Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011 | 03:51 PM
          terryrh
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          The Shoei X-12 with SNELL M2010 rating has a EMT-assist feature that has an inflatable bladder that assists in helmet removal.
          That is an amazing thing...came out a few years ago. I said if I ever do get another FF it WILL have that

Old 09-03-2011 | 04:08 PM
          aklim156581
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Stiggy
          I do not want Emergency personnel to find me unconscious, (and maybe not breathing,) and yank the helmet off before establishing that my neck is not broken.
          I'll ask my wife if you want but I think that in TNCC training, they do mention that they would rather not have amateurs (which the EMT are NOT) move people unless they have to because there are procedures and it isn't simply YANK. You can do more harm than good. I believe they have procedures to stabilize the neck before they YANK, assuming they do.

Old 09-03-2011 | 05:02 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stiggy
          Thanks Deuuuce, I didn't know that, and frankly I hadn't considered the Snell ratings on them. I would assume however that 'Modular' Helmets have to provide more protection than my 3/4 and half helmets I currently use.
          You could certainly argue a chin shield in the modular is better than nothing, but the helmet itself is only DOT, none I know of pass SNELL.

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
          Just some info on DOT vs SNELL.

A dot rating means less than nothing. Essentially, DOT ratings are given out by request, and then a random sample of helmets is selected for DOT testing. What this means is that your average make/model of DOT helmet has NEVER been tested at all. You can look this up, its all public info.

SNELL is a better certification because every model that bears the SNELL testing label has actually been tested by a lab and certified to meet the SNELL impact spec.

That is why I'll only wear SNELL helmets.
          +1. GET THIS:

When going to the local dragstrip (Infineon in NorCal) or any other, and I think NHRA rules, if your car runs 13.99 or faster, a fairly recent SNELL helmet is REQUIRED. DOT doesn't cut it. Bikes, same thing. If I'm not mistaken, a M2000 Snell is too old now, has to be M2005 or M2010.

In ANY race series, it must be SNELL or FIA. DOT isn't sufficient.

Originally Posted by aklim
          I'll ask my wife if you want but I think that in TNCC training, they do mention that they would rather not have amateurs (which the EMT are NOT) move people unless they have to because there are procedures and it isn't simply YANK. You can do more harm than good. I believe they have procedures to stabilize the neck before they YANK, assuming they do.
          Even high-school level personnel on the scene of H.S. football games know this too.

Old 09-03-2011 | 09:01 PM
          HarleyScuba
          Grand HDF Member

An interesting read that contains some info on DOT vs. Snell. I think it originally came out in 2008, influencing the adjustment of Snell in 2010:
          http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf
          or
          http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=1022077
          There's more, these are just two examples. I'm comfortable with a DOT rated lid for street riding but everyone has to make their own decisions.

Old 09-04-2011 | 03:41 PM
          fat_tony
          Ultimate HDF Member

DOT is self tested. The manufacturer simply states their helmet will pass the DOT requirements. DOT does do random followup testing though to ensure manufacturers are not lying but they do not test every size of every model. Snell does as does Sharp and I believe ECE. This is not to say all DOT helmets are inferior, just that the DOT standards are less demanding

Also like any helmet standard the DOT standard has undergone revisions and improvements every few years as more is known about head injuries and more research is done. The DOT standard of today specifies a much safer helmet than say the DOT standard of the 1970's. In a legal loop hole many manufacturers of 1/2 helmets are stamping their helmets DOT approved because they meet the much less demanding DOT requirements from the 1970's but do not the meet the current DOT requirements. Starting in 2012 all helmets must have the version of the DOT requirements the helmet adheres to stamped on the outside of the helmet under the DOT logo.

Old 09-05-2011 | 07:02 AM
          oldncrzy
          Road Master

I was thinking about this the other day when I was riding in the sudden downpour. I was miles from home and wearing my full face helmet. I prefer my 1/2 helmet but I am tired of my face taking the rain/bugs full on. On the way home we went through a heavily wooded area. The dragon fly's were everywhere and I was glad to have my full helmet. I wear what I want either the half or the full, depending how I feel that day.

Old 09-05-2011 | 07:14 AM
          2011Deluxe
          Banned

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          Pretty much yes I would think.

Old 09-05-2011 | 07:16 AM
          ironman2011
          Road Captain

Wear what ever you want, don't worry about what any one else says. I guess that goes out to the clown that wears flip flops and a tank top as well.

Old 09-05-2011 | 07:51 AM
          Serge
          Stage II

It's been about 30 years I've been riding (5th Hog, 2nd FLHTCU), and as far as I remember, no one ever told me how to dress, or been joking about whatever helmet I had on my head.
          I ususally ride my tourer with an open face 1/2 helmet, but obviously full face does offer the best protection, and I would certainly approve of anyone having a full face helmet if he/she feels comfortable with it.
          Alternative is Schuberth J1 open face 3/4 with chin bar...
          If we leave it to the others to decide how we ride, we may all wear full metal combi very soon...
          Ride free and stay safe !

Attached Thumbnails Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?-full_metal_jacket.jpg   Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?-uni_silber.jpg  
          Old 09-05-2011 | 08:19 AM
          ACDavis
          Advanced

Just finished up a 2,800 mile trip thru West Virginia, Northern Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee driving a lot on the BRP, but not exclusively. Anyway, the group of us got caught in some rain in the mountains for an hour at a time that felt like someone was pouring buckets on your head, and made 5pm look black as midnight. For the trip I brought both my half helmet and full face helmet. It was very nice to have the full face for this kind of rain. We did not have the luxury of pulling over for a few hours to wait the storm out. The full face allowed me to focus on seeing the road, others in the group, and other vehicles. If your guy would have told me that "real Harley owners don't wear FF helmets" I would have laughed in his face. Also, it was nice to have the full face on the way home for the 12+ hours on I-75.

There is no substitute for having the right gear. Bottom line is that it's your as* on the bike. Do what you want and don't listen to others. I think you'll see that the Harley owners actually take joy in doing things that others have issues with.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?