Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010 | 01:08 PM
          Frank B
          Intermediate

I've only gone down once, and it was only at 30mph or so. I went too wide in a turn and washed the front tire out in the gravel at the edge of the road. I basically just fell flat onto the pavement and the bike slid a few feet, no real damage to me or the bike. BUT, there were huge gouges in the chin bar and face shield from a few pieces of gravel. If I were'nt wearing a full face helmet, that would have been my face. Ever since then I've never even considered less than full face.
          While riding I've noticed that other Harley riders won't wave untill they get close enough to see that I'm on a Harley too, that's sad really.
          If your serious about riding, wear appropriate gear, if your looking to impress ignorant people, wear a skull cap, tank top, shorts, and flip flops and hang out in gas station parking lots.
          I think you've made the right choice right away and started with a full face helmet, and the proper training.

Old 08-06-2010 | 02:52 PM
          brenn
          Elite HDF Member

Wear whatever you want. No matter what helmet you wear or none at all you will get about the same sized segment of people giving you crap about it.

Old 08-06-2010 | 02:55 PM
          edlanta
          Novice

i wear 3/4, i like the wind in my face but to each their own. are you trying to have a good time or impress folks? if your out tryin to have a good time why would it matter what ANY body else thinks? do what you want and tell the fashion police to f' off! chances are they're not real bikers.

Old 08-06-2010 | 08:16 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

While riding I've noticed that other Harley riders won't wave untill they get close enough to see that I'm on a Harley too, that's sad really.
          I wave to all bikers on 2 wheels, Scooters get the brush off lol.

WTF is a REAL HARLEY RIDER anyways. I ride motorcycles but Harley Davidson just happens to be the bike i like most when it comes to choosing. I've ridden many other brands. To many HD riders that belong to biker boy scout clubs thinking they are bad asses just because they own a Harley and ride in groups. Ultimately Harley Davidsons are just one brand name that alot of of choose to ride for various reasons. Do REAL GOLD WING or REAL VICTORY RIDERS wear helmets? Heck yeah they do. It's FF or nothing if you choose to protect your skull. Riding a HD doesn't make you my brother by default sorry.

Last edited by Wildon883R; 08-06-2010 at 08:19 PM.
          Old 08-07-2010 | 01:41 AM
          AnimalRides
          Cruiser

I got caught in the rain the other day and was REALLY glad I had on a full face. Of course, it wouldn't have been so bad if I had a front fender.

Old 08-07-2010 | 09:01 AM
          CapnAdventure
          Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          The weird part is that I think my full face looks pretty bad ***. Its flat black with a dark tinted visor. When I wear my boots, leather jacket, jeans and my ff I feel like something out of a comic book lol.
          Don't worry, you'll get used to yourself in no time. As for the "girls bike" comment (which has been beaten to death in these forums), it happened to me only once. I grabbed my boys, paused for a moment and said "nope, it's all there". The guy cracked up and apologized.

Old 08-09-2010 | 07:00 AM
          DeathProof72
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Frank B
          Indeed, I find the same too. I ride a sportbike as well as a Harley, and when I am on my CBR, almost no Harley riders wave, but when I am on my Harley, I do get at least most waves from Sport Riders. Funny.. And yes, sad..

Old 08-09-2010 | 11:22 AM
          GENRLEE01
          Advanced

I have a ff scorpion exo 400 with wild skull and star graphics on it. Love that thing! I don't leave home without it unless I'm just going down the road. Don't let others dictate what you do or what sort of helmet you wear or don't wear. It's your head!!

Old 08-09-2010 | 11:53 AM
          66cruiser
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Frank B
          I think what's sad is that someone who rides a Harley can get their panties in a bunch because someone doesn't wave at them. Several guys I ride with feel like I do that this whole wave thing is silly.. I think it started as a chick thing & spread like the crabs on a ship. We never waved when I started riding & I don't do it now, & I don't feel the slightest bit sad about it.

Old 08-09-2010 | 12:05 PM
          DeathProof72
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.
          BTW, there are some great options to consider in terms of summer protective jackets. While not as protective as leather, there are a number of good armoured mesh jackets to consider. I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 jacket, which does come in just black to match your helmet if you want. Personally, I prefer High Res Yellow, so as to be seen! As you can see, I am not personally concerned either for image...Safety first, seriously...

Last edited by DeathProof72; 08-09-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?