Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010 | 11:56 AM
          blackyck
          Tourer
          Old 08-10-2010 | 12:11 PM
          catlkn
          Road Captain
          Old 08-10-2010 | 12:34 PM
          Vroom Vroom
          Intermediate
          Default Bad biker

And that's why he's single

Old 08-12-2011 | 05:48 AM
          Blackfly
          Road Master

Hey I am a rookie here and the title caught my attention. I am about to get my first bike and in order to have some real fun, I'm gonna need to ride the F'in gauntlet of the trip through New York city, in order to get up to my cabin in Connecticut, (where there's no helmet law). I already had gone in to the harley shop and ordered a half helmet before I took my class. But one instructor who 's been riding since childhood said the range was the only place he'd wear a half helmet. So I think I"ll buy a full face for the trip up. then switch to the half when I get to an empty road in the woods where the law says I don't need 'nothin but a rag to look cool.

Old 08-12-2011 | 06:17 AM
          Thumper26
          Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blackfly
          Hey I am a rookie here and the title caught my attention. I am about to get my first bike and in order to have some real fun, I'm gonna need to ride the F'in gauntlet of the trip through New York city, in order to get up to my cabin in Connecticut, (where there's no helmet law). I already had gone in to the harley shop and ordered a half helmet before I took my class. But one instructor who 's been riding since childhood said the range was the only place he'd wear a half helmet. So I think I"ll buy a full face for the trip up. then switch to the half when I get to an empty road in the woods where the law says I don't need 'nothin but a rag to look cool.
          Just remember what your helmet is protecting - how much "looking cool" is that worth? And believe me, a good helmet in a bad circumstance can mean the difference between living to ride another day, and not.

Old 08-12-2011 | 06:23 AM
          ken rox
          Cruiser

i really enjoy my open helmet when the weather is nice (even if it rains). the wind the road the sound etc..
          but i have a sneaky suspicion that those 'real'(?!) harley owners probably don't ride in rain, cold and high winds. even a neoprene mask wont save you when it's below 12c (53f) outside.

- hey honey look at my new facial paralysis, how cool is that? : P

Last edited by ken rox; 08-12-2011 at 06:41 AM.
          Old 08-12-2011 | 06:45 AM
          jafhdo
          Cruiser

I own a FF, a flip-up convertible, a 3/4 and a skid lid. The FF isn't as comfortable as the flip-up so it doesn't get worn much any longer. Weather determines which one I use.

'Real riders' could give a rats azz what you wear or what you ride just so long as you ride.

Old 08-12-2011 | 06:57 AM
          TKDKurt
          Elite HDF Member

You'll be much happier if you ignore any sentence that begins with "Real Harley riders ________." Some jackass will say that blank should be filled with:
          • don't wear helmets [at all]
          • don't wear FF helmets
          • don't wear armor
          • don't ride Sportsters
          • Or, even worse, don't ride PURPLE Sportsters
          The thing is, I've never heard a REAL Harley rider say any of those things. Real Harley riders respect what every other Harley rider rides and what they wear when they ride it. I went to my first HOG chapter meeting this week and saw the full gamut of possibilities of bikes, accessories and safety gear. No one made fun of anyone else.

To answer your question, I have been riding with a Bell RS-1 since I bought my bike. A week ago I bought a half helmet to wear on my evening, back-country rides and for low speed cruising when I get to my destination. On long trips (I take a lot, I'm putting on about a 1000 miles a month) I'll continue to wear the FF. I have no windshield ("Real Harleys don't have windshields??" ) and, in addition to being safer, the FF is more comfortable--less buffeting, less wind noise.

Wear what you are comfortable in and enjoy the ride!

Old 08-12-2011 | 07:11 AM
          VTwinJaxFL
          Road Captain

Whoever told you that was an idiot that had no friends when he grew up and was beat up a lot in high school. He now has found a common group of like minded people that are at the bottom of the intelligence spectrum. If you listen to him and become one, you too will be part of this group of like minded idiots. A real Harley Owner or real Harley Rider does whatever he wants to and doesn't cower down to people that try to intimidate him. I'm not telling you to be disregardful, but if you take a good look at the person that told you this, I'm sure you will see what I am talking about.

Old 08-12-2011 | 07:16 AM
          DavidStiebel
          Road Warrior

Tell the dork to blow me, then well talk about phase2.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?