Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011 | 09:57 AM
          Blackfly
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Thumper26
          Just remember what your helmet is protecting - how much "looking cool" is that worth? And believe me, a good helmet in a bad circumstance can mean the difference between living to ride another day, and not.
          Hey thumper, what I was saying was I will wear the half when I'm in the no law state. I like how my brain and face are arranged as is.
          P.S. when are they gonna come out with the head and spine airbags for your leathers ?

Last edited by Blackfly; 08-13-2011 at 10:07 AM.
          Old 08-15-2011 | 12:54 PM
          Dan2002
          1st Gear
          Default "Opinions are like rectal canals"

I am a new rider. I know my chances are higher of an accident, regardless of my practice, MSF training, and DL Endorsement, and all the reading I've done (Proficient Motorcycling, Maximum Control, Riding in the Zone, all highly recommended)....I bought a 3/4 helmet years ago and it is simply decoration now. I wont get on a bike without a full face helmet, and I made sure my first bike had a windshield. I wear a leather jacket, gloves, jeans, boots and a full face every time out. I also am going to purchase an orange HD vest to wear when I ride. I also want to buy 2 more jackets, one for summer, one for winter, both fully armored. One thing about my personality that is to my advantage as a rider, is that I really dont give 2 pieces of fecal matter what others think. I purchased an 883 Sportster because I personally liked the size and weight of the ride, and especially the cost (2800.00 for a 2002 with 26,000 miles)...Are some ignorant drunks going to comment about "my girlfriend has a Hugger"?....sure. Do I give a ****? No. To me manhood is proven on how fast I can pleasure a woman in bed and how many punches it takes me to KO someone who challenges me. I also want to purchase some armored leather pants,

Old 08-15-2011 | 01:30 PM
          extsieg
          Cruiser

****, now I have to sell my bike and buy a Honda, why didn't anyone tell me about this rule?

Old 08-15-2011 | 03:35 PM
          SavageSully
          Intermediate

Nothin wrong with a Full face. Wear what you're comfortable in. I wear a half when it's hot... Atlanta, GA HOTT!! This is a pic of my cold/wet weather/day trip helmet. I recently went on a 150 mile day trip & rode in it so I could listen to my iPhone (low volume so I could still hear what was around me). With no windshield I prefer the protection of my full face on the highway & mostly just wear my half helmet for short joy riding on hot days or goin to get smokes & beer at the corner store.

As far as what other people think screw 'em. You RIDE a H-D! Enough Said.

Last edited by SavageSully; 08-15-2011 at 03:42 PM.
          Old 08-15-2011 | 04:11 PM
          IronBoy883
          Road Captain

When I first bought my bike I only had a HD full face helmet, than as I got more comfortable I bought a half shell. I still wear the fullface if I am going to commute to school and on the parkway for long periods of time or if there is a chance of some rain in the forecast, nothing worse than rain too the face at hwy speeds, especially without a front fender ... But if someone says that real harley riders dont wear full face helmets than they are ignorant ! and think prob think that they are part of a legit MC when all they are is overweight dicks imo haha wear what you want and have fun !

Old 08-15-2011 | 04:28 PM
          SeeMeDo
          Road Warrior

do yo know what cement taste like? I tasted it from a bicycle wreck couldn't imagine getting a longer lick.

Old 08-15-2011 | 11:09 PM
          Brainstormer
          4th Gear

Three days ago at 7:45 am, traffic suddenly began to slow and swerve on the three-lane freeway. It turned out to be a motorcycle wreck, the touring bike crumpled up ahead. While we did not see what happened, seeing the rider lying in the middle lane of the freeway with bloody arms twisted beneath him and his face bloodied from the slide gave me a very sick feeling in my gut. The rider was still wearing his 3/4 helmet, but it was obviously not enough protection. I own both a half and a full-face helmet; the full face will be used more frequently. I have not heard how the rider fared, but we hope for the best.

Old 08-16-2011 | 01:17 AM
          DeD Fred
          Road Master

Helmets have to do with rider experience and type of wreck.

There is no cure all. Yet the FF montra carries on. I hope you never have to find out they dont work well either.

Old 08-16-2011 | 10:21 AM
          IronHorse570
          Intermediate

Wear what you want. There is no dress code for riding a Harley. Personally I don't like full face helmets from the past, too bulky. However they have changed alot over the years and may consider getting a new one for colder weather riding. The older i get the less I can tolerate the cold. Do your thing and screw everyone else, dont worry about what others say.

Old 08-16-2011 | 11:23 AM
          HD 472
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          No you don't look douchey...You look like you're doing your own thing....Keep doing what you want to do....

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?