Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011 | 08:41 AM
          Gage2502
          Novice

Dont worry about what others think, that's with everything in life.
          ~Gage~

Old 09-05-2011 | 09:28 AM
          CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
          Road Master
          Cool FF= be as safe as possible

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          Not seen this posted lately, Have you had your wreck yet? Only one answer, YES or NO ! Dress for the slide, not the ride, because you never know when it be comin'.

Old 09-05-2011 | 09:30 AM
          LuckyIrish7
          Advanced

Your a real person. You ride a real Harley. You wear a full face helmet. So I guess real Harley riders do wear them.

Old 09-06-2011 | 01:48 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
          An interesting read that contains some info on DOT vs. Snell. I think it originally came out in 2008, influencing the adjustment of Snell in 2010:
          http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf
          or
          http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=1022077
          There's more, these are just two examples. I'm comfortable with a DOT rated lid for street riding but everyone has to make their own decisions.
          The first link didn't work for me. The second one gave no reason why there is a disadvantage to a SNELL vs. a DOT.

Old 09-06-2011 | 05:52 AM
          Timmy B
          Outstanding HDF Member
          From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

I wear a dot aproved and I dont care what people say.

Old 09-06-2011 | 09:04 AM
          CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
          Road Master

I mentioned here my FF didn't have DOT sticker and bought it at H-D store with their logo painted on it. No DOT visible inside or out. I have read somewhere FF are not required to have DOT logo on them. If so, seems odd.

Old 09-06-2011 | 10:04 AM
          HarleyScuba
          Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          The first link didn't work for me. The second one gave no reason why there is a disadvantage to a SNELL vs. a DOT.
          The first link is supposed to go to a copy of the Motorcyclists magazine article. It appears that soon after it's posted, it gets taken down because of copyright complaints. Arai and Shoei were a little dismayed by the article and threatened to pull advertising. I'm not mad at them for that. It's all about the money.
          The article is called "Blowing The Lid Off". If you search around, you might find a copy. I just tried a quick Google and it didn't turn up in the first page, but there's a lot of discussion about it on various forums. Reading the article made me stop and think because I've always assumed Snell was best. Basically, it accuses Snell of being too hard for the typical street accident and transfers too much energy to the skull. Here's another article that touches on that:
          http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/au...er=rss&emc=rss
          I think the second link alludes to Snell being too tough. I guess it's main point being that any helmet with a sticker is better than none. I have one of each. A Snell Arai, a couple DOT 3/4, and a beenie. I were the 3/4 helmets most of the time. I'm not scared of the Snell helmet, I just don't prefer a FF at this time.

Old 09-06-2011 | 10:14 AM
          parabellum_9x19
          Outstanding HDF Member

The first link is supposed to go to a copy of the Motorcyclists magazine article. It appears that soon after it's posted, it gets taken down because of copyright complaints. Arai and Shoei were a little dismayed by the article and threatened to pull advertising. I'm not mad at them for that. It's all about the money.
          The article is called "Blowing The Lid Off". If you search around, you might find a copy. I just tried a quick Google and it didn't turn up in the first page, but there's a lot of discussion about it on various forums. Reading the article made me stop and think because I've always assumed Snell was best. Basically, it accuses Snell of being too hard for the typical street accident and transfers too much energy to the skull. Here's another article that touches on that:
          I think the second link alludes to Snell being too tough. I guess it's main point being that any helmet with a sticker is better than none. I have one of each. A Snell Arai, a couple DOT 3/4, and a beenie. I were the 3/4 helmets most of the time. I'm not scared of the Snell helmet, I just don't prefer a FF at this time.
          Yeah I have heard the "snell is too hard" argument. I suppose it could have merit, but the one time I went down, I smacked my head *really* hard against the pavement (it was an instant lowside while leaned over in a turn, hit some gravel I didn't see) in a SNELL helmet and personally, I thought the helmet had just the right amount of protection.

It rang my bell a bit, bu I wasn't concussed at all, I didn't even have a headache after.

Old 09-06-2011 | 10:37 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

I remember that, it actually applied to the smaller size helmets being too hard. The solution is just getting an M2010. DOT is more of a gamble.

Old 09-06-2011 | 10:58 AM
          grbrown
          Club Member

There was a very comprehensive article published on this subject several years ago. The essence of it is that some helmet standards (such as Snell) require a strength in the helmet that is so high that the energy levels the rest of a rider's body is likely to suffer will kill him.

Younger riders can endure greater levels of injury than older riders. As we get older, having a high spec helmet is pointless, as we are less able to survive serious injuries to the rest of our bodies.

I suppose a high spec helmet will ensure we can be identified in the morgue, so it is not all gloomy news....

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?