Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015 | 07:50 AM
          eleutheros
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          AGATT. And riders like myself ride safe and have equipment for safer crashing. If you don't think a FF is more effective than a 3/4 or 1/2, you're stupid, period.

The NFL helmet study is based on impacts, and has on partially to do with face guard protection, another analogy you missed. And you completely missed it about racing. And all the other contributions in this thread.

Driving without a seatbelt is sometimes a better experience, and rarely, a life saver. But it is stupid too.
          Yep, happily stupid enough to ride motorcycles since 1964.

More daily miles on a bike than in a cage, riding in helmet required and no-helmet required states.

AGATT. Good. As you know that is safer than some choose to be, but not even close to covering all the safety available. As you know your bike is not safe since only Gold Wings come with air bags.

Most riders who claim to use all safety gear, don’t. They have minimalized lighting instead of extra lighting, and don’t have air horns, leg guards, flourescent reflective clothing/helmets, airbags, peripheral vision glasses, full size windshields, extended full size rear view mirrors, ear plugs, safety vest, stability control, upgraded dual front brakes, flashing brake lights, flags, etc.

If you think you’re safe with a bucket, one inch of foam, and bump/scratch resistant clothing while riding next to 2,000 – 10,000 lbs of steel cages at 70 mph, and excuse any and all evidence otherwise as something “missed”, well ok, you win the no prize.

“But here is a puzzle. If the risk of riding is so high, how can some people ride motorcycles every day for decades” http://ridingsafely.com/ridingsafely1.html. “There are two approaches to avoiding accidents:
          • The SUV mentality: Have accidents, but avoid the results.
          • The Anti-SUV mentality: Avoid accidents entirely”

Old 06-17-2015 | 08:23 AM
          Twospot
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by eleutheros

More daily miles on a bike than in a cage, riding in helmet required and no-helmet required states.

AGATT. Good. As you know that is safer than some choose to be, but not even close to covering all the safety available. As you know your bike is not safe since only Gold Wings come with air bags.

Most riders who claim to use all safety gear, don’t. They have minimalized lighting instead of extra lighting, and don’t have air horns, leg guards, flourescent reflective clothing/helmets, airbags, peripheral vision glasses, full size windshields, extended full size rear view mirrors, ear plugs, safety vest, stability control, upgraded dual front brakes, flashing brake lights, flags, etc.

If you think you’re safe with a bucket, one inch of foam, and bump/scratch resistant clothing while riding next to 2,000 – 10,000 lbs of steel cages at 70 mph, and excuse any and all evidence otherwise as something “missed”, well ok, you win the no prize.

“But here is a puzzle. If the risk of riding is so high, how can some people ride motorcycles every day for decades” http://ridingsafely.com/ridingsafely1.html. “There are two approaches to avoiding accidents:
          I don't think anyone here will say they are SAFE because they are ATGATT (I know I won't say that) because riding is not safe. However I am SAFER for wearing ATGATT than those who do not. I have a higher chance of living and/or less injury in an accident. There clearly are exceptions. But overall I am safer... not safe. It's all about the ladder of risk.

Old 06-17-2015 | 10:23 AM
          IdahoHacker
          Club Member
          Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Rog48
          The blah blah blah was in reference to this never ending continuous loop thread...
          Exactly. I posted in another thread on this same topic, but it applies here as well.

There is a simple explanation why all of these threads not only never reach a conclusion, but always turn into pissing contests, and this is it:

The two groups of combatants are going back and forth, never realizing that they're arguing about two unrelated topics: avoiding injury, and avoiding crashes.

The two are, obviously, not the same thing, and yet nobody gets it, and the fighting goes on.

Have at it.

Old 06-17-2015 | 12:03 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

I don't even know what your point is now. 70mph or 5mph, if I hit the ground, my chances are much better with a helmet, including a FF helmet. That is undeniable and you can't seem to admit it.

Old 06-17-2015 | 01:49 PM
          siik2nr
          Cruiser

Google motorcycle squids.... I wear ATGATT (All the gear, all the time)

The lower part of your head takes 33% of all helmet accidents. That's not good odds. I wear FF with pinlock system.

Old 06-17-2015 | 07:44 PM
          eleutheros
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Twospot
          I don't think anyone here will say they are SAFE because they are ATGATT (I know I won't say that) because riding is not safe. However I am SAFER for wearing ATGATT than those who do not. I have a higher chance of living and/or less injury in an accident. There clearly are exceptions. But overall I am safer... not safe. It's all about the ladder of risk.
          Exactly what I said from the beginning. I just called it degrees of safety. Some people do not accept that.

"The two groups of combatants are going back and forth, never realizing that they're arguing about two unrelated topics: avoiding injury, and avoiding crashes."

That's my point. Some worry more about one than the other. But it's become even worse that some think EVERYONE crashes. If that were true motorcycling would have gone away a long time ago. Probably not even half of the 3 wheel atv riders got hurt, but it sure got a bad rep quick.

