Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011 | 07:50 PM
          montelatici
          Cruiser

I bought my first modular helmet two months ago. They are quite a nice helmet. Full face when you want it and you can lift the lower part and it becomes a 3/4 with a drop down shield when you are around town.

Old 08-29-2011 | 10:03 PM
          Graybeard47
          Intermediate
          Default Full Face Helmets

Tell the Bandidos that, seen many of them ride with full face helmets. If people don't like it, screw'm!

The following users liked this post:
          planoppl (06-10-2021)
          Old 08-29-2011 | 10:28 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by montelatici
          I bought my first modular helmet two months ago. They are quite a nice helmet. Full face when you want it and you can lift the lower part and it becomes a 3/4 with a drop down shield when you are around town.
          I like the idea of modulars alot, I'm just waiting for them to pass SNELL. I'm curious to see when that will be possible. Maybe with carbon fiber?

Old 08-29-2011 | 10:52 PM
          capitalist_slave
          Road Warrior
          Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          ...and lemme guess, "someone" was probably riding/hiding behind a windshield on his bike.
          Wear what you want to wear and what makes YOU most comfortable when riding. Wearing what someone else thinks you should be wearing is the douchey thing to do.

Personally, i can't stand riding a bike with a windshield, some love them.
          I have friends that wear nothing but sunglasses when riding... their choice... I wear a flat black SHOEI RF 1100, great helmet. Even if i do get the occasional 'Darth Vader' comment sometimes; i think it looks way cooler than the Harley-Davidson-styling-consultant-approved Mushroom 1/2's and the Hipster 3/4 novelty lids that Cycle Source has brainwashed everyone into wearing.

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
          Due to your limited vision you may not see that cager on the phone, and you might not hear it until your airborne.

Ever thought of that?
          I've tried many different goggles and riding glasses... they all create a blind spot.
          Wearing a full face helmet eliminates these blind spots and protects my eyes from bugs and rocks.

Think again.

Last edited by capitalist_slave; 08-29-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: additional quote
          Old 08-29-2011 | 11:33 PM
          truckerdave
          senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise

Originally Posted by Graybeard47
          Tell the Bandidos that, seen many of them ride with full face helmets. If people don't like it, screw'm!
          There's a reason for that. Getting hit in the face with assorted road objects at 85 MPH hurts, not to mention if you go down you might live to see another day. To quote Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Screw you, we're from Texas".

Old 08-30-2011 | 12:12 AM
          ezmo
          Cruiser

Everyone goes as they wanna go. No one should blame anyone with their way of expressing or protecting themselves on a Harley

I do it with open helmet and on casuals.

Old 08-30-2011 | 01:40 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by capitalist_slave
          Cycle Source has brainwashed everyone into wearing.
          And then there is Cycle Gear selling $99 FF helmets, DOT only, of course.

I've tried many different goggles and riding glasses... they all create a blind spot.
          Wearing a full face helmet eliminates these blind spots and protects my eyes from bugs and rocks.
          I always wear glasses with my helmet and ride faceshield up many times. There are far less blind spots with glasses on a bike than there are sitting in car. A good pair of semi-wrap glasses will have minimal blind spots.

Old 08-30-2011 | 02:01 PM
          Dan2002
          1st Gear
          Default Take a true Sonny Barger attitude about it.

"Who gives a fuc#$$%^ what you think, dumb ***? I wear a full face helmet, and found one put out by Scorpion that I love, with an evil clown on it, and found another one, an Evel Kneivel tribute helmet (Full face) that I want to also purchase. I feel safer and better with a full face, gloves, leather jacket, and pants and boots. I have seen an idiot on a Harley with a pair of shorts and flip flops, no gloves, helmet, only sunglasses, and if he goes down, he needs to remember that if he loses over 27% of his skin, he will probably die before the ambulance arrives.

Old 08-30-2011 | 07:11 PM
          chamba
          Road Master

Check out this talent in Austin TX.

Old 08-30-2011 | 07:49 PM
          montelatici
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          I like the idea of modulars alot, I'm just waiting for them to pass SNELL. I'm curious to see when that will be possible. Maybe with carbon fiber?
          The modulars I bought, are both CE tested which is stricter than Snell.

CE testing includes 6 impact points tests and more importantly batch-testing which is a very big difference with independent/paid-for test ratings like SNELL.

In late 2009, SNELL came out with the new SNELL M2010 rating which is a tremendous improvement on the previous M2005 and comes closer to the CE specifications as far a max allowed G impact to the brain, but still only just for the smaller size helmets.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?