Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015 | 09:37 AM
          Greezey Rider
          Ultimate HDF Member

I wear a F/F helmet sometimes and a Crazy Al's helmet sometimes....But the whole Orange vest and yellow helmet thing strikes me as kind'a stupid.

If I was that scared of my motorcycle, I wouldn't even ride one.

Old 10-04-2015 | 10:45 AM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
          If I was that scared of my motorcycle, I wouldn't even ride one.
          This must be true, you posted it twice. Do you really think someone that chooses to make themselves more visible is "scared" of their motorcycle? How about people that that chose to not ride in the rain, are they scared or just have other priorities? Are the people that believe 'load pipes save lives', and change their exhaust, scared of riding with stock exhaust?

If you want to prove the how huge your cajones are get a dirt bike and ride/race off road. J/K

Seriously, we all have different experiences/priorities.

Old 10-04-2015 | 12:09 PM
          MANDO-MAN
          Intermediate

A Harley owner that's true to the culture, lifestyle and himself lives by his own standards and doesn't require validation from others to feel adequate as a "Real Harley Rider". In other words, this kind of rider doesn't give two ****s about what the next man is doing and simply marches to the beat of his own drum. Nuff said!

Old 10-04-2015 | 12:27 PM
          Square
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by MANDO-MAN
          A Harley owner that's true to the culture, lifestyle and himself lives by his own standards and doesn't require validation from others to feel adequate as a "Real Harley Rider". In other words, this kind of rider doesn't give two ****s about what the next man is doing and simply marches to the beat of his own drum. Nuff said!
          Excellent!

Old 10-05-2015 | 07:11 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bgup619
          So you wear a ff for safety but listen to the radio inside the helmet while you ride? Those seem like opposing ideas.. Your ears are are an important sense when truly riding defensively...
          It's an aspect, but would you ride or drive deaf?

Commuters, which includes dense traffic and cutting lanes (lane sharing), need all the visibility they can get.

Old 10-05-2015 | 07:32 PM
          IdahoHacker
          Club Member
          Veteran: Army

I'm probably a good example of the "listening to music" question...

Mainly because I just can't do it. I really, really like music. Attached is a pic of just my record collection. Well, most of it anyway. There's a bit more in my "other" listening room.

So, the problem with listening to music while I ride is that I really do listen. I focus on the music, actually, and that's the major problem. Once I realized I had no memory of the last ten miles, that was the end of that.

Old 10-05-2015 | 10:36 PM
          ylwf3vr
          Road Master

My ff helmet is torc with BT. When I'm wearing 1/2 I still wear BT earbuds. I like listening to NPR news on the way to work. They don't drown out other noise completely and earbuds for 1/2 acts almost like earplugs to keep the highway wind noise down.

Old 10-05-2015 | 11:17 PM
          KW HD
          Grand HDF Member

Let's see the system...

Old 10-05-2015 | 11:46 PM
          bgup619
          Tourer

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          It's an aspect, but would you ride or drive deaf?

Commuters, which includes dense traffic and cutting lanes (lane sharing), need all the visibility they can get.
          My point was that he was preaching about being so safe he wore a bright yellow helmet yet purposely impaired his hearing.. Those ideas contradict each other.. If you read on I also say that I didn't care what any of you wear or don't wear... I've been riding more of my life than I haven't and have been down a few times.. I am well aware of what I'm risking wearing a skid lid .. For me it's all about defensive riding.. Apply what you've learned ride like no one sees you.. Change lane position often, have an exit strategy.. Wear a fire suit for all I care..

Old 10-06-2015 | 12:59 PM
          Lighteye
          Tourer

After a catching a large chunk of asphalt/concrete/rock this morning, I'm going to a FF from my half.

I was rolling southbound on I-75 at 5:30 into work this morning and didn't even see it coming. No vehicles immediately in front of me, and whatever it was caught me just above the brim of the helmet. It rocked my head right on back. If it had hit 2" lower, or if I'd had no helmet, I'd be on a table in a bag at the county coroner's office. As is, it penetrated the outer paint and part of the shell. It looks as if a giant tried prying it open with a screwdriver.

In full daylight, I might have seen it and been able to duck. In the dark, you get almost no warning when something is flying into your head at 70+ MPH.

I have a life I plan on hanging onto for awhile and avoiding stupid risks is a valid strategy.

I still ride between 800-1,000 miles a week, but no more half helmets at night for me.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?