Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011 | 09:40 AM
          parabellum_9x19
          Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
          Due to your limited vision you may not see that cager on the phone, and you might not hear it until your airborne.

Ever thought of that?
          I have to disagree.

A properly designed FF helmet does not limit your peripheral at all, cuts down on wind noise, and keeps the wind out of your eyes.

Even on a 3/4 helmet, at highway speeds, my eyes water like crazy, and then I really AM blind.

With a well made FF helmet, my eyes don't water at all, allowing me to see more.

Old 08-23-2011 | 09:45 AM
          fixedmlc
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          Wear whatever you want and please stop worrying about what others think of you. It will keep your stress level lower.

Old 08-23-2011 | 09:57 AM
          cameraboy
          Outstanding HDF Member

A properly designed FF helmet does not limit your peripheral at all, cuts down on wind noise, and keeps the wind out of your eyes.
          Good points. Also, turn your head to check the lanes next to you before switching.

Old 08-23-2011 | 10:58 AM
          frontiercat
          Elite HDF Member

Full face, short sleeve tshirt and gloves...

Name:  IMG_0781.jpg
Views: 2803
Size:  94.4 KB

Old 08-23-2011 | 11:31 AM
          DeD Fred
          Road Master

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
          I have to disagree.

Even on a 3/4 helmet, at highway speeds, my eyes water like crazy, and then I really AM blind.

With a well made FF helmet, my eyes don't water at all, allowing me to see more.
          Every FF has blind spots on the sides. and right in front of you. They are heavy, and NO ONE wears a neck collar which is now required on all race tracks.

You wear glasses with any helmet. I get nay a tear from my 1/2 or 3/4 lid.

Once again you all admit you cant hear as good.

BTW that last post was made as FF mantra sarcasm.

Originally Posted by Pagan48
          My FF doesn't seem limit my vision.

Maybe you tried the wrong one or are listening to other naysayers without trying it yourself.
          "seem"
          means you put up with your blind spots. You and other are willing to exchange less hearing and sight for an open casket and the false sense of security.

I raced until they required FF helmets. When my front tire blew at 135mph, the weight on my bucket smacked my chin into the pavement, and shattered the helmet, imbedding pieces of the helmet into my face.

Not only have I tired them, my wife wears a Scorpion Evo. Which Ive worn twice, and could not handle the lack to situation awareness.

Last edited by DeD Fred; 08-23-2011 at 11:36 AM.
          Old 08-23-2011 | 11:32 AM
          aklim156581
          Road Master

Rode down to the parents place 90 miles away. On the way home, a huge bug went SPLAT on my face shield right below my eye. Might not have been so good if I had my face shield up.

Old 08-23-2011 | 12:05 PM
          traveler
          Seasoned HDF Member

It works for me, that's all.

I'm all for guys having the freedom to make that call one way or the other.

~Joe

Old 08-23-2011 | 02:14 PM
          cameraboy
          Outstanding HDF Member

The "blind spot" in front of a FF helmet is on your tank, where you should not be looking anyway if you are going to be all about "situational awareness."

There is ZERO evidence that a FF helmet contributes to any neck injury.

We have evidence that they contribute to face-saving injuries.

A modern FF helmet will not shatter and embed anything into your face either.

Wear what you want, but people should have accurate information.

Old 08-23-2011 | 02:55 PM
          swordy
          Big Kahuna HDF Member

if you've got a $10 head wear a $10 skidlid

Old 08-23-2011 | 03:30 PM
          traveler
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cameraboy
          The "blind spot" in front of a FF helmet is on your tank, where you should not be looking anyway if you are going to be all about "situational awareness."

There is ZERO evidence that a FF helmet contributes to any neck injury.

We have evidence that they contribute to face-saving injuries.

A modern FF helmet will not shatter and embed anything into your face either.

Wear what you want, but people should have accurate information.
          Without a HANS device, it IS possible for the helmet to hurt your neck or base of skull. Lack of a HANS device is what killed Dale Earnhardt Sr. in 2001.

But.....riding motorcycles is inherently risky....and there is no cure all....other than stop riding.

~Joe

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?