Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011 | 08:19 PM
          Glenpocalypse
          Advanced

Another topic that I keep thinking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0

Old 08-12-2011 | 09:04 PM
          sanaga
          Road Captain

min 3/4...long ride is full face modular

Old 08-12-2011 | 09:27 PM
          mcain49
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          JMO - Too much emphasis is put on what Harley riders do or don't do, and what others think. You should wear whatever the hell you want to, and what you feel comfortable with. I wear a half helmet because it suits me. If I wanted to wear a full face helmet I would do so and not give a hoot in hell what anyone else thinks. Ride safe.

Old 08-12-2011 | 10:07 PM
          truckerdave
          senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise

See attached photo. I hit hard enough to knock me out. Care to guess what my face would have looked like if i had not been wearing that? If i had not been wearing one at all i would be getting coloring books for christmas the rest of my life.

Attached Thumbnails Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?-photo0030.jpg  
          Old 08-12-2011 | 10:17 PM
          j1mmy
          Elite HDF Member

you dont look any worse wearing a full face helmet on the street then say some one driving there car down the street looks wearing a helmet.. i mean your ride might turn into a 120mph race at anytime..

Old 08-12-2011 | 11:02 PM
          DamonKirry
          6th Gear

I switch depending on the weather. And I'm riding an old Ironhead. Sure guys have given me crap about it. They can eat a D**K

Old 08-12-2011 | 11:40 PM
          CSS_FXD
          Road Warrior

those Iron's are bad *** i think!

as for a FF, I wear a Daytona 3/4. had a skid lid half and hated it wind noise is hell. So a 3/4 block the wind and still looks cool to me and protects well. I dont wear a FF cause i feel i cant see the best out of them and that to me is not safe at all.

wear what you want brother and enjoy the road!

Old 08-12-2011 | 11:44 PM
          sickboy949
          Tourer

Harley owners don't give a **** what people think ! I don't wear full face myself I got the bell 500 3/4 but I don't care what others wear ride on brotha

Old 08-13-2011 | 01:33 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by j1mmy
          you dont look any worse wearing a full face helmet on the street then say some one driving there car down the street looks wearing a helmet.. i mean your ride might turn into a 120mph race at anytime..
          That's true. Then again you can fall over making a u-turn on a slippery patch, hit your head and die. Or flip over a car that doesn't see you and land on your face.

Old 08-13-2011 | 07:52 AM
          Ergonight
          Road Master

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel

The FF is not just for safety, but comfort. I have a 1/2, but whenever I ride with it two things happen. One, the thing is always trying to pull off my head. And two, I invariably get hit in the face by something large and painful (dragonfly, bees, rocks, etc.).
          +1
          Absolutely. I have the half for short rides during the heat of the day. If I'm going for a longer ride or anytime after late afternoon or night I wear the ff. Damn bugs hurt and make a mess on your glasses. Not to mention less wind noise and it's just plain safer.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?