Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015 | 07:48 PM
          jonnybgood
          5th Gear

Not only do I wear a FF, but I wear one that's BRIGHT YELLOW. I have a newborn daughter, and it's about being around for her and my wife.

I do have a half shell that I wear when I'm running to the store a few blocks away, like someone else mentioned. But my everyday helmet is a FF, bright yellow, bluetooth Bilt helmet that allows me to listen to the radio and music whenever I want.

Old 10-03-2015 | 08:21 PM
          bgup619
          Tourer

So you wear a ff for safety but listen to the radio inside the helmet while you ride? Those seem like opposing ideas.. Your ears are are an important sense when truly riding defensively...

Old 10-03-2015 | 08:44 PM
          IdahoHacker
          Club Member
          Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by jonnybgood
          Not only do I wear a FF, but I wear one that's BRIGHT YELLOW. I have a newborn daughter, and it's about being around for her and my wife...
          Well, you're obviously not a real biker.

Real bikers dress from head to foot in flat black, so they visually blend into the pavement. That way it's 100% the ****ing cage driver's responsibility to see them, and 100% the ****ing cage driver's fault if they don't.

j/k!

Sorta.

(I might think about yellow! I wear a high-viz white/gray/black jacket and a white helmet.)

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 10-03-2015 at 09:35 PM.
          Old 10-03-2015 | 09:43 PM
          Dane M
          Road Master

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
          Well, you're obviously not a real biker.

Real bikers dress from head to foot in flat black, so they visually blend into the pavement. That way it's 100% the ****ing cage driver's responsibility to see them, and 100% the ****ing cage driver's fault if they don't.

j/k!

Sorta.

(I might think about yellow! I wear a high-viz white/gray/black jacket and a white helmet.)
          Yeah, "sorta" is right. It's a joke, but it's also totally not a joke.

My helmet isn't technically high vis, but it's bright orange! At dusk I always ride with high beam on. My other helmet is sparkly blue, which is high-er visibility, I don't ride at night with it however, daytime only.

I considered getting some of that high reflective tape and making racing stripes or something on my helmet, so it would still look stylish but have that safety factor. I've also just discovered that there is reflective spray paint, but I'm not sure how it would look, I know little about it.

Old 10-03-2015 | 11:09 PM
          jonnybgood
          5th Gear

Originally Posted by bgup619
          So you wear a ff for safety but listen to the radio inside the helmet while you ride? Those seem like opposing ideas.. Your ears are are an important sense when truly riding defensively...
          Come one, man. Do you wear a FF? Since I wear both, I KNOW that wearing a FF takes a lot of the hearing out naturally. But unless you've worn a helmet with bluetooth, you can't understand that there's VOLUME CONTROL.

So yeah, I listen to music and/or talk radio sometimes, but I also know that it's just enough to cancel out the wind noise. Not loud enough not to hear the important stuff.

Old 10-03-2015 | 11:17 PM
          bgup619
          Tourer

I rode sport bikes w ff for 25 years.. Admittedly with music on more than one occasion.. I do not usually wear my ff on my HD.. My point is that you preached wearing a yellow ff because of safety when we both know that music, talking or any other distraction isn't an ideally safe riding environment .. People can whatever they want, I could care less but as I said before your two comments are contradicting each other due to your maximum safety stance ... I guess I'm just a daredevil.. I just rode home from dinner, 2 up, with a skid lid and a black non reflective vest.. Basically I was invisible..

Old 10-03-2015 | 11:24 PM
          jonnybgood
          5th Gear

Originally Posted by bgup619
          My point is that you preached wearing a yellow ff because of safety when we both know that music, talking or any other distraction isn't an ideally safe riding environment
          I'm sure there are plenty of things that a lot of people can say are safe/not safe. I disagree on listening to music or talk radio in your helmet. There are plenty of people out there on HDs that use rider-to-rider communications and those aren't "unsafe."

But just because I listen to some music from time-to-time, doesn't negate my original point: high-vis is safer than non-high-vis. So maybe you can't wrap your head around the bluetooth idea, but at least you can agree that a bright yellow helmet is more visible than a black one.

And even if I have some music in my ears, I still have my eyes!

Old 10-04-2015 | 06:23 AM
          Rog48
          Elite HDF Member

The last several posts prove a point I always try to make. EVERYONE has their own risk level they are comfortable with. Doesnt matter how you put it, music IS a distraction, probably very small but is a distraction none the less. But it is a risk level you are comfortable with just as someone that doesnt even wear a helmet is comfortable with his risk level.

I do find amusing a reason thats often used when touting the use of at least a certain level of safety gear. "I have a wife and kids and they need me to be around" Uhhhhh.........why are you riding a motorcycle then? The ONLY way to insure you will not be injured or die from riding a motorcycle is to NOT ride a motorcycle.

Old 10-04-2015 | 08:10 AM
          Greezey Rider
          Ultimate HDF Member

If I was that scared of my motorcycle, I'd just quit riding altogether.

Old 10-04-2015 | 09:32 AM
          Tanuki
          Road Warrior

Tons of Harley riders where FF helmets, lots of club members in NZ where them and I'm sure its not about the safety aspect its more about the cops being able to identify the riders at a glance. I also notice more riders in this part of the world wearing them too especially as the colder weather approaches.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?