Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011 | 05:27 PM
          rlggray
          Tourer

Originally Posted by Voony
          There is a lot of truth here. I too see a lot of bikers (Harleys, sport bikes, etc.) wearing a FF but in shorts and short sleeves shirt?
          I guess they think bones heal & skin grows back but heads don't.

Old 08-12-2011 | 05:40 PM
          bmxatv
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Voony
          There is a lot of truth here. I too see a lot of bikers (Harleys, sport bikes, etc.) wearing a FF but in shorts and short sleeves shirt?
          that's called a

where i comes from....

Old 08-12-2011 | 06:15 PM
          murphy08
          Advanced

rather b safe then sorry I wear my half around town and a full face on long trips

Old 08-12-2011 | 06:55 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Full face or nothing. If you don't think so just put your 1/2 or 3/4 of which i own all 3 and lay face down on your living room floor and see how much protection you get on your face, jaw, etc.. Imagine that at any speed on the asphalt. Does my helmet gaurentee my survival in a crash. Nope but I've got a heck of alot better chance then some skull bouncing off the road thats for sure and you know what. That's enough reason for me. I also prefer the comfort factor that comes with riding with a FF.

Old 08-12-2011 | 07:06 PM
          Vitric
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          Do you think you look like a douche? If not, then simply ignore what anyone else will tell you. The only thing I don't understand is when I see some squid on a sport bike wearing a t-shirt, shorts, sandles, and... a full face helmet. An expensive one at that. I guess when they crash (not if, when) the helmet will magically envelop them in an impenetrable shield and they will be safe. I never understood that..

Originally Posted by Vitric
          squid
          Oh yeah.

As for me, when I started riding, I would always wear my full face (shoei RF1000), a vented armored jacket, boots, gloves, and tough jeans.

Well, the gloves were the first thing to go because I realized my hands were seriously cramping after half an hour of riding with them. The jacket went shortly after because I got tired of sweating on hot days. Then I got tired of not being able to smoke while riding with the full face, so I replaced it with a cheap half helmet from leatherup.com. Eventually I got used to the feeling of the wind in my face, so I kept wearing it. Started wearing shorts, sneakers, and t-shirts as time went on.

As other people have said, not wearing a helmet is an incredible feeling because of all the wind going over your scalp. Honestly, a helmet is the most annoying thing IMO during long rides because sweat builds up inside and saturates the helmet lining, which proceeds to drip all over your head. Pretty much, wear whatever you want. I've never criticized anybody for not wearing any protective gear

Last edited by Vitric; 08-12-2011 at 07:20 PM.
          Old 08-12-2011 | 07:11 PM
          UFOtestpilot
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
          The news article that I always quote when these posts come about:

KOMO News Channel 4 Seattle:

4 Bikers killed on Mt Rainer, On two motorcycles were traveling up hill and behind a logging truck. A ski bus was coming down hill and went to pass the logging truck and hit both bikes.
          One couple hit the guard rail, and was thrown over the 150ft ravine. The ohter couple went under the bus.......

"and Connie, none of the riders were wearing helmets"

Yeah there are FF riders who look good in a casket, and ones who look bad in a hospital bed. Half-lidded riders who are unrecognizable at the scene, and ones who come out just fine.

The point some folks are losing here is that the OP didn't ask which one they SHOULD wear, or even which one YOU wear. They asked whether or not there was a stigma amongst the "generalized" "H-D" crowd.

I agree with those who have answered along the lines of: "who cares what anyone thinks? Ride with whatever you are comfortable in." If you are more comfortable in a one-piece with armor and a FF, it doesn't matter what type of cycle you ride, do what you do for you and let everyone else carry their BS around.

Old 08-12-2011 | 07:15 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

I wish I could catch up on 20 pages.

But nowadays, to me the skull cap just looks ridiculous and I've always worn a FF. Lots of club riders wear FF helmets too.

FYI for some, if you buy a quality FF, the venting helps the sweating immensely. And if you don't have a helmet, you don't know you're sweating because it's evaporating.

This is what I've always said: If I go down, its not going to be my fault and I sure as hell plan on getting back up provided I have the proper gear on.

If I'm sliding face first at 30 or 80mph, I'm keeping my face intact, thank you.

Old 08-12-2011 | 07:19 PM
          traveler
          Seasoned HDF Member

Riding is a risk....irregardless of what type of helmet you wear, there is a very real possibility you can be seriously maimed for life or even killed.

At some point, maybe it's best for a guy to just not ride motorcycles anymore.

~Joe

Old 08-12-2011 | 08:00 PM
          blindsquirrel
          Advanced

Go ahead and sport your full face...I wear mine when it's cold. The rest of the time I wear a half shell. I never ride without one or the other.

Old 08-12-2011 | 08:02 PM
          thoner7
          Tourer

I have a 3/4 and on my way home, in the driving rain at 70 mph, it felt like I was repeatedly getting shot in the face with a pellet gun. I have worn a full face before and really didnt like it, I prefer the wind in my face, but I would have loved it today. I bet they would be nicer on long rides cause sun glasses dont keep your eyes from watering after a while/.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?