Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011 | 11:11 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
          There was a very comprehensive article published on this subject several years ago. The essence of it is that some helmet standards (such as Snell) require a strength in the helmet that is so high that the energy levels the rest of a rider's body is likely to suffer will kill him.

Younger riders can endure greater levels of injury than older riders. As we get older, having a high spec helmet is pointless, as we are less able to survive serious injuries to the rest of our bodies.

I suppose a high spec helmet will ensure we can be identified in the morgue, so it is not all gloomy news....
          You could argue that for DOT as well. It is only valid if the rest of the body receives the same level of impact. Being that all accidents are different, the body is flexible, the head can receive an entirely different impact than the body.

I also find it quite telling there are no modular helmets, that I know of, that earn a SNELL rating.

Old 09-06-2011 | 11:11 AM
          warrick
          Banned

The main difference for Snell M2010, is that it is slightly less impact protection than Snell 2005, yet more impact protection than DOT. Snell M2010 however is better at disipating energy through out the shell and less g-forces generated than any of the others, DOT, ECE 22-05, or Snell 2005.

Old 09-06-2011 | 12:49 PM
          fat_tony
          Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by warrick
          The main difference for Snell M2010, is that it is slightly less impact protection than Snell 2005, yet more impact protection than DOT. Snell M2010 however is better at disipating energy through out the shell and less g-forces generated than any of the others, DOT, ECE 22-05, or Snell 2005.
          Snell M2010 has less ultimate puncture resistance than Snell M2010 because of slightly softer, more impact energy absorbing shell. Probably a better trade off in the real world. Lots written on this subject to google. IMO ECE 22.05 is just as good as Snell M2010 and both are better than Snell M2005. If the sticker on the helmet says Snell but not Snell M2010 it is a Snell M2005 helmet.

Last edited by fat_tony; 09-06-2011 at 12:51 PM.
          Old 09-06-2011 | 07:47 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by fat_tony
          Snell M2010 has less ultimate puncture resistance than Snell M2010 because of slightly softer, more impact energy absorbing shell. Probably a better trade off in the real world. Lots written on this subject to google. IMO ECE 22.05 is just as good as Snell M2010 and both are better than Snell M2005. If the sticker on the helmet says Snell but not Snell M2010 it is a Snell M2005 helmet.
          It's the sticker inside that is official. I don't believe M2010 is required on the outer shell, that is probably optional.

Old 09-06-2011 | 08:11 PM
          warrick
          Banned

Here is a small exert from an article on web bike world:

The Snell 2010 Standard - Summary
          Remember that motorcycle helmets must also meet local requirements (DOT in U.S.A., ECE 22-05 in Europe and the UK, etc.).
          The differences for European motorcyclists is that the Snell 2010 standard requires more impact management than ECE 22-05 and lower G force transmission for sizes 60 cm and up.
          Differences for North American motorcyclists include lower G forces transmitted but less impact management than Snell 2005 for sizes 59 cm and less. Snell 2010 still provides more impact management than the DOT standard, however.

Old 09-08-2011 | 12:10 AM
          capitalist_slave
          Road Warrior
          Old 09-08-2011 | 12:18 AM
          catmanphill
          Novice

I wear a Shoei ff and love it. Excellent on long rides. All my friends wear half helmets, but good ones, but they also take time every start up to put ear plugs in. The ff is quiet and comfy. I did buy a Harley half this summer with our 100 degree weather in KC, and it was nice, but now the weather is getting cooler and I am back to my Shoei. Be safe, be smart, the only *****'s out there are the ones driving cars on a nice Summer night.

Old 09-08-2011 | 12:46 AM
          capitalist_slave
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by catmanphill
          I wear a Shoei ff and love it. Excellent on long rides. All my friends wear half helmets, but good ones, but they also take time every start up to put ear plugs in. The ff is quiet and comfy. I did buy a Harley half this summer with our 100 degree weather in KC, and it was nice, but now the weather is getting cooler and I am back to my Shoei. Be safe, be smart, the only *****'s out there are the ones driving cars on a nice Summer night.
          +1 on the SHOEI, great helmet. RF-1100 in flat black

Old 09-08-2011 | 06:52 PM
          Blackfly
          Road Master

Sorry if this has been said, but I don't have the time or money to try lots of helmets in the field, so to speak, but when I went to the harley dealer thinking I would buy a full face, the ones I tried limited my vision so much It scared me standing next to the sales girl , who I could'nt see, and that's why I wear a 3/4 or whatever you call it.
          If I can't see, the helmet is going to force a test I don't want to take.

Old 09-08-2011 | 07:03 PM
          Blackfly
          Road Master

P.S. My fourth day with my Dyna wide glide, (my first bike) I had to get back to work from Connecticut, which meant a 120 mile ride in the rain (steady, heavy or pouring all the way) on big highways, the Whitestone bridge, etc. and my helmet never fogged up except when I stopped for fuel and did'nt lift the screen right away. An added benifit was I could drink the rain while I was riding so I did'nt get dehydrated.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?