Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011 | 11:31 AM
          Voony
          Outstanding HDF Member

I used to have a FF helmet until 1 month ago. I have a half helmet now because the sound resonance was very uncomfortable and couldn't hear much of what was going on outside.

I didn't feel that having a FF was an abomination on a Harley :-)

Old 08-12-2011 | 12:13 PM
          DeD Fred
          Road Master

When I see these FF mantra posts I see folks never factor in, rider experience, riding conditions, type of roads (urban vs rural), and a lot more stuff. The Harley Riders dont wear FF comes form most are older riders, or RUBS. Either way they do not ALL the Harley riders by any means.

Two things that chap my hide.
          1) The false sense of invulnerability that kids get from wearing FF.
          2) Not all but a lot of folks that wear $7-900 FF buckets wear tennis shoes, jeans, tee shirts maybe mesh jackets.

I counted 11 sporkbike riders one day coming home from work. Not one of them were properly dressed. Yet every one had a costly FF helmet.

There are good and bad things about every type of helmet. I just get tired of hearing how Im this or that for wearing the SAME 1/2 skid lid since 1986 when I bought the bucket I wear 5 days a week. I do own a 3/4 Speed Racer Italian bucket, but only wear it when Im the only rider on the road. It seems all the FF riders go hide come winter through spring.

The news article that I always quote when these posts come about:

KOMO News Channel 4 Seattle:

4 Bikers killed on Mt Rainer, On two motorcycles were traveling up hill and behind a logging truck. A ski bus was coming down hill and went to pass the logging truck and hit both bikes.
          One couple hit the guard rail, and was thrown over the 150ft ravine. The ohter couple went under the bus.......

"and Connie, none of the riders were wearing helmets"

Old 08-12-2011 | 01:10 PM
          aklim156581
          Road Master

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
          You may look a bit douchey but I'd love to see a chick riding with a full face helmet, gloves and NOTHING ELSE!
          You and me both

Old 08-12-2011 | 01:19 PM
          aklim156581
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerously
          What a pinhead! Did this guy say anything about being willing to sign a contract to pay for your medical bills if you crash?
          I don't care about payment for medical bills. I cannot grow skin and bone as easily as I can have my insurance pay for it. THAT is my problem. Also, I am a pu$$y. The less pain, the better

I wear a full face helmet because I don't want a bug in my eye. Yes, it did happen the other day. SPLAT, right where my eyes would have been.

Old 08-12-2011 | 01:21 PM
          aklim156581
          Road Master

Originally Posted by badger1984
          But the issue with skills is that you can't plan for the idiot who runs a light or just pulls out in front of you giving you NO time. Our safety instructor for our chapter (25 years a motor cop) went down a few weeks ago...the only thing saving him was his riding gear.

It's all personal choice, I feel naked if I don't ride with my gear on.
          JM2C
          And my instructor showed us a helmet of a former student. If he had just worn a skull cap, we'd still be picking pieces of his face off the pavement. NOT pretty.

Old 08-12-2011 | 01:32 PM
          aklim156581
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Malibyte
          Why is it that whenever someone starts a thread on safety issues, there's always a couple of people that have to throw in pics like that and imply that anybody looking to improve their odds a bit is a pu$$y?
          Why are people afraid of looking like a pu$$y? As I say, if you are not blowing me or signing my paycheck, your opinion probably isn't significant. When you are paying for my bike and gear, I'll listen to you. When you are giving technical advice, probably. That said, I used to go to dept stores and have the pretty girls tell me what they think looks good on me. Got me a couple dates that way but I digress.

Old 08-12-2011 | 01:46 PM
          aklim156581
          Road Master

Soon as I got my license in spring, I already had a FF helmet. Also bought a jacket with armor and pants and boots and gloves. As said, I can earn money back faster than I can grow skin and bone.

Old 08-12-2011 | 02:09 PM
          jbyun
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          To answer your question, yes you are douchey. Not because of what you wear but because you care so much about how you're perceived by others who you don't even know.

Please ditch the Harley and go buy a moped.

Old 08-12-2011 | 02:50 PM
          desert drifter
          Cruiser

Just wear what you want, your lucky to have the choice...., you know what will happen if you do or dont.

Old 08-12-2011 | 04:12 PM
          Voony
          Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
          When I see these FF mantra posts I see folks never factor in, rider experience, riding conditions, type of roads (urban vs rural), and a lot more stuff. The Harley Riders dont wear FF comes form most are older riders, or RUBS. Either way they do not ALL the Harley riders by any means.

Two things that chap my hide.
          1) The false sense of invulnerability that kids get from wearing FF.
          2) Not all but a lot of folks that wear $7-900 FF buckets wear tennis shoes, jeans, tee shirts maybe mesh jackets.

I counted 11 sporkbike riders one day coming home from work. Not one of them were properly dressed. Yet every one had a costly FF helmet.

There are good and bad things about every type of helmet. I just get tired of hearing how Im this or that for wearing the SAME 1/2 skid lid since 1986 when I bought the bucket I wear 5 days a week. I do own a 3/4 Speed Racer Italian bucket, but only wear it when Im the only rider on the road. It seems all the FF riders go hide come winter through spring.

The news article that I always quote when these posts come about:

KOMO News Channel 4 Seattle:

4 Bikers killed on Mt Rainer, On two motorcycles were traveling up hill and behind a logging truck. A ski bus was coming down hill and went to pass the logging truck and hit both bikes.
          One couple hit the guard rail, and was thrown over the 150ft ravine. The ohter couple went under the bus.......

"and Connie, none of the riders were wearing helmets"
          There is a lot of truth here. I too see a lot of bikers (Harleys, sport bikes, etc.) wearing a FF but in shorts and short sleeves shirt?

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?