Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011 | 09:23 PM
          Dunkin
          6th Gear

Been riding a while and I ride for me not others. I wear gear because I don't want to be an organ donor and my kids need a dad. I guess I am not a 'real' rider.

Old 09-10-2011 | 11:44 PM
          eric_sfo
          Intermediate

I am new rider as well and started with a half helmet. That thing was not comfortable about about 50 mph. I went with a 3/4 and like it much better. The 3/4 looks bit odd on me but whatever. Also winter is coming soon in Kansas and I am considering a full just so I dont freeze on my 30 minute ride to work.

Old 09-10-2011 | 11:51 PM
          seiler1
          Intermediate

Ask Gary Bucey. He suffered brain damage from not wearing a helmet. Not wearing a safe helmet is as bad as not wearing one at all. I ride full face and don't care what anyone thinks.

Old 09-11-2011 | 09:30 AM
          Saphira
          Tourer

Real Harley Riders make a personal choice to wear or not wear a helmet. If you have something to protect wear one. If not don't. I wear all the gear all of the time which includes a jacket. There are mesh jackets with armor which provides plenty of air. There are mesh gloves as well. If you really do not want to wear a jacket there are companies out there that make armor which can be worn under your favorite t-shirt. Safety should be the first consideration for all of us "real' Harley riders. Keep the rubber side down.

Old 09-11-2011 | 01:58 PM
          Swansea Jack
          Cruiser

Riding a motorcycle is risky - don't be fooled into thinking you are safe if you wear a full face , you are just safer. I wear an open face (with visor) around town and in summer most places, I know it's not so safe but I also tend to ride slower and take fewer risks so maybe a full face could be more dangerous! I do like the cool look of open face with shades - goes with the feet forward thing. If I mess up I've only got me to blame. In winter or on motorways or on messy roads I wear all the gear, especially when there's only sheep to pose to! On the 883R full face doesn't look so bad anyhow.

Old 09-11-2011 | 02:33 PM
          stytches
          Advanced

I am going to be honest, once I bought my Harley I instantly wanted to a non FF helm.

Call me a poser or whatever this forum dubs the term, but I went from a FF that I wore with my sports bike to a turtle shell with my Harley...

Why?

I LOVE the feeling of the wind in my face. Sure, bugs and other crap hit you in the face, but there is nothing like the cool air whipping against your face at 60+ mph to let you know that you are alive and riding an awesome piece of machinery that cagers glare over in awe at.

Old 09-11-2011 | 03:52 PM
          terryrh
          Elite HDF Member

People talk about me cuz I love my windshield. "If you want a windshield just get in the car". Eff em I say. I do what a want!

Old 09-11-2011 | 09:21 PM
          JohnJohnson
          Cruiser

so.. in addition to my first response, didn't think about this at the time. My hearing!!! through years of stupidity, loud car stereos, playing guitar through a loud amp, etc my hearing has taken a beating, I'm now older and want to save my hearing, I realize it won't come back, but I'm gonna save what I can. full face helmets seem to protect a bit of that (I'm now combining it with ear plugs also) I'm willing to do that to save my hearing and not spend my life going "huh".

I didn't realize that modular helmets were inferior, I'm liking them because I don't have to fight with my glasses though. As of last week the front part of my HD modular helmet came flying off, so I'm looking at new ones, maybe I won't go modular this time.

Old 09-12-2011 | 03:02 AM
          grbrown
          Club Member

Originally Posted by JohnJohnson
          so.. in addition to my first response, didn't think about this at the time. My hearing!!! through years of stupidity, loud car stereos, playing guitar through a loud amp, etc my hearing has taken a beating, I'm now older and want to save my hearing, I realize it won't come back, but I'm gonna save what I can. full face helmets seem to protect a bit of that (I'm now combining it with ear plugs also) I'm willing to do that to save my hearing and not spend my life going "huh".
          Wise man! I've been wearing ear plugs on my bike, in the car and on planes since the 70s. Best tuning aid known to mankind! One of the US bike mags ran a lengthy article about the dangers of noise to bike riders and the basis of that research hasn't changed since, nor their advice to wear earplugs.

I only despair that the danger is not passed on to every new rider.

Old 09-12-2011 | 01:12 PM
          Certainteed
          Outstanding HDF Member

mushroom heads

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?