Last edited by eleutheros; 06-17-2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo
          Old 06-17-2015 | 08:20 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Probably not even half of the 3 wheel atv riders got hurt, but it sure got a bad rep quick.
          And has a result, 3 wheel ATVs aren't sold new anymore. And there was a time they outsold 2 wheeled dirt bikes. That made sense because it meant almost anyone could ride them. Another thing to consider is that because "everyone crashes" doesn't have to mean serious ambulance ride, hospital stay, crashes.

When discussing helmets even riders experiencing a minor slide going around a corner, or a slow speed get off, may benefit from a helmet if their heads hit something solid.

I agree "degrees of safety" is important. But for me that includes balancing the "misery(?)" of wearing a helmet for a few minutes, or hours, at a time against the possibility of living a life at less then 'full speed" or abilities.

Last edited by rjg883c; 06-17-2015 at 09:06 PM.
          Old 06-18-2015 | 07:39 AM
          eleutheros
          Road Master

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          And has a result, 3 wheel ATVs aren't sold new anymore. And there was a time they outsold 2 wheeled dirt bikes. That made sense because it meant almost anyone could ride them. Another thing to consider is that because "everyone crashes" doesn't have to mean serious ambulance ride, hospital stay, crashes.

When discussing helmets even riders experiencing a minor slide going around a corner, or a slow speed get off, may benefit from a helmet if their heads hit something solid.

I agree "degrees of safety" is important. But for me that includes balancing the "misery(?)" of wearing a helmet for a few minutes, or hours, at a time against the possibility of living a life at less then 'full speed" or abilities.
          Good post. Thanks. The personal decision of how safe/protected to be is everything.
          This is a ff thread, and the original question should be wear what you want without telling or forcing (with a law) others outside family to wear what you want them to wear.

"Everyone crashes" is just an opinion, maybe by those who have really had everyone around them go down (strange), and/or maybe those who think it must be so. Scaremongers will even include the future to anyone who says it's not so. Maybe some define it as including a minor slide and get off like you say. If that's it, and it includes not hitting the head, then it certainly can't be used to scare/force people into using helmets. It's completely open to interpretation. Lots of people have not had it happen as transportation.

If it means what I think it should mean, that is everyone crashes means a injury crash, and therefore it's used to justifies a law for everyone to wear a helmet, then it's absolutely false, else motorcycles would fall into the 3 wheel atv danger level, meaning it would be obvious.

We are not always honest with ourselves, but our lives count on it. Of my freedom of choices how much safety should I have to ride today? Flashing lights and horns, boots, helmet, or no ride at all? Our needs, personal feelings, experience, training, and health of the moment tells us. Sometimes I have told my wife no ride at all.

Old 06-18-2015 | 10:38 AM
          Twospot
          Road Captain

Good post. Thanks. The personal decision of how safe/protected to be is everything.
          This is a ff thread, and the original question should be wear what you want without telling or forcing (with a law) others outside family to wear what you want them to wear.

"Everyone crashes" is just an opinion, maybe by those who have really had everyone around them go down (strange), and/or maybe those who think it must be so. Scaremongers will even include the future to anyone who says it's not so. Maybe some define it as including a minor slide and get off like you say. If that's it, and it includes not hitting the head, then it certainly can't be used to scare/force people into using helmets. It's completely open to interpretation. Lots of people have not had it happen as transportation.

If it means what I think it should mean, that is everyone crashes means a injury crash, and therefore it's used to justifies a law for everyone to wear a helmet, then it's absolutely false, else motorcycles would fall into the 3 wheel atv danger level, meaning it would be obvious.

We are not always honest with ourselves, but our lives count on it. Of my freedom of choices how much safety should I have to ride today? Flashing lights and horns, boots, helmet, or no ride at all? Our needs, personal feelings, experience, training, and health of the moment tells us. Sometimes I have told my wife no ride at all.
          And this is a good post as well. I think OP's post was actually more about a specific view... real harley owners don't wear FF helmets. In my short riding career of just over a year, that assessment is correct. It is so rare I see that. However I am all for someone's right to choose. So for anyone to criticize another for there choice isn't right. Just as any other brand, the gear doesn't define a Harley owner. Owning a Harley does.

Old 06-18-2015 | 09:15 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twospot
          . real harley owners don't wear FF helmets. In my short riding career of just over a year, that assessment is correct.
          In 15.5 years in California and riding for 13, that assessment is wrong. Most of my friends switched to FF helmets. Many club members wear them.

First the term "real" is a joke. If you're licensed and riding an HD, you're a "real" HD rider.

It just so happens you need to comply to ride/drive on the roads with registration and insurance and the single most important safety device for a car (seatbelt) and motorcycle (helmet) just happen to be the two personal safety devices mandated. It isn't a question of freedom.

Still can't admit a FF is a superior choice?

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?