

Old 09-19-2011 | 09:50 AM
          dparker747
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Doc4545
          Tell who ever said that to kiss your ***. I take turns between a ff Scorpion 700 & Fulmer V2 3/4. I've been riding for over 40 years, first Hd was a '69 XLCH I bought in 1977, later on a I picked up a '64 Duo Glide, currently riding a '06 XL1200R, hope to be on a Fat Bob sooner rather than later. I will continue to wear a ff, don't really care what others think or say.

Of course I may not be real.

I always wear a full face helmet...learned my lesson the hard way.

Old 09-19-2011 | 09:53 AM
          mrjimbo
          Tourer

I have a 1/2, 3/4 and a SHark Modular(FF when I want it to be) do you care what people think?

Old 09-19-2011 | 02:29 PM
          reclaimer53
          Tourer

I live in a state with no mandatory helmet laws for licensed riders over 18.

I like that fact I have a choice. My choice is to wear a helmet, FF most of the time.
          But the occasional ride with out it really does feel great.

It feels good to have a choice

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?