Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015 | 01:26 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bgup619
          My point was that he was preaching about being so safe he wore a bright yellow helmet yet purposely impaired his hearing.. Those ideas contradict each other.. If you read on I also say that I didn't care what any of you wear or don't wear... I've been riding more of my life than I haven't and have been down a few times.. I am well aware of what I'm risking wearing a skid lid .. For me it's all about defensive riding.. Apply what you've learned ride like no one sees you.. Change lane position often, have an exit strategy.. Wear a fire suit for all I care..
          I would opt for the safety of a FF helmet than any slight noise reduction it offers all day.

Old 10-06-2015 | 02:10 PM
          Sootylad
          Cruiser

I bought an open face when I first started... Soon decided I preferred the look and safety of a FF not to mention the flip down sun visor...

Regarding hi-vis, I'm all in blacked out at the mo but I don't see how I could be missed since the lights would be on!?

Old 10-06-2015 | 02:23 PM
          GMRO
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by Lighteye
          After a catching a large chunk of asphalt/concrete/rock this morning, I'm going to a FF from my half.

I was rolling southbound on I-75 at 5:30 into work this morning and didn't even see it coming. No vehicles immediately in front of me, and whatever it was caught me just above the brim of the helmet. It rocked my head right on back. If it had hit 2" lower, or if I'd had no helmet, I'd be on a table in a bag at the county coroner's office. As is, it penetrated the outer paint and part of the shell. It looks as if a giant tried prying it open with a screwdriver.

In full daylight, I might have seen it and been able to duck. In the dark, you get almost no warning when something is flying into your head at 70+ MPH.

I have a life I plan on hanging onto for awhile and avoiding stupid risks is a valid strategy.

I still ride between 800-1,000 miles a week, but no more half helmets at night for me.

Trying to duck or be evasive on the road to miss a piece of something you didn't see? Like a matrix movie trick...but no slo-mo... Glad your ok!

I have a few helmets. 2 are full face, one is modular and one not. And I've a 1/2 too with I guess what you'd call snow goggles. I wear glasses and or contacts too. For me it’s not if you’re "real" or not - I don't care...I like the protection. Pending on the temperature I'll decide what's more comfortable. My 1/2 is just new to me this season and I have to say I do like it on the hot days.

In PA they do a bit of tar and chip on our roads. AND like you I've had something hit me to make the ricochet noise off the helmet or its hit my goggles. Afterwards I always think and THANK myself for wearing what I do when I ride. Even on my UC with the faring I've had things come up and hit me in the helmet.

Ride the way you like and ride with what you want or not on your head or body...your choice. Just like its mine.

Old 10-06-2015 | 04:26 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lighteye
          After a catching a large chunk of asphalt/concrete/rock this morning, I'm going to a FF from my half.

I was rolling southbound on I-75 at 5:30 into work this morning and didn't even see it coming. No vehicles immediately in front of me, and whatever it was caught me just above the brim of the helmet. It rocked my head right on back. If it had hit 2" lower, or if I'd had no helmet, I'd be on a table in a bag at the county coroner's office. As is, it penetrated the outer paint and part of the shell. It looks as if a giant tried prying it open with a screwdriver.

In full daylight, I might have seen it and been able to duck. In the dark, you get almost no warning when something is flying into your head at 70+ MPH.

I have a life I plan on hanging onto for awhile and avoiding stupid risks is a valid strategy.

I still ride between 800-1,000 miles a week, but no more half helmets at night for me.
          If no vehicle was in front of you where did this flying projectile come from? 800-1000 miles a week. I wish i had that much free time. I will agree that 1/2 helmets are in fact worthless in most every aspect except falling over while your not moving. Helmets of any type only offer very limited protection. My favorite part of helmets is noise reduction and protection from the elements. The only time i don't wear a FF helmet is when temps are over 80F Goggles and wind in my face with a 3/4 are my preferred choice.

Old 10-06-2015 | 04:42 PM
          Mattster
          Cruiser

I have a full face and love it. Even a bunch of the red and whites I ride with wear them

Old 10-07-2015 | 12:06 AM
          Deucedog
          Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dane M

I considered getting some of that high reflective tape and making racing stripes or something on my helmet, so it would still look stylish but have that safety factor. I've also just discovered that there is reflective spray paint, but I'm not sure how it would look, I know little about it.
          I found a place that sells reflective striping tape, in various colors and widths. During daylight it just looks like pin striping. At night when lights hit it the tape glows. I've had numerous positive comments on it.

The following users liked this post:
          skypeace (10-11-2018)