Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011 | 10:05 AM
          cameraboy
          Outstanding HDF Member

as pointed out, in a car the driver is strapped in and ONLY the head can move.

When you get hit on a bike, you fly off. There isn't the same whiplash forces at play.

Old 08-24-2011 | 10:21 AM
          LuckyMayhem
          Intermediate

If I am just going around town I do a 3/4, but on the highway I take my full face. I'm in Missouri where they mandate helmet use, but across the state line in Kansas they do not. I don't see that many people riding w/o them anymore really.

Old 08-28-2011 | 06:18 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

means you put up with your blind spots. You and other are willing to exchange less hearing and sight for an open casket and the false sense of security.

I raced until they required FF helmets. When my front tire blew at 135mph, the weight on my bucket smacked my chin into the pavement, and shattered the helmet, imbedding pieces of the helmet into my face.

Not only have I tired them, my wife wears a Scorpion Evo. Which Ive worn twice, and could not handle the lack to situation awareness.
          Where is the capitol WRONG *there it is*.. First of all my periphial vision is the same with a quality modern FF helmet on or without it. Do you know how to check periphial depth with your hand? Your periphial vision is not affected at all. Where is the frontal blind spot the gas tank? Oh i can't see my chin without a helmet

At any speed over 35mph without a helmet and ear plugs is deafening. So you wear ear plugs to save your hearing. I can hear better at speeds under 35mph than a helmetless rider with ear plugs can yet i don't have to wear ear plugs with a FF helmet at 70mph. SO another null argument. Modern helmets weight a couple lbs. My HJC is lighter then my Scorpion EXO half which i never wear.

Had you not had the helmet on at 135mph you wouldn't be able to come here and argue the very piece of safety equipment that allowed you to do just that. There is really no valid argument when it comes to why not wear when it comes to safety and comfort The majority of helmetless riders that you see are on Harley's. In Ohio it's fair to say that i probably see less then 1 helmet per 100 HD riders i pass on the road and 9-10 bikes around here are HD's.

Sorry but i can give you 10 good reasons why to wear and not a single one when it comes to not wearing and that is the reason i always wear a FF.

Old 08-28-2011 | 06:25 PM
          JohnJohnson
          Cruiser

someone once told me if you have 50 dollars worth of brain, buy a 50 dollar helmet to protect it. I kind of saw the reasoning in that.

there are times that I don't wear a helmet and that's my choice, there are guys that don't wear a helmet and that's their choice, I'm totally good with that.

where I live the deer are all over, I figure a helmet is a good option against bambi, and more than that, I'd hate to have my face scraped off so I wear a full face helmet. Don't worry about anyone else dude, do your thing, that's what this is about!

besides that a helmet doubles as a weapon when someone runs into you

Old 08-28-2011 | 08:32 PM
          aklim156581
          Road Master

Originally Posted by JohnJohnson
          someone once told me if you have 50 dollars worth of brain, buy a 50 dollar helmet to protect it. I kind of saw the reasoning in that.
          Sometimes my wife thinks my brain isn't worth $0.50

Old 08-28-2011 | 08:46 PM
          JohnJohnson
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by aklim
          Sometimes my wife thinks my brain isn't worth $0.50
          lol, when you are drooling and mumbling it'll cost her more than that to get rid of you! LMAO!!!

and I actually work with a guy that was in an accident on his bike, he'd stopped to give someone a hand, he's pretty f'd up now. Talking to him and looking at his photo alblum he was a pretty smart bike guy!

Last edited by JohnJohnson; 08-28-2011 at 08:48 PM.
          Old 08-28-2011 | 10:16 PM
          traveler
          Seasoned HDF Member

The other plus...is that only a man who is comfortable with who he is, will do it. The sheep will keep on trying to fit in.

Do what you are comfotable with, and quit worrying about if the other guys like it or not.

When they start paying my bills, then they get a say in what I do.

~Joe

Old 08-28-2011 | 10:24 PM
          bloodhoundx7
          Intermediate

I ride with and without. Below 45 oh yes! If you feel better with a helmet wear it. Screw what others dictate to be righteous.

Old 08-29-2011 | 02:35 AM
          Sol_Invictus
          Novice

I ride with a full face anytime I'm above 35 or for longer trips. My commute to work is 1/2 hour each way, and I wear my full face. There isn't a single good reason not to wear one...as others have pointed out, peripherals are fine and I can hear better in my full face at speeds above 50 than I can if I wore my half and ear plugs....

Old 08-29-2011 | 07:42 PM
          fat_tony
          Ultimate HDF Member

I made a long highway trip this past weekend passing through lots of rain and the tail end of Irene. Saw lots of bikers on the highway trying to ride through the heavy rain. Not one was wearing a FF helmet, they looked miserable trying to shield their faces with soggy bandanas and keep the rain off their goggles/glasses. From my own experience riding in a FF helmet in heavy rain is effortless and vastly more comfortable. With a little Rain-X on the outside and anti fog spray on the inside of the shield, rain rolls off at speed keeping the shield clear. IMO the key to comfort in a FF helmet is get a good one that fits well and vents effectively, a lot of cheap FF helmet do not vent that well. Buffeting and wind noise on the highway with a 1/2 helmet is a real fun killer.

Last edited by fat_tony; 08-29-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?